Forums

Chicken or Egg: Not an RP Thread is locked

Quick find code: 237-238-505-66180918

Twillow
Aug
fmod Member

Twillow

Forum Moderator Posts: 49,241 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello everyone

So, off and on, I see inquiries about OSRS RP and I wondered:

Is there an unofficial OSRS RP world? Would OSRS RP grow if there were such a world and/or even an official world?

It seems like not a lot of people RP in both versions? Is that accurate?

What might facilitate OSRS RP growth?

Also, I know that RS3 RP growth is stagnant/declining/declined, so I don't want to ignore that population.

I made the thread to just explore and gauge what's going on and people's thoughts on how the situations could be improved.

Please be constructive - don't target anyone - and... all that jazz. Thanks!
like a chica cherry cola

@Twillow_RS|| #teamblue|| #Purple4life

18-Sep-2020 18:07:58 - Last edited on 18-Sep-2020 18:08:43 by Twillow

Cain Grimm

Cain Grimm

Posts: 172 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As far as OSRS RP goes, I know there are people with dedication to get it moving and grow the community. As far as any and all roleplay is concerned, I think alot of people want to start but don't quite know how or where?

There is a RS3 roleplay world for example, but it's hard to tell who is actively looking for roleplay and such. FFXIV gets around that by allowing a visible active role-playing tag. Runescape has that, but it's hidden in the examine feature. I change mine when in character as often as I remember too. World interactions and size have also been a small complaint I've seen. Places are simply to close together to feel imessered in the setting. An example might be the Jolly Boar inn north of varrock. Hard to feel 100% in character when there's a crazy glowing cosmetic display skilling away near by. That's likely hard to remedy though.

Primarily I think in game tools to organize roleplay might make it more easier to facilitate for the community. Alot of communication happens put of game in Discord servers afterall. The way these tools might work? That's likely beyond me.

Perhaps a group finder that can be used to publicly advertise events? An expansion of the character examination information system so we can type out larger profiles? Just some ideas. I'm very happy to see this thread. I hope something really good comes out of the discussion here.

18-Sep-2020 18:31:20

RiDaku
Oct Member 2012

RiDaku

Posts: 6,003 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Twillow said :
Hello everyone

So, off and on, I see inquiries about OSRS RP and I wondered:

Is there an unofficial OSRS RP world? Would OSRS RP grow if there were such a world and/or even an official world?

To my understanding, there's an official osrs rp world- World 342. So the answer is probably not to your second question, since there already is one, and it doesn't look like it's organized enough.

Twillow said :
It seems like not a lot of people RP in both versions? Is that accurate?

Very much so, for reasons that've been very evident on the forums for years.

Twillow said :
What might facilitate OSRS RP growth?

OSRS players, unlike RS3 players, are used to a very high amount of both representation and direct interaction with jagex moderators in-game. Some way to actually enable RP in OSRS would likely cause a spurt. Additionally, an "(OSRS) Looking for RP" megathread, as sometimes this forum will get "OSRS RP???" threads made literally on top of one another and then 4 year old threads bumped to the front by someone who's horribly lost and can't read timestamps. Finally, making sure that every osrs rp thread has OSRS branded on it for visual clarity would be really useful.

Twillow said :
Also, I know that RS3 RP growth is stagnant/declining/declined, so I don't want to ignore that population.

You may as well, honestly. It hurts to say, but general consensus across w42 POK roleplayers is that the scene is just decrepit. Things , however you want to interpret that, got to be too big and too much for anybody to want to stick around for. Without Jagex direction and representation, it'll stay that way. Not really much any of us regular players or even player/forum moderators can do about that. And with the population being what it is.. that's a lot of effort to ask for such an immediately minimal return.
The Sicarius |
They think they are "the many", and I "the few". They think this gives them the right to walk over me.

Want to Role-Play? Click Here!

18-Sep-2020 18:54:31

Aerisop Aren
Feb Member 2023

Aerisop Aren

Posts: 34 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Allowing people to engage one another in a relatively young and upcoming community is the best way to encourage activity.

42 was small to begin with compared to other rp communities, and it dwindling is the natural conclusion of it's members growing older, no longer playing, or splitting as osrs was released.

Compared to 42, osrs is very young, and it's rp community has yet to even blossom. So the best thing to do right now is roleplay in itself, because you can't have roleplay in a community that has yet to be established.

