Forums

An Argument Against FreshStart

Quick find code: 16-17-56-66260300

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Shaney Waney said :

Current players are most defiantly being encouraged and included in participating in this new game mode. Here is a quote taken from their own article, and notice the term I highlighted in red...

Yes we are, but we arent the core target ppl here for this version.

The latter part of that sentence is what most here arent acknowledging.

So just because we're obviously included doesnt mean jack.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

16-Aug-2022 03:58:29 - Last edited on 16-Aug-2022 03:58:43 by Draco Burnz

King Wulfe
Nov Member 2019

King Wulfe

Posts: 144 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Draco Burnz said :
Shaney Waney said :

Current players are most defiantly being encouraged and included in participating in this new game mode. Here is a quote taken from their own article, and notice the term I highlighted in red...

I'd say we are almost entirely the core target. The xp rates in Rs3 can take someone to max in a very short amount of time, compared to how it use to be.
They are banking on those die hard, rare collecting and highscore chasing individuals who only play rs3 to dive into the fray with hundreds of dollars and tackle the highscores or collect items to bring back into the world and sell when they become rare discontinued.

Honestly, I think this "gamemode" is an attempt to boost membership numbers, I feel like Jagex is setting up for something, possibly selling the company over. Gotta show that the game is growing. Just a thought, but this "event" is NOT targeted towards new players in any way shape or form, if it was they wouldn't have added all the fancy rewards.

Let's face the facts, Jagex is a company that almost always tends to make the wrong decision, this might not kill the game, or even damage it but it is leaving a terribly bad taste in my mouth that might be enough for a few of us to walk away for good.

Check it out!

16-Aug-2022 04:39:09

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
King Wulfe said :
Draco Burnz said :
Shaney Waney said :

I'd say we are almost entirely the core target. The xp rates in Rs3 can take someone to max in a very short amount of time, compared to how it use to be.
They are banking on those die hard, rare collecting and highscore chasing individuals who only play rs3 to dive into the fray with hundreds of dollars and tackle the highscores or collect items to bring back into the world and sell when they become rare discontinued.

Honestly, I think this "gamemode" is an attempt to boost membership numbers, I feel like Jagex is setting up for something, possibly selling the company over. Gotta show that the game is growing. Just a thought, but this "event" is NOT targeted towards new players in any way shape or form, if it was they wouldn't have added all the fancy rewards.

Let's face the facts, Jagex is a company that almost always tends to make the wrong decision, this might not kill the game, or even damage it but it is leaving a terribly bad taste in my mouth that might be enough for a few of us to walk away for good.

Who said new players don't want the "fancy" rewards? Look at where the new players play nowadyas... Fortnite, Apex Legends, LoL... all with fancy cosmetics rewards.

New players don't play $12.5 a month to play just a couple of old games when they can pay $5 to pay like 20 or 30 games with many AAA titles among them rather.

16-Aug-2022 04:47:59

Dodgy Mike
Apr Member 2020

Dodgy Mike

Posts: 19 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dilbert2001, sorry, I would quote your post but I'm going to hit char limit with it. This is in regard to your immediate reply to my post.

I did say in my original post that I take issue with creating a new account to enjoy ironman. I also elaborate on why I made one anyway. Ironman introduced a completely new gameplay style to the game and that is why I decided to put the time, effort, and money into a new account. I still maintain that your ironman should be part of your base subscription along with your RS3 and OS characters. Following this logic, if your FSW character was part of your account, I would have no monetary argument against it. For more detail on why I am against creating multiple accounts, you can read the original post.

On your second point, I don't really care what OS is doing. I don't play it and don't follow it. I'm focused on what RS3 is doing right now with FSW and I do not like how it is being implemented. There is a major element of FOMO with FSW system and that is a cheap mobile game tactic that a game company is subjecting its players to for profit.

On the final point, you're right, other MMOs do have paid expansions. Those MMOs are not RS3. The ones I have played also do not demand that I subscribe a whole new account to enjoy the content. I pay for the content and then enjoy it on the same characters I enjoyed the last piece of content on without losing everything I gained on that character. If they implemented this as I mentioned in my post with a $15 flat price tag, I would probably participate. Again, on your OS point, I don't care what OS is doing and it does not pertain to my feelings about FSW. Were I invested in OS, I would probably make similar comments assuming the systems are similarly predatory.

