Forums

KYS? Is this even allowed?

Quick find code: 259-260-330-66022484

Pachuli714
Mar Member 2008

Pachuli714

Posts: 4,549 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
J R Kerr said :
well... answering for them, and a little for myself...
I had a rsof conversation with their risk management team, and problematically this game's best defense is "its just a game" because its got stuff like... thieving as a whole skill.
if some parent saw their kid get arrested for shoplifting they could charge jagex for 'value installation system programming' like this game encouraged their kid to steal.

part of what a clever legal team would be able to argue, if the game censored all offensive language is suggest that if they ban x, y, and z in chat that they have values, and they know thieving is bad etc, so they are guilty of programming kids to go steal.

But wouldn't using that same logic apply to all of the violence in this game and every single other one? Skilling is only a part of the game. But killing NPCs, killing bosses and killing in general is a huge part of Runescape. If a kid goes out and kills someone, you're saying his parents could make a case for Runescape being the instigator in his behavioral tendencies because he'd been encouraged to kill in the game?

If Thieving is ludicrous, wouldn't this be as well. And if it's not, then games everywhere have a lot more to worry about.

I don't think Jagex should "condone" this sort of behavior though -- being allowed to say "kys" to someone. They should be muted and if the repeat the offence, they should be censured, possibly banned. Have it done enough times and it will discourage others from following that sort of behavior.

It's like the damn Tide Pods all over again. The initial idiots weren't punished for promoting such behavior and it mushroomed from there. Only this can potentially be worse. A lot of us have learned to grow thick skins over the years but impressionable kids with issues might take some words very much to heart.

05-Jul-2018 16:54:37

Chee
Jul Member 2016

Chee

Posts: 1,946 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cyanid said :
Seriously who cares

lol if you seriously think anyone is going to kill themselves because some random insignificant person on the internet told them to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicides_that_have_been_attributed_to_bullying

this is only some of the many , many people
@Chee__RS
Maxed
Ironwoman
Completionist
Q
ue
st Mas
te
r

Max: 28 Jan 2018 | MQC: 9 Aug 2019 | Comp: 18 Oct 2019

09-Jul-2018 01:36:15

Chee
Jul Member 2016

Chee

Posts: 1,946 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Pachuli714 said :
I don't think Jagex should "condone" this sort of behavior though -- being allowed to say "kys" to someone. They should be muted and if the repeat the offence, they should be censured, possibly banned. Have it done enough times and it will discourage others from following that sort of behavior.

unfortunately, the many people who I have reported for this sort of thing have very clearly never had anything done before, since I see them day after day spewing disgusting phrases

I would love to see the statistics of people Jagex has muted for saying such vile things but I doubt we'll ever get anything like that solely because they don't do a damn thing
@Chee__RS
Maxed
Ironwoman
Completionist
Q
ue
st Mas
te
r

Max: 28 Jan 2018 | MQC: 9 Aug 2019 | Comp: 18 Oct 2019

09-Jul-2018 01:40:53

Lithuanian
Apr Member 2014

Lithuanian

Posts: 2,913 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's a hard topic.
I mean, if I went bossing with my friend who was at the boss for multiple hundred of hours looking for that one last drop and I got it while being with him in (let's say 1 hour total) and he would say kys, I would know what's up lol and laugh my ass off.

Another scenario, if a player is harassing and bullying another player and telling them to kys etc.

All in all. it all depends on the context, while many here might not accept/agree on it.
Some people say stuff to their friends/relatives and whatnot in a exaggerated way while having a completely different explication.
I don't think Jagex has the resources nor even the need to filter/manually check every case, to see which was meant in abusive way and which not
Success
consists of going from
failure
to
failure
without loss of
enthusiasm

5.6b xp [x] Moa [x] Mqc [x] Trim [x] Boss/Slay Logs [x] Max Runescore [x]

10-Jul-2018 23:54:10

626 fan club
Nov Member 2014

626 fan club

Posts: 3,700 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Chee said :
Cyanid said :
Seriously who cares

lol if you seriously think anyone is going to kill themselves because some random insignificant person on the internet told them to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicides_that_have_been_attributed_to_bullying

this is only some of the many , many people

your link doesn't help your argument because 1) someone telling you to "kys" then running off isn't bullying or harassment. 2) this includes cases that aren't just via the internet. so your cases in this list is very hard to work out which is done because of someone saying something on the internet.
Swift Leeches for all your Vorago
needs

21-Jul-2018 12:44:07

626 fan club
Nov Member 2014

626 fan club

Posts: 3,700 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
a filter would be nice for people that don't want to see things like "kys" but honestly don't think it's that big of a deal, a lot of people use it in conversation and don't actually mean "commit suicide" context matters a lot in speech, the bigger problem is the snowflakes honestly.
a lot of people will meet a random stranger on runescape, have 1 encounter with them and call it bullying or harassment which is not correct, for something to be either it has to be done repeatedly. and honestly, if your mental health is so severe that one random person telling you to "Kill yourself" has such an impact on you that you feel it's something you should do, I think it's time to see a doctor and tell them how you're feeling because at that point, it's a danger you being exposed to society.
Swift Leeches for all your Vorago
needs

21-Jul-2018 12:51:00

Quick find code: 259-260-330-66022484 Back to Top