Forums

rs already fire the guy who Thread is locked

Quick find code: 259-260-233-66142529

J R Kerr
May Member 2007

J R Kerr

Posts: 7,222 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
did jagex already fire the person who put the names "milo" and "pepe" in for frogs?

I know the TOS/EULA says not to demand stuff, and we already have dice that work to take off names we don't like, but it still needs saying that milo is a such a bitch we killed his whole career. can y'all just not pick fights I can't defend you against?

I hope you already fired whoever did that, cause... I like Raven, and I would find it real hard to believe Raven okayed that. Thats neonazi shit. Someone who was mad slipped that in before he got fired is my best guess.
I have quit rsof because moderator found comments about darklight bonus damage on demons "off topic" for wildy flash mobs full of demons

10-Feb-2020 22:52:22

Chee
Jul Member 2016

Chee

Posts: 1,946 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm guessing this post is based on the alt-right usage of 'pepe'?

He has another home though and that's Twitch, which AFAIK doesn't have that negative connotation associated, and I'm sure that whichever JMod added this was making a reference to Twitch, not a political one.

I'm not sure the justification for milo though, I'd be okay with them snipping him out of the picture.
@Chee__RS
Maxed
Ironwoman
Completionist
Q
ue
st Mas
te
r

Max: 28 Jan 2018 | MQC: 9 Aug 2019 | Comp: 18 Oct 2019

10-Feb-2020 23:28:31

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Posts: 18,096 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm from the UK and have no clue what is "wrong" with the names Milo and Pepe. They both seem fine to me..... O_o Because Jagex is in the UK perhaps whoever chose the names didn't know anything was controversial with them either.

11-Feb-2020 09:59:52

J R Kerr
May Member 2007

J R Kerr

both of yall have girl pixels, so maybe yer girls and you would see what is the problem if you knew milo was real famous for holding sign "regret is not rape" to antagonize actual rape survivors.

I have quit rsof because moderator found comments about darklight bonus damage on demons "off topic" for wildy flash mobs full of demons

11-Feb-2020 17:40:41

J R Kerr
May Member 2007

J R Kerr

like... if a monkey was named cosby, or harvey, or kobe... that'd be in poor taste, but at least it'd be shaming the antagonist. havin the name milo be in there is victim shaming.

I -really- do not think mark, raven, raven's brother, or the owner of the detroit pistons who was born in israel... forgot his name but he owns jagex now... I dont think they did it.

I think somebody who is already gone left that behind like a little time delayed explosive.

...and if it is the fault of someone we like... um... I am strongly hinting you lie, and blame it on someone who already got fired.

11-Feb-2020 17:43:17 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2020 17:46:07 by J R Kerr

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm going to be locking this, as not only do I feel like this is outside the scope of the forum in terms of political discussion, but it's also speculating about Jagex actions and attempting to paint Jagex in a bad light.

As always, if you disagree with a moderation decision, feel free to take it to Forum Moderation Review, but until a judgement is passed, I'd ask that you kindly not remake this thread.
Community Manager for Jagex

| Forum Help | Account Security |

11-Feb-2020 21:58:03

Mod Kari

Mod Kari

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user
I’m commenting here in order to state our stance on the subject and to offer some form of closure.

The frogs in question were named by a member of the team who was unaware of the negative references that you’ve raised in this thread. “Milo” was used to reference a frog from a children’s book that the JMod is familiar with (Harold, Freddie & Milo) and “Pepe” is of course a reference to Pepe the Frog, the infamous internet meme. No connection with Milo Yiannopoulos was intended and any such connection is a coincidence.

While we do strive to avoid potentially offensive names wherever we can, most names have some association to a negative person in history. It’s a stretch, but as an example Joseph could considered a reference to both Joseph Stalin and Joseph Goebbels. This isn’t the case of course, but it shows how easy it is to draw connections between names where no connection was intended.

It is also worth remembering (as mentioned by others above) that Jagex is a UK company with a global player base. As such any reference that might seem obvious to you could be obscure or entirely unknown to others, with said reference possibly being a complete coincidence in the first place.

This thread will remain locked and I kindly request that we move on from this topic.
Community Manager

Needs more Ben & Jerrys

18-Feb-2020 11:35:59

Quick find code: 259-260-233-66142529 Back to Top