Forums

Wilderness Update

Quick find code: 181-182-938-66259258

DarknessJak
Jan Member 2018

DarknessJak

Posts: 463 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Love it, haven't attempted some of the things but so far it's great! I especially love the fact that now I'm not scared to do clues in the wildy, meaning I can actually use my swap clue Globetrotter bag on clues I don't actually like, aka sliding puzzle clues, I think a lot of people missed out on that part but it's amazing, thanks Jagex!!

02-Aug-2022 14:53:32 - Last edited on 02-Aug-2022 14:53:53 by DarknessJak

DarknessJak
Jan Member 2018

DarknessJak

Posts: 463 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dr Qlab said :
What's a swap bag? I've never been able to do the slide puzzles it's why I never do cluesim actually stuck on 1 thats been on my account for over 10yrs

It's called the Globetrotter Backpack it lets you swap a clue up to 4 times you buy it from Zaida outside the Grand Exchange for a certain amount of points

03-Aug-2022 18:53:11

Vengeance of
Mar Member 2018

Vengeance of

Posts: 2,372 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've just come back from several months away from the game, so I didn't hear about the Wilderness changes until they were in place.

To say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the end result would be putting it mildly. The Wilderness actually feels scary now; I just did my first Warbands run in a dog's age, and it's incredible what adding a bunch of high-level aggressive monsters everywhere (and some randomly spawning flash mobs) can do to make you feel like the place actively wants you dead.

And yet, despite some of the randomized mechanics, it feels like a "fair" level of threat, unlike the possibility of getting steamrolled by a co-ordinated bunch of PKers who only want to make you miserable. Getting mauled to death out there actually feels like a punishment for being unprepared. And best of all, even on the low populations worlds that I frequent, this feeling of impeding doom never goes away just because other players rarely venture into the place.

I'm particularly impressed that Jagex managed to pull this off without getting rid of Dangerous PvP entirely. I was convinced that the only way to fix the Wilderness was for it to go the way of the Duel Arena and completely reworked from its original design, but Jagex has proven me wrong. Somehow they found a way to give (almost) everyone what they wanted without it being at the expense of someone else. Turning skulls into a PvP marker instead of a lingering debuff was pretty genius (and it ending as soon as you leave the Wilderness is a massive quality of life improvement for Warbands, etc.)

Most impressively, they nailed it on their first try (minus a few growing pains that I'm sure will be fixed in the coming week); I was worried that we'd have an awkward trial-and-error phase (see: how most of the previous Wilderness changes failed), but no, things are already looking great.

Chapeau, Jagex. This was quite the pleasant surprise to return to.

06-Aug-2022 09:54:39

Vengeance of
Mar Member 2018

Vengeance of

Posts: 2,372 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I spent some more time in the Wilderness today, and I saw something today that I don't think I've ever seen there before in all my years playing: people having a legitimately great time without it being at the expense of others.

I saw people chatting while doing Slayer. I saw a few players working together at the Chaos Elemental without being worried that their allies were going to stab them in the back. I even saw experienced players drawing aggro from aggressive monsters so that their lower level friends could pass by unscathed. All without a griefer or would-be skull-tricker in sight. Almost brought a tear to my eye. Who would have thought that the Wilderness, of all places, could ever become such a hotspot of hope overcoming adversity? I never thought I'd see the day.

For the first time in ages, I feel legitimately excited about the prospect of further Wilderness exclusive content. Bravo, Jagex!

07-Aug-2022 09:43:46

Cherie Amore
May Member 2005

Cherie Amore

Posts: 2,325 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for making this thread, that's what I came here to do myself. :) So, I'll just hitch a ride on this thread.

YES! I am tickled pink with red horns over this one. I NEVER liked the Wildy as I would never be a pvp person. I am so excited to be in the Wildy listening to the spooky music and wondering what monsters I am going to run into next.

I never had a chance with pvp, and how I accomplished all the Wildy tasks I don't know. Maybe it's my time zone, since no one is hardly on.

So, thank you Jagex...huuugggsss! ^_^

08-Aug-2022 02:01:01

Quick find code: 181-182-938-66259258 Back to Top