Forums

"Meet the communities"

Quick find code: 237-238-979-66263597

Torwulf
Nov Member 2023

Torwulf

Posts: 1,205 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Scrolling by the new post on the website about the communities and not one mention of roleplay. I don't care if the actual community for it is small, might help grow some if the big wizards of Jagex throw some love your way.

There has been some genuine good work here and no shout-out? I'd be pissed.

02-Oct-2022 16:34:53

Quael
Jan Member 2018

Quael

Posts: 3,628 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm going to share my opinion on that, as someone who's been in the community for over 9 years, I am not pissed at all. The role-play community isn't big, nor is it something that has done anything to the game, aside from (what I've witnessed a lot) push people out of it in the past. We're not that big, nor do we have our own discord where we can actually co-exists and keep it alive long enough. Most people in here are either too petty to be adults or too toxic. I can't speak as if I am 100% certain, as I have not seen those that of people active as before (recently I did and it was petty), but over all, I don't see why we deserved to be on the list.

Am I pissed about it? No, because if we were mentioned, a lot of people would be pissed because we aren't as active as the other communities that they mentioned and would mock Jagex for including us, (some of our own would mock them as well for including such a "dead" community)

I am more surprised they did not mention the PVM community, that is bigger and have their own discord. (Maybe they are declining in number, I wouldn't know.) But as I am saying, this isn't something to be worked up over for.
Duke of Fort Forinthry
Interested in role-play? check out: The Quest Collective

02-Oct-2022 20:21:19

Eddy Razor
Feb Member 2008

Eddy Razor

Posts: 901 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think it needs a workover, role playing and all communities should be included. Do people still hold house parties?
Most important: I find it hard to find old law postings, videos, logs etc. and normally stumble upon them by pot luck. I would like to see this list improved and permanently accessible from the front page.

03-Oct-2022 10:39:49

RiDaku
Oct Member 2012

RiDaku

Posts: 6,003 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Quael said :
The role-play community isn't big, nor is it something that has done anything to the game, aside from (what I've witnessed a lot) push people out of it in the past.

I'm in complete and total disagreement. Well, first, I agree with your points, but that is exactly why we need a shoutout from Jagex. We need support, recognition, publicity. For over ten years now, we have been left to fight for ourselves. We have no mechanics or systems that benefit us except for a token login notification and a "Roleplaying In Character" section for our examine text. We have nothing, we have had nothing, and by the looks of it we will continue to have nothing; No moderators, no additions, no attention, and without these things we cannot impact the game at all.

But, you are wrong on one thing... It has had impact on lore. Our writers have had some of the coolest impacts. Look at Ptolemos' journal in the Menaphos Library, look at the expansions on Mahjarrat, look at the gradual evolution of Chthonian demons. Either we impacted it, or it was so transparently written that we were able to estimate it before it ever became part of the game.

I'm upset we didn't get a shoutout in the community roundup. I'm upset that we never will.
The Sicarius |
They think they are "the many", and I "the few". They think this gives them the right to walk over me.

Want to Role-Play? Click Here!

04-Oct-2022 03:55:45

Dansplainer
Sep Member 2007

Dansplainer

Posts: 3,001 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It would have been nice for them to have given the RP community some sort of shout-out, but I imagine it comes down to a few points:

The RP community isn't quite as established, with long-standing FCs in which people go to get involved in the activity, we do not have a collective discord (which seems to be what all of the RS communities mentioned on the post have in common), and while I'm sure there are pockets of various groups of us, there isn't really any one group or person or community that could or should represent RSRP as a whole. The only medium which we all share is this forum.

With that being said, it would be really, really neat of them to make a part two of "Meet the Communities" in which they spotlight the communities that mostly congregate on their Forums.
Hi, I'm Dan.

04-Oct-2022 06:58:24 - Last edited on 04-Oct-2022 06:58:52 by Dansplainer

Torwulf
Nov Member 2023

Torwulf

Posts: 1,205 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey everyone, thanks for responding. It's an interesting conversation.

I do understand it from the view point that the community is small and lacks any formal "meeting of minds" on a third party application. (Although, what happened to the RSRPWiki?)

But I am too god damn stubborn about this game's potential I guess or my obsession is unhealthy? Ah, whatever.

