Forums

Two w42 Communities? Thread is locked

Quick find code: 237-238-955-66108557

ebolahuakbar

ebolahuakbar

Posts: 29 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Is the w42 community two communities, or in the process of becoming two communities?

Groups of players will contest each other as the dominant POK of an area... not through IC warfare, but through refusing to acknowledge the other, whether for personal reasons or claims of breaking rules of roleplay that are expected to be followed by both parties.

"42 Community Discord" servers rise, and fall as one group either refuses to join, or lose patience with a server atmosphere they feel favors their opposition at their expense. Servers such as the rsrp wiki exist by threatening disciplinary action for bringing in the feud.

Arguments ensue over who should have the Roleplay Help & Guide thread, an iconic thread for teaching new players the ropes. Are requests for a new owner an effort to get someone less involved in community drama? Perhaps an effort by someone else in the argument to gain power? Players acting out personal vendettas?

I believe it can be agreed that the total population is shrinking.

So at least two groups, with differing channels of communication, interpretations of how to follow community rules, different social spaces, the same "we aren't going to reconcile our differences" dance every few months...

...it seems as though 42 is in the process of becoming two communities.
I support abortions starting at the 4th trimester and beyond.

02-Jul-2019 04:03:39

Oxtus

Oxtus

Posts: 1,454 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Positive, well-meaning efforts have been taken in the past to get the help sticky removed, yet to no avail. It mostly came down to an alleged lack of evidence that was damning.

Essentially, everyone has been split for some years now. Hell, this time last year it was basically 3 W42 communities when Sicarius was a big player for a bit and they weren't being acknowledged by 2 major canons - and they'll be back, I'm sure ( I doubt there will be another split because of that, though).

This isn't some new development. While RSRP is fragmented, as ever, people still care, as ever. Let's just focus on the public RP each of us acknowledge, and try to enrich that.

For the record, there really is only one RP universe which acts legimitately as "public", currently.
I like beer.

02-Jul-2019 04:16:49 - Last edited on 02-Jul-2019 06:55:58 by Oxtus

RiDaku
Oct Member 2012

RiDaku

Posts: 6,003 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Let's be real. There are a lot more than two communities because everything is splintered off, there are wallflower communities, there are isolationists and lone-wolves. And, honestly, the stuff you see here on this forum is just another one of them. We're the only people you'll see using these forums exactly because of the fire that keeps getting more gasoline. Hell, something as simple as "What is Public roleplay?" has been politicized and weaponized. But uh, no. Not two w42 communities overall.

Two w42 communities that actively use the forums.
The Sicarius |
They think they are "the many", and I "the few". They think this gives them the right to walk over me.

Want to Role-Play? Click Here!

02-Jul-2019 05:58:10

CrocoNuts
Jul Member 2010

CrocoNuts

Posts: 2,824 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Two people above me

So if you acknowledge there’s not one single W42 RP community, shouldn’t your in-game examine and/or your forum signature be changed to reflect upon that?

As opposed to using the word
the
, which comes off as a rather over-coloured statement to begin with, maybe the word should be
a
instead.
The
roleplay community seemingly is no more and the line seems too assertive and possessive to those interested in acknowledging or joining more than just one community.

Your line would be true if you said '
a
roleplay community' instead of '
the
roleplay community'.
Quickly learn how to Roleplay on RuneScape!

I am bad and that's good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me.

02-Jul-2019 10:24:21

Ghazgkull

Ghazgkull

Posts: 9,600 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CrocoNuts said :
@Two people above me

So if you acknowledge there’s not one single W42 RP community, shouldn’t your in-game examine and/or your forum signature be changed to reflect upon that?

the
, which comes off as a rather over-coloured statement to begin with, maybe the word should be
a
instead.
The
roleplay community seemingly is no more and the line seems too assertive and possessive to those interested in acknowledging or joining more than just one community.

a
the
roleplay community'.

well said.
WAAAGH!!!

02-Jul-2019 10:53:34

Quael
Jan Member 2018

Quael

Posts: 3,628 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CrocoNuts said :
@Two people above me

the
a
instead.
The

a
the
roleplay community'.