Roleplay, and there will be a roleplay community.
•±• Strength through chaos! •±•

18-Sep-2020 20:51:59

Wizard Ovi
Jan Member 2016

Wizard Ovi

Posts: 672 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Unlike the state of runescape 3's 42, there is alot of people hanging around searching for roleplay on oldschool runescapes 342 but don't want to be the first to dip their toes into it. From my understanding alot of stigma, forumwise, comes from the fact that runescape 3 and old school runescape have to share a forum.

Currently, it has been a mission of mine over the past three weeks to bring together those that wish to roleplay in oldschool runescape on 342 and it has lead to extraordinary success. People come and watch, they even join in unlike the trolls on 42 that will sit there with their cannons out being annoying. The strategy is just to roleplay where people can see you.

In my expert opinion, oldschool runescapes community is finally coming together.
"You never know what kind of man you'll be until the end."

-Howl Aren

18-Sep-2020 20:58:00 - Last edited on 18-Sep-2020 21:00:11 by Wizard Ovi

Dansplainer
Sep Member 2007

Dansplainer

Posts: 3,001 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi there!

This is a somewhat complicated issue, in that it doesn't really have universally applicable solutions, but there are so many different factors at play in culmination to the state of things at present in RS3 RP, but I would say your assessment is absolutely correct. There is already an official role-playing world (World 342) on OSRS, which doesn't necessarily seem to encourage the development of a community, on its own . I actually do think OSRS RP has a lot of potential for RP growth for various reasons such as populations, game world size and structure, immersion, and content.

As for what you could do as a Forum Mod, I would suggest somehow including the OSRS RP community in our assortment of sticky threads at the top of page one of the forum. This could mean we would add one more to the list of sticky threads that would help prospective new roleplayers into the OSRS community in particular, or simply asking the two holders of the in-game roleplaying threads to add/improve OSRS content onto theirs. The OSRS game world is immense, and with the limitations that it has as opposed to RS3, it can be difficult to really establish communications. While it should not be an advertisement of certain roleplaying groups within the community, I do think it would help to provide some medium for helping prospective new roleplayers participate in OSRS RP, and move towards building a community.

--
Hi, I'm Dan.

18-Sep-2020 21:33:17

Dansplainer
Sep Member 2007

Dansplainer

Now, RS3 roleplay has been declining over the last five years to the point it is at now. The first, though certainly not most important, cause of our decline is, over the years, soured relations within the community between members which has, as is probably evident, driven many, many people away, including new and prospective roleplayers. However, let me be clear that I do not really believe that this is the most primary cause of our decline and stagnation. RS3 RP has always been small, so much that most people after 2011 knew each other by their first names; of course, we had many, many new roleplayers join the community over the years, (and we still do experience a trickle every now and then) however the rate at which this occurred was dwarfed in comparison to the rate of the decline of this community. I do not think there is any way could resolve this issue now, or even when it was much more prevalent, but it it is relevant to point out that as a community so small to begin with, these problems were inevitable. People have grown up, gotten jobs or out of school, and left onto better things and we do not grow.

The population of the RSRP community is tied in intrinsically with the population of the game as a whole. As RS3 itself declines, so does RS3 RP. I know the issues I am about to state are well outside your range in your role as an F-mod, but they are the most relevant to our present situation. The problem with having your stories dependent in the development of a larger universe is that your stories are usually only as relevant as the progression of the story of the larger universe. The rate at which RuneScape's story progresses in the last couple years has sadly declined, so there is less and less material (lore) to build things with. That's not to say I believe the developers are at fault, as I absolutely do believe that they are putting in as much as they can. The game has simply lost its flavor.

--
Hi, I'm Dan.

18-Sep-2020 21:33:24 - Last edited on 18-Sep-2020 21:57:33 by Dansplainer

Dansplainer
Sep Member 2007

Dansplainer

-- (adding onto my previous post above)

Interestingly, this is not an issue with OSRS roleplay, as the story of the world itself progresses uniquely, with quests (and continents) that do not even exist, or aren't put into the RS3 game world as of yet. Roleplay is driven by the lore, and if you have the same people doing the same things over and over again, the story is no longer interesting and roleplayers no longer feel motivated to do it anymore. This is not an easy fix for RS3, and it may never really be repaired at all.
Hi, I'm Dan.

18-Sep-2020 22:08:59

Quick find code: 237-238-505-66180918 Back to Top