I acknowledge the history and the loyalty. I remember role-playing before Runescape 2 released and quite a few from that time have stuck around to this day or have left only in very recent years. We used to have RP events hosted by a JMod, a thread dedicated right here on this forum. This forum that we have remained dedicated to this entire time, likely that is due to the fact that it has been the only real way to communicate across to the entire community.

But I argue that if people kept trying, a resourceful discord could have been formed and all communication would have been directed there, thus killing this forum. So I would have liked to have seen Jagex link people right here, link them to the guides & the introductions!

There are people interested in role-play out there. I just recently saw someone post about a role-playing group they had on the german servers, they were asking about RP since they moved to US servers and I directed them to this forum. They may even be seeing this right now! HELLO GERMAN RPER FROM REDDIT! o/

I have seen the threads, I have seen the people walking about with examine statuses, the reddit posts. I personally take the time to direct them to resources that can help get them into roleplay here but I would agree that we are not obligated to do that, taking on new people can actually be a hassle but... it sure would be nice if the developers of this game, that we subscribe to, would throw some love this way. Then the work is done for you guys, people are directed here.

07-Oct-2022 01:25:54

CrocoNuts
Jul Member 2010

CrocoNuts

Posts: 2,824 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I am not upset about it at all and think they made a justifiable call to not cater to roleplayers as much as roleplayers would want to for them. Gameplay of the game itself aside, I would want to zoom in on the roleplaying playerbase. Jagex completely botched it in my oppinion on their attempts to appeal to roleplayers in regards of support and making it enticing to spend money and time into the game. If that was their plan?

A videogame developer makes a choice to appeal to a roleplayer as a customer by adding things like chatbox tools, cosmetics, customisation options for a player house, clan/guild areas people can work on and so much more that would mean the world from a roleplayer perspective in terms of their creative options being enabled by their game of choice. I can't imagine what it would tale to turn things past and present roleplayers dream about takes for Jmods to make into a reality. Honestly a 100% fair call for not wanting company involvement, monotisation attemps or publicity put on roleplayers using RuneScape as their platform, in the past, present but hopefully not the future!

Should roleplayers and the actual makers of the game ever come into some form of contact with one another I hope they really focus on some of the strong selling points RuneScape has as a game and far less about 'creating a community'. Runescape has one of the best avatar systems for roleplayers, it uses an overworld with squares much akin to currently popular tabletop boardgames not to mention how unbelievably lenient they are in regards of use of their IP for our stories.

Those new benches you can sit on are pretty cool though and the Gamejam projects like the cosmetics tweaks and polished up areas and the casual clothes look incredibly neat from a roleplayer perspective, hopefully they keep up this trend. Mad respect for Jmods who dedicate personal time on those little things. Your little projects can be very meaningfull to a little slice of the RuneScape playerbase.
Quickly learn how to Roleplay on RuneScape!

I am bad and that's good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me.

09-Oct-2022 18:29:16

PL Kawaler S

PL Kawaler S

Posts: 95 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mayhaps that post about having specific polls in the future in different areas of the Players interest might get a Role-Playing section.
I am the Brown Spotted Pit Zmija.
Name's Sebastian
- I am a 7 of Spades Kawaler of Poland!
Whilst playing OSRS I learned to play without magic(k) accumulation, so quit at 99 Thieving. Restituting getting 99 Ranged on RS3 now.

24-Oct-2022 07:08:26

Teridax
Aug Member 2023

Teridax

Posts: 3,498 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No, world 42 does NOT get any recognition from Jagex. I remember years and years ago w42 was assigned it’s very own JMOD with promises of adding good rp additions to the game, well the community went and BLEW IT. Jagex saw how the members of w42 treat other players so horribly. They didn’t want to continue to feed the harsh cycle of abuse that stemmed from popular RPers.

I remember new players would come to 42, try to RP, but then get bullied by the community and told they can’t RP, get blacklisted, and so on. W42 was full of bullies, I’m not sure what it’s like now considering my experiences in w42 contributed to me quitting RS3.

So no you all don’t deserve squat, you don’t even deserve your own section in the forums anymore with how DEAD roleplay is. And besides, no one even RP’s in game anymore they do it over discord only, and anyone claiming otherwise is a liar.

27-Dec-2022 15:59:43

Quick find code: 237-238-979-66263597 Back to Top