Well said!

Maybe for one of us, but I said two separate canon, see that statement as you will, but our community is still one whole player base of role-players that we cannot kick or force out. Two separate canon doesn't mean two separate community (at least, for me it doesn't). It just means that some within the community have decided that they don't agree with the the type of canon they see and went into making their own group. Is the community torn apart? Yes, because certain people are toxic and power abusive. Does that mean there is two separate community now? No, we are still one big whole community sadly, we share the forum, and the world with the people we tend to dislike. We are still role-players of one community that has two separate canon. Two separate fan-fiction. Two separate lore.

So my line is true even with my examine, because it's just the canon that is separate, not the community. But like I said see it as you will, it's just how I think.
Duke of Fort Forinthry
Interested in role-play? check out: The Quest Collective

02-Jul-2019 16:24:08

Vekon

Vekon

Posts: 2,037 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
ebolahuakbar said :
Is the w42 community two communities, or in the process of becoming two communities?

There are a number of communities that exist on 42. On the forums publically, you have about two or three.

ebolahuakbar said :
Groups of players will contest each other as the dominant POK of an area... not through IC warfare, but through refusing to acknowledge the other, whether for personal reasons or claims of breaking rules of roleplay that are expected to be followed by both parties.

The amount of people practicing this type of rule-breaking is actually quite small. If you isolate the numbers, it really boils down to a hand full of people blacklisting/disacknowledging/powerplaying; the people that engage in role-play with those people can't always be blamed for the behavior of their leaders. Friend circles tend to stick together. It's sad, either way.

ebolahuakbar said :
"42 Community Discord" servers rise, and fall as one group either refuses to join, or lose patience with a server atmosphere they feel favors their opposition at their expense. Servers such as the rsrp wiki exist by threatening disciplinary action for bringing in the feud.

Can't blame the RSRP Wiki Discord for not wanting the drama in there. But two of the three admins are pretty unknowing/uncaring of what goes on with our community still. The third one falls into the hand full of people mentioned above.

A community Discord server won't make it further than the others have. In the sense that only one of several communities are likely to join; even though they seem to make up most of the bulk of 42's RP population publically, there are plenty of lowkey groups that won't be interested.

cont.
KANDAR VICTA

Axel Vekon, the Eternal Emperor, the Archmage, the Lichslayer, of the Holy Kandarin Empire.

#
HouseVekon

02-Jul-2019 19:16:58

Vekon

Vekon

Posts: 2,037 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
ebolahuakbar said :
Arguments ensue over who should have the Roleplay Help & Guide thread, an iconic thread for teaching new players the ropes. Are requests for a new owner an effort to get someone less involved in community drama? Perhaps an effort by someone else in the argument to gain power? Players acting out personal vendettas?

There's a lot of spite. A lot of it. If you go and look in the past couple of pages of the longer sticky, you'll see just how bad it is.

ebolahuakbar said :
I believe it can be agreed that the total population is shrinking.

Yep. But the community has been pretty active lately! Well, at least the one I can speak for.

ebolahuakbar said :
So at least two groups, with differing channels of communication, interpretations of how to follow community rules, different social spaces, the same "we aren't going to reconcile our differences" dance every few months...

Yep. People preach forgiveness and letting bygones be, but when it gets down to it a lot of us cannot let go of our personal beef, spite, and grudges to move forward for the health of 42. It's a sad reality, but one that has to be dealt with unfortunately. It gets worse that whenever a new RPer pops up, they're typically fed bad rumors about years-old behavior of certain players just to further invoke the "my side is the better side" mentality. People are genuinely manipulative on 42.

ebolahuakbar said :
...it seems as though 42 is in the process of becoming two communities.

It's beyond that point.

All in all, I actually think it could be worse. Part of the issue seems to be slowly fading into the background, and I can say confidently, on some level, things are improving.
KANDAR VICTA

Axel Vekon, the Eternal Emperor, the Archmage, the Lichslayer, of the Holy Kandarin Empire.

#
HouseVekon

02-Jul-2019 19:24:13

Quick find code: 237-238-955-66108557 Back to Top