Forums

You suck at fight writing

Quick find code: 237-238-48-65578177

Garth Vader
Nov Member 2014

Garth Vader

Posts: 2,982 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Harrow Hawth said :
Ain't like the good ol' days, Zoe. Lot of people in this community think they're leet edge masters. Glad to see you're making another guide, though. Christ knows, some need it.

People in the ol days thought they were leet edge masters as well, back flipping in full plate armour and swinging around giant 2h swords like they were nothing just like a final fantasy character. XD
"There is no Death, There is the Force..and I am its Master"

24-Feb-2015 08:21:18

jagkilledme

jagkilledme

Posts: 534 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Harrow Hawth said :
Ain't like the good ol' days, Zoe. Lot of people in this community think they're leet edge masters. Glad to see you're making another guide, though. Christ knows, some need it.

people have always been awful and some people probably always will be but its diminished a lot in popularity
I am going to break your arm so that the bone juts out and then I will stab you to death with your own insides. I will win this chess game, is what I am saying.

24-Feb-2015 13:26:58

Lord Pyro I
Nov Member 2018

Lord Pyro I

Posts: 4,255 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You never fail to impress Lorelei.

That said I'd like your opinion on a couple of issues raised during a recent training session I had. I mention them because I believe them to be becoming common ideas on W42.

The first was that the concept of momentum seemed to be taken too far in a recent spar. I accept what you said about dodging vs blocking completely but recently even moving (a simple heel step move forward) it was suggested I couldn't control my momentum.

I was also told that it was "impossible" to get behind someone in a fight. Any thoughts?
"The greatest endeavors are achieved because of their selfless intent"
#WarIsComing

24-Feb-2015 14:18:55

Doc Doctor

Doc Doctor

Posts: 3,925 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
jagkilledme said :

Movement, movement, movement.

This is the best part. Any combat guide worth its beans should mention movement, and this one does. Simply remembering the fact that your character is capable of moving around in a fight is one of the most important aspects of CBRP.
And Imo, the most important part of movement, and by extension fighting, is approach.

A good approach sets up literally everything .
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

24-Feb-2015 17:36:57

The contents of this message have been hidden.

24-Feb-2015 19:02:13

jagkilledme

jagkilledme

Lord Pyro I said :
You never fail to impress Lorelei.

For better or for worse, it would seem, but that's just a part of the job.

Lord Pyro I said :

The first was that the concept of momentum seemed to be taken too far in a recent spar. I accept what you said about dodging vs blocking completely but recently even moving (a simple heel step move forward) it was suggested I couldn't control my momentum.

I understand where this might be coming from and it's a bit complicated to go into, but I'll explain it as best I can. Since I don't have context or the logs of this spar in question, I'll kind of wing it and address what I think is important and you're more than free to ask more questions after that.

Now, when I think of someone that can't control their momentum, I think of something big. I think of someone charging, or I think of someone swinging a two-handed weapon or a mace, both of which are rather heavy when we're talking weapons. I imagine someone being unbalanced more than anything else.

When you're swinging a weapon or throwing a punch or even a kick, you've got force. I say force instead of strength and I mean energy and speed. I mean the weight of blows and how they're going at you. Gina Carano, which is one of the big female MMA starts, in three seconds, can slam someone with a massive 4'800 pounds of force (wow!). I urge you to look at the full sequence under “Gina Carano chokes out TV host” on youtube. They wire her up and they catalog her hardest hits but here I'm rambling – I may or may not have a crush on her.
I am going to break your arm so that the bone juts out and then I will stab you to death with your own insides. I will win this chess game, is what I am saying.

24-Feb-2015 19:12:57

jagkilledme

jagkilledme

Gravity works for you, and it works against you. There's a science behind combat (and a channel called sports science) that relies very heavily on physics. By being strafe + deflected, your force is being redirected outward, away from someone. If you're charging someone and they move away and you don't connect at all, you'll eventually, so to speak, burn out your gathered force and slow down.

If you're toting around a horseman's pick (it looks like a really big pickaxe) or another heavy weapon like a war hammer, or a morning star, you have a disadvantage because your weapon's 'head', is heavier than the rest. Imagine a person with a really big head – they'll flop over, which isn't to say that those aren't very effective weapons. Armor isn't as effective against blunt damage.

You've probably split wood before, or watched someone split wood either in real life or in a movie. The principle for maces is similar, you gather a lot of force and bring it down – it “tips* into the bit of the axe and cool things happen. What if the log you were about to split suddenly disappeared? You would continue the movement, because that's where you're going, that's where all of the weight and force is gathered, for better or for worse. Consider it like someone pulling your hair – the rest of your body will follow.

How destabilized you'll be depends on how you were trying to strike, what your posture was like and what kind of weapon you're wielding and its weight.

24-Feb-2015 19:13:13

jagkilledme

jagkilledme

Lord Pyro I said :
I was also told that it was "impossible" to get behind someone in a fight. Any thoughts?

I can see what they might mean by because a lot of the times when someone in RP tries to get behind you in a fight, they're assuming incorrectly assuming that the person they're creeping up on just...standing there. There's no reasonable reason why they would want to do so. While there are a lot of flipping techniques, it's incredibly risky to just show someone your back like that openly. If someone has managed to get behind you, it's probably because you're on the ground for whatever reason, usually by device.

When I'm sparring, there's only really one place I look to anticipate something; the chest, near the collar-bone. This is because it gives me a clear view of someone's shoulders. If they're going to strike me, I know what hand they're going to do it with and I'll likely notice if they're trying to feign. You also can't rotate the hips without shifting the rest of you, which is where most of your strength comes from when you swing on someone. If I can't see them, well, I've already lost.

It's never favorable to let someone be at your back, even though there are techniques to save yourself should it happen, it's never good to be in such a position in the first place. When you enter a serious dojo or training center with the intention of learning self-defense, they always tell you one thing, and it's always the same: the best way to avoid getting hurt is to not fight in the first place, that a fight is never the better option.

Sorry that was so long winded LOLOLOLOL. Hope I answered your questions.

24-Feb-2015 19:13:23 - Last edited on 24-Feb-2015 19:19:26 by jagkilledme

Quick find code: 237-238-48-65578177 Back to Top