Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Lady Deluxe

Lady Deluxe

Posts: 44,440 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wilf said :
Nope but the rats are :P

Atmo it is stored in the cellar which is a pain having to walk all through the house every time they need filling. Not to mention a mouse had been helping itself to the peanuts. It had stockpiled up loads in an old cushion which was only discovered when looking for Christmas tree lights.

Most went for around £50 which at the time I thought was a bit much, I'll have to look at a more agricultural auction as this one was more plant and machinery orientated.

What about plastic containers - this will keep the rodents out, plus keep it fresh. You can get them from cheap to the more expensive variety. From very large to small.

All the best in finding a solution :)

25-Jan-2015 08:38:31

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My uncle used to be a welder, but we do have our own welder so will look to trying myself before ringing for assistance. We've an old diesel tank that hasn't been used for many years (and has holes in it) that I've been eyeing up to make it.

As for plastic given enough time I'm sure rats would nibble through even if unlikely.

25-Jan-2015 12:13:42

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I found welding fun when I had a go - didn't run the straightest weld in the world, but it didn't look too bad. I wasn't that popular when it was discovered I had been using the welding rods to stir paint with though :D
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

25-Jan-2015 22:09:07

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Posts: 21,010 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Bernadette said :
I found welding fun when I had a go - didn't run the straightest weld in the world, but it didn't look too bad. I wasn't that popular when it was discovered I had been using the welding rods to stir paint with though :D
*facepalm*

Ya, welding rods aren't cheap, so I can see why your popularity dropped. ^_^
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDelivery Now Available In Canada

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

25-Jan-2015 23:20:31

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Rats will get through plastic - we used to store our birdseed in some pretty heavy-duty plastic tubs in the shed. Took them a few weeks to chew their way in.

We use an old metal dustbin now with a brick on the lid.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

26-Jan-2015 10:52:14

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Posts: 21,010 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I find mig the most fun. ^_^

If the issue is rats eating through the containers, then apply a bit of hotsauce on the outside of the containers, and they will tend to avoid it after the first few nibbles. A bit of cayenne pepper will also do the trick (just spray the outside of the container with some water so the pepper sticks).
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDelivery Now Available In Canada