Forums

HLF General Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Trying to hatch a shiny Snorlax on Crystal.

Over 150 eggs now, nothin :'c
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

27-Sep-2015 10:16:33

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Lust said :
Think you might need a fair bit more than 150, or get lucky :D

Gen 2 breeding mechanics.

If you have a Shiny Ditto, the chances get reduced to 1/64 (compared to 1/8192 or 1/128 without using Ditto).

But, if I did my math correctly, I have a 1/68 chance because of how DVs (now known as IVs) work in Gen 2 with respect to gender.

Snorlax is one of those pokemon who has an 87.5% chance of being male upon encounter. Quirk behind Shininess in Gen 2 lies in the DVs.

For a pokemon to be shiny, it has to have 10 in each of its DVs bar Attack, which can be either:

2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15

The HP DV is determined by the other 4 DVs, which the only two valid corresponding DVs are 0 and 8.

Chances of this occurring in the wild? 1/8192.

Well, with breeding in Gen 2, DVs are passed a little differently than IVs in the subsequent generations.

In gen 2, the DVs of the baby are determined by the parent of the OPPOSITE GENDER, unless it is a Ditto, which then the baby inherits the statting of the Ditto.

The Defense DV is passed down always. Special DV (It wasn't until Gen 3 that the Special DV was split) is 50/50. 50% chance of staying the same, 50% chance of going +/- 8.

Attack and Speed DVs are determined completely at random while the HP DV is determined by the other 4 DVs.

Now, how is gender determined? By the Attack DV. if it is average/above average, the pokemon is male. If not, it is female. The average is determined by its gender ratio. With a female pokemon whose ratio is 7 male to 1 female, the maximum Attack DV is 1, therefore meaning it is impossible to have a female Shiny Snorlax in Gen 2.

So here I am, playing with those chances :P
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

27-Sep-2015 10:58:50 - Last edited on 27-Sep-2015 11:01:02 by Team Skull

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

^ fun fact: in gen 2, due to how Unown forms are also determined by DVs, the only 2 valid shiny Unown are I and V.

Also, with that, a shiny pokemon's Hidden Power type can only be Grass or Dragon with Base Powers of 50 or 70.

27-Sep-2015 11:00:24

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

It is. I can pretty much tell you anything you need/want to know revolving gen 2 mechanics :P "Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

27-Sep-2015 11:45:23

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579 Back to Top