Forums

Please reconsider GE Tax

Quick find code: 16-17-871-66268691

Permattis
Sep Member 2007

Permattis

Posts: 67 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The proposed GE Tax punishes skillers while giving PvMers almost free deaths. Why do skillers have to pay for this change? Why is this change even needed? Just keep it the way it is and implement other gold sinks or increase the price of deaths for PvMers.

10-Dec-2022 19:09:29 - Last edited on 10-Dec-2022 19:09:42 by Permattis

Roddy Piper
Jan Member 2011

Roddy Piper

Posts: 13,751 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's a sad thing. I thought they were going to poll it before making any changes? I don't want to pay for other players' mistakes.

For newer players and those inexperienced in combat, they should look at the worst case scenarios and default setups to make sure those players are not sabotaging their own progress.

11-Dec-2022 03:47:08

8InchDagger
Jan Member 2005

8InchDagger

Posts: 729 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jagex, I too am against your proposed GE tax.

I remember life before the GE & the introduction in 2007 was a welcome improvement.

1) The GE gives us a trusted trade price indicator. All too often I was ripped off by dishonest street merchants, sometimes working in collusion, who manipulated the apparent street price. Before GE, there was no trusted price indicator & I see similar uncertainty in true prices currently in items > max stack hence I do not purchase the same. If I cannot trade an item on the GE then I probably will not.

2) SPAM was horrible. the auto text users saturated the screen with their cries. I really do not enjoy seeing the same on the current trade worlds & continue to avoid them. Everyone has a number where the tax will feel excessive & street trading to avoid the tax will be considered. Such street trades require advertising SPAM.

I at least offer an alternative with the added bonus that it allows Jagex to manage inflation & fair pricing on the top end of the value range items; a proposal that will infuriate some merchants. I refer you to my email to [email protected] dated 25/10/2019. I have previously proposed a Jagex-managed GE price management mechanism & suspect one of Mod Mark's final RuneFest teasers referenced one part of my proposal. It certainly used the same key word.

"No taxation without representation."
0.....I.....1.....I.....2.....I.....3.....I.....4.....I.....5.....I.....6.....I.....7.....I.....8

11-Dec-2022 09:12:01

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Posts: 9,169 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
OS has introduced the tax (or as they call it: convenience fee) last year after getting rid of their duel arena staking (+ tax) - 1 % tax with a cap of 5m per item. While I was heavily on the fence before that introduction, effectively you just do not really feel it for your day to day stuff - it deduces a few hundred to thousand coins per transaction, that's basically the same as the usual price fluctuation - the sole exception is if you flip stuff, that potentially might eat up your profit.

Since RS3 proposes no cap, it will become an issue for really expensive items - but let's be honest, that isn't an issue for skillers - or have you ever sold something worth billions - I mean something you've obtained yourself by skilling? That's solely one for PvMers, which get their much cheaper deaths instead. And yeah - treasure trailers for their ultra expensive things. It might be worth to trade person to person if 20m for a 1b transaction is too much for you, but let's be real - is that actually feelable there either? Someone who can net this continously doesn't care about that as much as you shouldn't care about a 200 gp fee for your 10k deal. As long as you literally do not flip (or buy things to make stuff with an extremely narrow margin, which likely will adjust itself) it's really not an issue.

I mean it potentially could be feelable, since the trade cap will become much higher in addition - but then again - 20 billions of a trillion transaction... 20 trillions for a quadrillion... 20 quadrillions for a quintillion... and let's be honest until we trade in those dimensions. And then there is that tax...
Improvements: Tooltip / (F2P) QoL v2
Quick Fixes: Invention

11-Dec-2022 09:51:11 - Last edited on 11-Dec-2022 10:13:44 by Rikornak

SlR
Nov Member 2020

SlR

Posts: 4,378 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
1% is nothing, well worth the cost of using the G/E which is a big convenience. How many of you get impatient and pay +5% or +20% to get something sooner? That speaks for itself.

If you don't want to pay 1% to use the service, then don't. Trade things person-to-person instead. Be thankful they aren't taxing that (which some people are proposing they should).

I'm in support of the tax but I'm sceptical that it'll have much of an impact tbh.
Bob says:
A bank PIN will keep your items secure.
Always check the second trade screen.
Never trade in the Wilderness!
Keep your computer keylogger-free and virus scanned.
Never give your password out to anyone.

11-Dec-2022 09:56:35

Quick find code: 16-17-871-66268691 Back to Top