Forums

HLF General Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579

Lifer
Jul Member 2008

Lifer

Posts: 12,424 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lathow said :
Done with interview and no it wasn't for a job it was for a phd. Which in all honesty I don't know if I should be doing but that's a story for another day.

Phd :| ... You're right to question it. PhD is on a lot more personal level with your advisers. Basically, your chances for teaching and tenure is based on your peers' opinions and the university may claim ownership to your brain as a property. Unless you go corporate, which you should be fine.

I'm getting masters in CS and MBA from Berkeley or Chicago/Notre Dame depending on where GE wants me to go, but never Phd. Fuck the drama involved lol. Just my perspective, but good luck man.

01-Mar-2016 21:37:03 - Last edited on 01-Mar-2016 21:38:42 by Lifer

Lathow
Oct Member 2005

Lathow

Posts: 20,529 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I haven't even gone so far in thinking about it. I like the idea but I just feel I'm very lazy and just not skilled/competent enough to make it through it successfully. I also absolutely hate the uni life stress and all that.

My parents are pushing me into it and while they are right in many ways they are wrong in many too. I feel the fact alone that I have doubts and am not 100% excited and willing to do this is an indication that I shouldn't..
Hi

01-Mar-2016 21:47:31

Lathow
Oct Member 2005

Lathow

Posts: 20,529 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's not that simple though, I need to do something for a living after the summer and first of all I have to stay out of the country to not do my unpaid military I mean slave service. Getting a job takes a lot of effort and I'm not particularly good with interviews and pr, so I would have a better chance in a university, plus I have very little experience and lack skills, and of course employees are expendable so if I were to head that way it would be a life of uncertainty and a matter of time. Hi

01-Mar-2016 22:15:58

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579 Back to Top