Forums

Banned straight after Tutorial Thread is locked

Quick find code: 259-260-139-66190636

Flaze
Oct Member 2023

Flaze

Posts: 1,246 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I made a completely new account yesterday after having just maxed in the Trailblazer league. I put an Authenticator on it, paid for 1 month's membership, then logged in to play OSRS, I finished the Tutorial, briefly logged out then logged back in, I was booted off the account 5 seconds later, and when I tried to log in, it said my account was disabled.

When i logged into account management, it said I was banned for Macroing Major and it was unappealable. I don't know how this is possible since I had literally created the account about 15 minutes before, I contacted Jagex through email trying to appeal the ban and after explaining what happened, I got this response: https://i.imgur.com/luz2FhD.png

I have played this game for almost 14 years, maxed in RS3 when the game was actually still hard, spent thousands of dollars over the years on Bonds, Spins/Keys and Memberships just to get banned falsely on a brand new account and have my $13.49 AUD literally stolen with no way to get it back

How does this happen? I have heard it has happened to other players too, I just don't understand it, and how could I get a response with such blantant lying saying that the account was "comprehensively reviewed" and that the ban was "applied correctly"?

24-Nov-2020 17:49:45

Lions RAWR
Sep Member 2019

Lions RAWR

Posts: 9,270 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Flaze said :
How does this happen? I have heard it has happened to other players too, I just don't understand it, and how could I get a response with such blantant lying saying that the account was "comprehensively reviewed" and that the ban was "applied correctly"?

Have you been in trouble before for use of Macro's? If yes, could it be possible that it was still on your computer when you created your new account?

Something flagged the system right away when you created your new account and that was why you were banned right away (Imo).
Time to follow an trail of Treasure.
My Goals Lions Goals

26-Nov-2020 18:32:48

Kopaka
Dec Member 2023

Kopaka

Posts: 3,578 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lions RAWR said :
Have you been in trouble before for use of Macro's? If yes, could it be possible that it was still on your computer when you created your new account?

First, I am pretty sure Jagex does not have the ability to scan the user's computer for software. If they do, that's honestly a BIG PROBLEM and probably illegal.

Second, even if a player has used macroing software in the past, and hey, even if they use it currently, that's no excuse to ban an account that has not used it, and certainly not an excuse to accuse that account of using the macroing software if they haven't.

It's honestly mind boggling to me the indoctrinated hatred runescape players have for macros. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to use macros on things that are not Runescape, not to mention I think there are some very good arguments to be made that the rule against macros in Runescape is quite silly.

29-Nov-2020 14:48:09 - Last edited on 29-Nov-2020 14:49:13 by Kopaka

Mariva

Mariva

Posts: 401 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Very strange response.

If you're saying that there are very good arguments to be made for the use of macro's?

It takes away from the grind/achievement of legitimate players, besides why would you even want to play the game if you're going to let a robot do it for you?

The fact that you're so defensive in your response says enough, been macroing on other accounts at the same time perhaps?
If so they may have just banned all active accounts on the same ip. (and rightfully so)

14-Dec-2020 11:39:54

Santah Khan
Jul Member 2004

Santah Khan

Posts: 2,858 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kopaka said :
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to use macros on things that are not Runescape

Agreed. I have an ever expanding music library of MP3s. I have a filing system that works for me, and when I need to rename 35 filenames, all with the exact changes to be made. Either a hardware macro, or a software macro comes into use.

It isn't difficult to program my own Pascal program to regurgitate the same keystrokes in a DOS shell, or Window's Explorer screen. I don't suggest that anyone use a program they "found" on the web -- that's just asking for ID theft.

Yes, some software that allows macros, also steal information from the person using - hence, Jagex ban on Software Macro programs.

I've been using a specific keyboard, called the Gateway 2000, Anykey. You can tell it's age, from the company name. But it allows hardware remapping of any key, to any other key - for customised keyboard. It also has hardware keyboard macroing built in - excellent for renaming 35 filenames - all with the exact same changes.

27-Dec-2020 20:49:59 - Last edited on 27-Dec-2020 20:56:25 by Santah Khan

Lelouch Vi B
Jan Member 2017

Lelouch Vi B

Posts: 2,111 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kopaka said :
Lions RAWR said :

First, I am pretty sure Jagex does not have the ability to scan the user's computer for software. If they do, that's honestly a BIG PROBLEM and probably illegal.

No it's 100% legal. It's how a lot of cheating is detected; plenty of games sniff out popular cheat engines as their primary anti-cheat. It's also how programs know if the required support software is installed. How do you think the original launcher knew if you had Java installed or not? Even the modern launcher is able to detect things like how up-to-date your drivers are. You generally consent to having that info sniffed out when you agree to a ULA. They tend to only detect if it is actually running however; it shouldn't just trigger because it sees a macro software installed. As many have stated, there are perfectly legitimate uses for Macros outside of games.
Now with added
[SARCASM]
Warnings for those less astute!

Archaeology Elite Skill Suggestion

28-Dec-2020 00:23:11 - Last edited on 28-Dec-2020 00:31:34 by Lelouch Vi B

Top Knight
Jan Member 2007

Top Knight

Posts: 1,438 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Game Developers collect metrics that your pc feeds to them quietly behind the scene's. This is how the Developers are able to continually improve their game. I want to also say that just by playing the game, you agree to the collection of said metrics.

If you do anything questionable, should probably create a Virtual Machine to do it on and then import the finished product to the main OS.
We are defined by what we post.

11-Jan-2021 09:18:32

Quick find code: 259-260-139-66190636 Back to Top