Forums

HLF General Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579

Lathow
Oct Member 2005

Lathow

Posts: 20,529 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The whole game is built around random number generation. So many actions are 'hit or miss'. There are hidden rngs in the code behind almost anything. You click a tree, there is a chance you'll get logs. You kill a monster, there is a chance you'll get a specific drop. There even is a chance when attacking it, what damage you'll do, whether you'll hit or not, and both apply to the monster as well. Rng matters a lot in combat, but it doesn't stop there. It's everywhere.

Remember dicing? Jagex wouldn't remove the flowers because they wanted something more effective. Had they removed flowers without a games of chance rule, people would just move on to the next thing. In the end they'd punch guards and bet on odd or even hits. A large number of players participated in those activities, and also in staking, and I think they actually enjoyed doing it. Because let's be honest, who didn't know that chances were against them?

There are two ways to get anywhere in this game. One is being lucky and the other is working hard. Usually it's a combination of both. This has been the case since forever. Before xp started being devalued, it already had little value in my opinion because that one person who soloed two arma hilts in a trip could afford all 99 buyables and you had to work your ass bossing for weeks, or skilling for months. And that one person who had no school or work would always be ahead due to playing 18-20 hours a day, every single day.

But moving on to luck, the thing with it is that many people hate hard work. It's natural to be lazy, especially in a game. And the repetitive nature of this game makes it feel like work to some, so they want something different. They'll just pick any alternative to hard work, and that's not only luck but it's also breaking the rules in any way possible to get ahead of others.
Hi

04-Oct-2013 15:05:28

Lathow
Oct Member 2005

Lathow

Posts: 20,529 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The way I see it, with so many players addicted to gambling (including staking), with most disliking hard work, and with everyone constantly participating in luck based content and continuing to play a game that is based so much on luck, luck content is something that's needed. All of us have a love/hate relationship with it. I mean, who doesn't like having good luck? In the end of the day if that element is removed from the game, it will change massively and won't be as exciting. Not only that but it just can't be done without changing the game 100 times more than how much EoC did. Hi

04-Oct-2013 15:05:36 - Last edited on 04-Oct-2013 15:05:59 by Lathow

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You can't compare getting logs with expecting a nymph... Like come on.
I agree to luck based stuff to an extent. Potentially spending HOURS in one spot just to get an item that's based on luck doesn't seem fair to me.

04-Oct-2013 15:20:46

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Posts: 14,634 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Lathow
Yea, I definitely agree with what you've said. It would feel a lot more stale, for lack of a better word, and a lot faster if luck wasn't involved in the game. When you know exactly what is going to happen, and/or you can calculate when it will happen, its just like "yay" not "amrbklnleh@@$W@@W$@ WAFLWAGF"

&#8750 &#9810&#9810 &#10050 Amæ

Selective Completionist

04-Oct-2013 15:22:10

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579 Back to Top