Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Hymbso

Hymbso

Posts: 2,191 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Actually, haikus in Japanese don't have a set number of syllables either. Japanese on don't directly translate to syllables, therefore it's very difficult to write haiku in english language in a way that would be true to Japanese rules. Therefore I decided to take some artistic liberties in that area, but preserved the thematic ideas common in haiku.

#emotional #wisdom #hymbsosquad #hymbsoart #creative

23-Aug-2013 14:59:05 - Last edited on 23-Aug-2013 15:04:27 by Hymbso

Dracule
Mar Member 2020

Dracule

Posts: 7,459 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^ Hmmm you learn something new everyday :)
¸‹^¹´', ¸¸·¸·¸¸ ,'`¹^›¸
Dracule
¸‹^¹´', ¸¸·¸·¸¸ ,'`¹^›¸
' ´`· ˆ , -¸ . ¸- , ˆ ·´` '
………………..
' ´`· ˆ , -¸ . ¸- , ˆ ·´` '
'·ˆ·'
.………
I don't like steak
……….
'·ˆ·'

23-Aug-2013 16:17:01

Hymbso

Hymbso

I'll post some of my thoughts here I was just thinking. Some people may feel like this belongs to RS general but I'm gonna post is here because it's not about RS in particular, but about MMOs in general. Also because I can't post in OSRS general and EoCscape is a lost cause.

I remember when OSRS was released, some people wanted herbs to be grimy instead of unidentified. Their argument was that unids could be sold overpriced, because it is possible to de facto identify unidentified herbs. People often complain about luring too, on the grounds that it can cause harm to another player. I feel like these people don't really 'get' MMOs*

Runescape is not a fun game because you can click pixel rocks or pixel trees for hours and get pixel materials in your inventory which you can then put in your pixel bank account. That is not the point of RS or any other MMO for that matter. That is not challenging or stimulating. Runescape has very fun quests, which is a plus. However, quests are not really the 'thing' RS has going for it.

The main 'thing' in RS is player interactivity. Those pixel materials in your pixel bank account can be turned to pixel equipment, which can be used for pixel fights, pixel trading and impress other pixel characters. But that is the moment when it's no longer just about pixels, that is the moment when you either conflict or cooperate with other player, other person. The pixels produce something magical, an interactive experience.

Why is interactivity so important? Two things that keep us entertained: drama and friendship. These two things are often the opposite sides of player relations. If you can't ever pull a fast one on anyone, there is much less drama. Friendships are much stronger, because you need someone in the pixel world who you can trust and who you know is not deceiving you. These are very important things to MMOs.

23-Aug-2013 16:20:34 - Last edited on 23-Aug-2013 16:21:02 by Hymbso

Hymbso

Hymbso

Now, you should take my word on this when I say it: I have never tried to lure anyone, neither have I tried to deceive someone uninformed to purchase my overpriced goods. So why do I care whether luring is allowed or not? Because if it is not allowed, it de-emphasizes the importance of moral choices you make in the game. Your moral choices determine what other players think of you, good and bad are often synonymous with trustworthy and dubious. If it is not possible to cause harm for others, it devalues helpful behavior, it nullifies morality. It makes morality meaningless. This is why freedom of choice is important, and a game should not be dumbed down too much, and disallow everything that might cause harm to someone.

#wisdom #debate #emotional #hymbsosquad #hymbsoplayer #gamingtheory

23-Aug-2013 16:20:48 - Last edited on 23-Aug-2013 16:29:21 by Hymbso

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hmmm OK, I'll give you that one - it's thought-provoking.

However, I am a maverick and don't rely in any way shape or form on social activity within the game. In fact, I actively avoid it every way I can.

I care not about the opinion of others as to my stats, wealth or worldly pixel goods and only engage in a co-operative venture if I have absolutely no choice.

However, I care passionately about luring and scamming - the welfare of other players. I want nothing to do with my fellow-player, but I am concerned as to their well-being.

Something of a paradox.

23-Aug-2013 16:53:19

Hymbso

Hymbso

I didn't say I'm not concerned about the welfare of other players, or want players to try to pull a cheap one on others all the time, or want to do such a thing myself. What is important is the potentiality of doing harmful things, that's what makes non-harmful decisions meaningful and creates tension to player interaction.

#wisdom #emotional #debate #hymbsosquad #hymbsogames

23-Aug-2013 17:02:32

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Then I have very little grounds on which to comment, since my interactions are fleeting and enforced.

However, the ability and inclination to select one's course of action is set in one's psyche long before the game is entered, surely?

We are shaped and moulded by genetics and upbringing into doing what we do. Not much influenced by the instant in which we find ourselves, or the behaviours of those around us. Our course is already set.

Nature -v- Nurture.

23-Aug-2013 17:21:02

Hymbso

Hymbso

Catweazle said :
However, the ability and inclination to select one's course of action is set in one's psyche long before the game is entered, surely?

Maybe, but one has to take account that this is the internet we are talking about, people can act very differently when they are behind their ingame persona versus in 'real life'. At least this is the observation I have made about people who I know in real life and I've also played with in an online game. People can act in very unpredictable ways when they enter the game, not always, but sometimes.

I announce that saving RSOT will be merely the beginning. My long term goal is to save gaming as a whole.

More on MMOs in general. One important activity players practice in an MMO is trading. Runescape also has (at least mostly) free trading. Free trading is good because it makes the gameworld breath because goods don't just have their prices set in stone. Unlike in real life, I feel that economic fluctuations and changes are mostly a positive thing in MMOs because they spice things up a bit. There is one part of player-to-player trading that most MMOs overlook which is currencies. I have yet to play an MMO without a central currency which is distributed via game world.

If I were to release an MMO, it would be player factions who would be in charge of controlling currencies. Player controlled currencies would have two benefits. First of all it would remove the need for 'money sinks', because players are in charge of money supply, the responsibility of maintaining it is delegated to them. Second, it would make in game politics much deeper if player factions would be in control of monetary policy, which is something that I find important in MMOs.

#deepthoughts #emotional #hymbsosquad #dreambig #hymbsonomics #superstar

23-Aug-2013 20:43:52 - Last edited on 23-Aug-2013 20:45:00 by Hymbso

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top