Forums

New player model?

Quick find code: 16-17-995-66177764

John Columbo

John Columbo

Posts: 287 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
While I'm excited for this, I mainly want to know if this update will fix the graphical bug that most of the newer items and cosmetics suffer from... (The one where equipped items are super shiny, and turn nearly completely white in certain light conditions.)

27-Dec-2020 18:26:14

Mauhur
Jun Member 2023

Mauhur

Posts: 861 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm excited for this update as well. Jagex said they would look into updating our character models in the future, but they never gave us a firm date about when they'd look into it. 2021 being that year is really quite good.

The release of Runescape HD back in 2008 was the last major overhaul of our character models. Since then the HD model has been used as a baseline for subsequent improvements like the addition of faces, better hand shapes, EoC related changes, and the implementation of cosmetic overrides. Through all of this, the HD models have remained in use for about 12 years now. I know the one thing that has remained virtually the same would be the chat head models. Unless the chat head is covered by an override, they look identical to when they were first implemented all those years ago.

My hope is that the new base model will iron out any problems we've experienced with the aging HD model. Additionally, it'd be nice if our facial structures and shapes could be customized so that we don't look like a simple reskin of the same old chat heads.

For those who like the old look it'd be nice if there was also an option to use the old models. Sort of like what we have with the retro overrides, but retaining what we have now instead of an approximation of what we think of as "retro".

Any other thoughts?

27-Dec-2020 22:40:44

Winter XII

Winter XII

Posts: 49 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I love this game and would play it again (spend a lot time here in 2004-2015) due it amazing quest story system, exploration possibility and etc however I'm one of this people who always prefer game graphic first and sadly but RuneScape is not in my list anymore due outdated graphic. I know they did so many updates too graphic but is still not enough 3D models still looks too much cubic. Tress, Grass mostly static only some area have updated tree. I hope one day we will see new RunesScape or old remastered that don't have anymore this cubic outdated models. Sadly but for now all this models is very low polygon and can't achieve perfect smooth lines for face, body, costumes and etc.

28-Dec-2020 18:52:07 - Last edited on 28-Dec-2020 18:54:24 by Winter XII

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zarb said :
Only problem is alot of the areas look so outdated that it will look extremely odd. it'll be like a HD character on a 1960s screen.

Most places in Gielinor are actually hardly outdated comparing to the other MMORPGs. We need to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Traditionally MMORPGs have vast persistent maps than the shooters, Battle Rayale and MOBAs with smaller and ever changing splashy maps from seasons to seasons. MMORPGs graphics may look pale comparing to these modern genres in the 2020 season but that's only because we are not comparing modern MMORPGs graphics (RS3 included) to the never updated and rarely played versions of these new genres from 6 or 7 years back. :D

Just take a look at how "outdated" Azeroth in WoW is for an example. It is easy to see why MMORPGs, even in the size of Retail WOW won't go back to every single corner of their old maps and update them. It is not cost effective because the general interests are in the new areas like Shadowlands, and how amazing the player character and NPCs look like. We can take a clue at the evolution of Sylvanas' graphics model from an unimpressive and barely noticed High Elf in Warcraft to Blood Elf in WoW Classic and now she looks like the real unique Undead ruler of the Undercity in Shadowland. To most players, Sylvanas Windrunner is now the face of WoW. Guess what? It sells big, really really big! :D

30-Dec-2020 17:28:29 - Last edited on 30-Dec-2020 17:50:01 by Dilbert2001

Darklore
Sep Member 2004

Darklore

Posts: 1,763 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
John Columbo said :
While I'm excited for this, I mainly want to know if this update will fix the graphical bug that most of the newer items and cosmetics suffer from... (The one where equipped items are super shiny, and turn nearly completely white in certain light conditions.)

I have had this problem with all the outfits since the 2nd or 3rd yak track came out and now the 20th anniversary outfit looks the same :( All washed out colours so I have'nt worn any of it cause it does'nt look good :(
I was hoping I could find some answers to when this would be fixed but...nothing...
Anyone know something? I'm starting to get frustrated here... :|
(sorry to get off-topic)
Ð arklore of V ampyrium

*,¸„
»°'´
*¸„»°'
´`'°«„
¸*¸
„»°'´`
'°«„¸*
`'°«
„¸,*

06-Jan-2021 12:12:06

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Darklore said :
John Columbo said :

I have had this problem with all the outfits since the 2nd or 3rd yak track came out and now the 20th anniversary outfit looks the same :( All washed out colours so I have'nt worn any of it cause it does'nt look good :(
I was hoping I could find some answers to when this would be fixed but...nothing...
(sorry to get off-topic)

This is only the perceptions of a couple of players. Of course the artists aren't going to "fix" Mona Lisa just because a couple of people think it is a graphical "bug". Likewise, do you think Jagex should "fix" the graphical "bug" with the gnome children's skin not being the classical
green
? :D

06-Jan-2021 16:04:15

Darklore
Sep Member 2004

Darklore

Posts: 1,763 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Darklore said :
John Columbo said :

(sorry to get off-topic)

Yay! They are aware of the problem and are working on it. But it's a difficult fix they said. I guess it won't get ready untill the new player model comes out. But at least I can be excited too :D Thanx Jagex. It has not just been the yak track but all armour, weapons and other outfits, even pets. Everything broken. So yea, I'm excited now. Doubble excited :)
Ð arklore of V ampyrium

*,¸„
»°'´
*¸„»°'
´`'°«„
¸*¸
„»°'´`
'°«„¸*
`'°«
„¸,*

18-Mar-2021 10:03:41

Quick find code: 16-17-995-66177764 Back to Top