16-Aug-2022 22:09:35 - Last edited on 16-Aug-2022 22:11:45 by Dodgy Mike

Dodgy Mike
Apr Member 2020

Dodgy Mike

King Wulfe said :
Draco Burnz said :
Shaney Waney said :

I agree with your overall sentiment, but I do think that they are appealing to new players with the boosted XP rates. I have many friends who refuse to touch RS because it has the well earned reputation of being a very slow burner. I think that some people will definitely check it out for that aspect alone. I think that everything else is designed to appeal to existing players, though, to get more of their money.

16-Aug-2022 22:19:58

Dodgy Mike
Apr Member 2020

Dodgy Mike

I raised the point in my original post about the boosted XP rates. If that is the direction they want to take RS, they need to commit to it instead of releasing a money trap gamemode to give players a taste of it before taking it away. I would imagine a lot of new players will just quit once the FSW ends and they get hit with normal xp rates if xp rates were the reason they didn't want to play in the first place.

16-Aug-2022 22:22:06

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

^^
You don't have a problem paying extra to add an IM, fine for you but not everybody wants to pay extra to add an IM. What if RS3 adds Group IM and demands extra payment for each of the 5 new IM alts you want to create and play as a group?

You don't play OSRS, fine but you can't stop Jagex from applying what they have been applying and monetizing OSRS players to their noses to RS3 if there see profits there.

Likewise, you may have a "FOMO" problem and you don't play the FOMO OSRS Leagues, but you can't stop Jagex to implement "FOMO" OSRS Leagues content in RS3 when they see profits there.

16-Aug-2022 22:27:11

Dodgy Mike
Apr Member 2020

Dodgy Mike

Dilbert2001 said :
^^
You don't have a problem paying extra to add an IM, fine for you but not everybody wants to pay extra to add an IM. What if RS3 adds Group IM and demands extra payment for each of the 5 new IM alts you want to create and play as a group?

You don't play OSRS, fine but you can't stop Jagex from applying what they have been applying and monetizing OSRS players to their noses to RS3 if there see profits there.

Likewise, you may have a "FOMO" problem and you don't play the FOMO OSRS Leagues, but you can't stop Jagex to implement "FOMO" OSRS Leagues content in RS3 when they see profits there.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I do have a problem with paying to add an ironman. I view it as a predatory monetization strategy instead of just making it an alt you can play on the same account if you are an existing player who is paying for a membership. I would not make the same choice I made back when I made my ironman had I the knowledge then that I do now. While ironman is not as egregious an offense as FSW, it had a similar layer of greed masked by the content.

I'm also not claiming that I can stop Jagex. I'm just making my opinions on their content known. They can and will do whatever it is they want, whether I like it or not. Each time they release content like this, it pushes players like myself closer to the unsubscribe button. If it brings in great revenue and a huge number of people like it, then I'll just be in the minority, and that's fine. The game just isn't for me anymore in that case and I'll go find something else to play.

16-Aug-2022 23:43:13

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

^^
OK. I don't want to pay subscription for each of my characters either so I stay out of content like GIM. Actually I don't think Jagex's current subscription model will hold up for many years anyway. I can see in the future they will come up with better database and engine technologies to let us pay one price for multiple characters, but perhaps they will also rework their subscription model to optional subscriptions with more MTX perks and every content will become free to access. But players will then cry MTX. :D

17-Aug-2022 00:09:04

Dodgy Mike
Apr Member 2020

Dodgy Mike

I totally understand that. As for the sub model, I agree. Subscription models are dying out across the gaming spectrum. Like you mentioned in a previous discussion with someone else in this thread, why would a new player pay 12.50 a month for RS when they can drop 5 bucks across a dozen free to play, triple A titles? I'm just hopeful that whatever Jagex formulates to replace the subscription model with doesn't spit in the face of players. We'll just have to wait and see!

In the meantime, I'll continue advocating for content I want and against content I don't and I would imagine you'll be doing the same.

17-Aug-2022 00:54:27

Quick find code: 16-17-56-66260300 Back to Top