Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
:D

I have a felling axe, splitting axe, splitting maul, variety of billhooks, and a number of small axes for kindling.

I'm a bit obsessed with keeping them sharp (apart from the maul/splitting axe) very therapeutic and also satisfying. Only trouble is I test them with my hands so end up with lines over my fingers. Nothing serious, but you know what I mean? you can tell if it is sharp without slicing a pound of flesh off.

When you say gizmo are you meaning them poles that you pound on top of the log?

I enjoy this sort of stuff, and I'd like to buy some other tools but they wouldn't get much use: pulp hooks, lifting tongs, slashers and more axes!

Layed one of the hedges beginning of the year good fun. A few more years and the hedge we planted a few years back will be ready for doing, which reminds me gotta trim it soon.

fleabay time again!

05-Oct-2014 12:22:48 - Last edited on 05-Oct-2014 12:30:27 by Wilf

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Idk what sort of gizmo. It's a metal thing :|

He gets very animated when his new mail order DIY and tool catalogues arrive and soon after mysterious (and usually heavy) parcels start arriving. This object was one of his latest toys.

His sheds are crammed with things which look like medieval implements of torture and which I have no desire to learn the names or purposes of.

It keeps him from making a bored nuisance of himself indoors when I'm watching the Soaps ......

05-Oct-2014 17:20:24

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Sounds great :D You can never have enough tools, and my dad has collected a hell of a lot of em. Sadly he doesn't renew things like normal people...

Neither genius nor fools can work with out tools.

05-Oct-2014 19:06:39

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Hmmmm. I'm sure he never even uses half of them. Well, not sure, because I stay totally out of the way when he's 'doing something important' so potentially he could be building an army of psychopathic androids, armed with razor sharp hedge trimmers and welding torches.... or he could just be standing admiring his possessions whilst banging two pot lids together to pretend he's doing something.

I can relate to that. I sometimes look at the clothes in my wardrobe and think "I'll never have a use for that but I enjoy looking at it".

05-Oct-2014 19:14:29

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Our lawn mower for instance... it is nearly as old as me, you have to bridge the terminals with a screwdriver to start it, the deck isn't even, the steering is slack as owt, it is falling to bit,s it doesn't circulate coolant properly, the alternator is pretty much dead.. He bought one off **** exactly the same that was for parts so he could keep repairing bits and bats. The amount of hours spent fiddling with it is stupid.

In fact I've got to remove the steering from the spare one tomorrow along with other bits and then take the chassis to the scrapyard.

We've a ferguson ted 20 tractor that you can't start without jumping it and even then it has no brakes...

A generator that doesn't work, a compressor that works, but on 3 phase...

3 water pumps that don't work, and were bought knowingly unworking.

Up until last year we had a whacker plate that didn't work, spent hours and hours messing with the damned thing, had my buy a carborettor for it (cost £70) still didn't work. Bought an entire new engine £120 works perfectly, took an hour to pick it up and an hour or so to fit it...

A roller that you need four arms to start

a diesel cement mixer that is in bits and is going to be repaired despite us having another working one that we use...

He can afford to buy new, but cheaps out and buys junk from auctions or bodges stuff together it is insane. he bought a bucket for the digger (auction) got home fits on but will only open so far before it catches the back making it useless.

Bought a conveyor belt (for taking stuff onto scaffolding etc) didn't work had to spend twice as much on bits, and even then the manufacturer had to send out a engineer to redo what we'd do due to concerns something was majorly wrong with the part... Turns out ours was missing loads of other bits that were confusing its brain..

Oh and we don't even need as we have a telehandler that can lift 3.5 tonnes and extends to 14metres in length and you can drive it...

I'm sure there is more...

05-Oct-2014 19:31:36

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

I was cracking up reading that .... except for the generator bit. 3 phase - eep!

We don't have any heavy equipment, no need for it and not enough space for it, but Mister Weazle has a similar assortment of absolute tat, snuggled cheek by jowl with brand new versions - but he won't throw the old stuff out.

It's always going to be repaired (soon) and get sold at a boot fair, or on ****, or whatever. Uh, yeah. Right.

And boxes and shelves of nameless odds and ends, small lumps of cable, tins of rusting nails, screws, coachbolts, cogs of all sizes, probably a dozen knackered chains of chainsaw blades hanging off hooks ready to garrotte the unwary ....

We even have a whacker too! Why? No idea. We have no possible use for it and never will. I think it's having it's 10th birthday party soon.

He's started muttering about renting a secure lock-up from the bloke down the road .... *shudder*

05-Oct-2014 19:42:17

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

We don't have space for it either lol.

Currently it is all packed like sardines into what was once a chicken shed.

We had a massive shed put took it down a couple month ago. It is all neatly stacked waiting for planning permission and he thinks we'll be able to reassemble it *cries* if you look at google images of "atcost building" it is like the ones that are concrete frames (has 360 digger in image) all clad with asbestos cement sheets.

Rather than just getting a new one, the cost of which will probably equate to our wages for putting up the other...

When we were making room for all the stuff of *use* from that shed we had to clear out the tat from the other, but first we had to repair the trusses and redo the sides because it hasn't had any guttering for the past 20 years and most of it had rotted... Fortunately we happened to have a pile of floorboards from a demolition job last year which came in handy... Still a great big pile of them, he saved them along with all the floor joists which are stuck somewhere else at the moment out of sight...

You can't buy them like that now..... No you can't buy them like that and by that I mean have been ripped off the floor by a jcb digger and have gouges in them tongues missing grooves full of tongues that have split off when being mutilated. More nails than you can shake a stick at too.

Anyway I digress, in the shed chest of draws full of old nails and bolts and bits of rubbish we kept them of course I mean why not. Bottles with more old nails of varying sizes a pair of coal board boots un worn was a good one.

Dunno if you've ever seen those tool boxes that when opened fold out a bit to make a couple of little shelves, but I'm not joking we must have had 10 of them, in varying condition from opens out well to falling apart. Guess what was in them! screws nails bolts old screwdrivers spanners rubbish of no use anymore all that junk.

Still got one of them chucked the others, I've never seen him use one ever.

05-Oct-2014 20:03:27 - Last edited on 05-Oct-2014 20:08:49 by Wilf

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Old chainsaw chains hanging off nails yep got them.

More old oil and diesel drums than you can possibly need so you can't walk through the lawn mower shed. half filled drums of various suspicious looking fluids.

On and on and on.

his brother is the same, although he keep stuff that even my dad wouldn't lol.

Oh ladders! Must have at least 10 sets now.

single, double, triple, short, long, very long... Only ever use 3 of em as the others are surplus.

05-Oct-2014 20:06:54 - Last edited on 05-Oct-2014 20:13:24 by Wilf

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Lolol, 'tis the biggest posts I've ever seen you make. I'd hazard a guess and say it's a bit of a bone of contention :P

And yes, ladders. Three lots of short ones, a middling set, a huge extendable pair (I mean, really ridiculously large), a telescopic set, some "thing" that's ladders but breaks down and you can make it into a sort of scaffold platform, roofing ladders, lightweight decorators ladders (for me, of course) and a truly ancient wooden set with more wormholes than Star Trek.

Still, looking on the bright side, fiddling about with all these bits of kit keeps him out of the Pub and the Bookies I 'spose......

05-Oct-2014 21:24:59

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top