Forums

the overton window

Quick find code: 259-260-119-66169420

J R Kerr
May Member 2007

J R Kerr

Posts: 7,222 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think jagex was a bit hasty on its subsitution for "fortune teller" ignoring a rich history of mercenary egyptian ex-navy turned pirates, but your events in the UK also allowed conflation of the shelta with romani, and romani are persecuted, so... if it saves one person then I guess it was worth it.

meanwhile... outside the overton window... the word "loot" has always been racist when used in english, and wait... y'all might not even know...

https://www.etymonline.com/word/loot

so yeah just like thugee => thug

and its kinda come up recently because so many diet racists blowing dogwhistles to bypass censorship we now have to share with the metrics from the united kingdom... and man is that annoying. Like... the word thats like "puff the magic dragon:" no one in america has ever used that word as a slur. Never. None of us can type it at this game though.

but yeah those "dont all lives matter" flamers using the "bliss ninny" trope are also adding comments like "I dont mind the peaceful protest, but I dont like the looters" and take note they never say "the looting" but the subsitution for the slur they want to use to impugn less moral browner skinned people.

runescape can't begin to get rid of "loot window" "loot tracker" et al. the goalposts move, and terms wind up being fair game...

so... really the point of my post is that I am -not- demanding anything. Systemic racism, xenophobia, nativism, and bigotry are all being reinforced by banksters worldwide to make every place a debt prison, deny us jubilee, and defraud us with usury. Jagex could have done a black lives matter thing, and I think for whatever reason you decided not to... its probably okay. There are other more important things, more subtle things, less jingoistic virtue signals, and more meaningful support for systemic audits... and I trust y'all are actually kinda having that conversation (albeit on skype and not at the cafeteria)

idk if you needed to hear it from me, but (continued)
I have quit rsof because moderator found comments about darklight bonus damage on demons "off topic" for wildy flash mobs full of demons

07-Jul-2020 06:08:05

J R Kerr
May Member 2007

J R Kerr

idk if you needed to hear it from me, but I propose that
INSTEAD
of wasted jingoism or supporting somebody else's charity... that maybe runescape could in light of certain disparities requiring more time for effective policy change... maybe the time is right to focus on the free part of the game for people who can't keep paying for it?

if I am voting for lots of p2p and high level updates... or voting for more f2p updates... and keep in mind I am gonna keep paying... I'd like to cast my vote for a great big push to make more of this game free to play.

really. in light of BLM, the stated mission to detoxify, etc. give poor people more game to play. thats my vote. thats a really good way forward.
I have quit rsof because moderator found comments about darklight bonus damage on demons "off topic" for wildy flash mobs full of demons

07-Jul-2020 06:11:36

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Posts: 10,673 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I am really surprised BLM became worldwide. Goes to show the US really has serious issues. Heck cannot even control a simple virus. Yes if we had real leadership, the virus would be gone from the US right now. Plus the US would be helping other countries with the problem. But our whole medical system deteriorated because of the profit seekers. Heck we have a stupid MBA for President. Which is proving what I knew all along. MBA's are total idiot bean counters that know nothing about the real world. He isn't even a good bean counter. So the idiot cannot handle a simple virus and causes a riot which is heard around the world.

08-Jul-2020 05:24:02 - Last edited on 08-Jul-2020 05:25:10 by CaptKoloth

Chee
Jul Member 2016

Chee

Posts: 1,946 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CaptKoloth said :
the idiot

https://www.nj.com/resizer/tn_e7IzXWiIYkEr5Pg3LFccx5lw=/1280x0/smart/advancelocal-adapter-image-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/image.nj.com/home/njo-media/width2048/img/ledgerupdates_impact/photo/2018/07/16/baby-trump-balloon-2jpg-bf746524ebfaa7bc.jpg
@Chee__RS
Maxed
Ironwoman
Completionist
Q
ue
st Mas
te
r

Max: 28 Jan 2018 | MQC: 9 Aug 2019 | Comp: 18 Oct 2019

08-Jul-2020 06:06:26

J R Kerr
May Member 2007

J R Kerr

well... I do hate demagogues, but thats not the point. we have new intersections, new things we can all agree about, and among those are the ideas contained under the umbrella of "defund the police" cause its actually a very right wing thing to protest "civil forfeitures" and allow police departments to fund themselves by taking stuff from suspects (not convicts).

also true is that we can all see up to the crisis of 08 all you had to cancel debt was move to a new country. so... thats what I mean by it being the best strategy for banksters... they leave traction for worldwide xenophobia and nativism.

I am "old three hundred" texas. My family made this place, and I really do not want a wall. I would prefer everyone in the state learn two languages from day one... a little bit like how canadians learn french and english. Anyways... every place on earth is gonna try to build walls and make every place a debt prison.

So I mean that Jagex itself is a charity. It doesnt need to do that give a dollar to mental health this or that and let us have mind helmet overrides. Just playing runescape, at all, means we support the idea that some kid in Kenya without much money can play with us, and leave out a lexicon we'd maybe have something to talk about once the light comes on and we can move freely about the cabin.

I mean... I may have picked an idea so nontroversial no one disagrees, but... making more of runescape free? Did we all already agree with that? Is it a percent of the game that grows? Like if the game offers 1,000 hrs to X, then is the free game supposed to be 200 hrs then you better join, or is it a percent like... its always supposed to be 20% of the available game, so that every p2p update some of the oldest p2p things become f2p? I don't know. I mean I hope so, but... thats clearly not making more money right away, so it will seem to be lowest priority forever unless payin members like us here in HLF call for it? vote for it? whatever it is we're doing.

08-Jul-2020 16:41:55

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Posts: 10,673 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Bobhaz said :
the virus isnt that simple lol

It is basically a virus from 2003 that resurfaced. They actually are close to having a vaccine. But news media says otherwise. I believe that by January there will be a working vaccine. It looks promising. I am involved with the research. Thing is news media and politics like to dramatize. Plus people cannot do what needs to be done to prevent the spread. Covid-19 is related to measles. Which made a comeback.

07-Aug-2020 21:43:38

Quick find code: 259-260-119-66169420 Back to Top