I was right about Arch...

Quick find code: 16-17-51-66203706

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Vezad said :
Jeremy Cheng said :
I was right about arch. It was a ploy to force players to spend hundreds of mills just to get max cape back.

If you think it's bad now just wait until the next skill and the one after that. :)

He is already easily proven wrong as any player can make hundreds of millions and achieve 200 mil xp in Archaeology just by digging and selling the materials in RS3. :)

23-Feb-2021 16:18:16

ChrisWebster

ChrisWebster

Posts: 28 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
KILLpavlosog said :

Game sucks a lot, and employees do not know what they are doing. Extremely bad leadership. Scammed playerbase and ruined the economy by means of mtx.

I'd agree somewhat with this, and with OP.
Jagex makes "plans" that are equivalent to scrawling due dates on a piece of construction paper with crayons, then decides to change their mind after the thing is out about how they want it to work, not often with good results.

While the quest lore is different from the main game in a lot of ways, changing the requirements to doing an aspect of a skill that already exists, means either the people that designed the quest did a very, very poor job, or the people that designed the skill did so with absolutely no consultation with the teams working on related things, like the quest.

Here, I'm inclined to go with the former, because there's no way writing, designing, and implementing a quest for a game as simplistic as runescape takes longer than arch has been out.
For me, changing the requirements for any aspect of the base game to put it in a quest "because reasons" is bad game design.
As is having wield/check be the default left click options for weapons like Enhanced Excalibur. As is allowing movement like surge to cancel basically any tick based animation that exists early. As is really so many little things that have built up overtime because of the lack of communication and short-sighted design planning/implementation that has been staple of jagex for many years.

They are not a top tier game design company lol. RS is passable, certainly - but with like a D+. Could be improved substantially by designing for future possibilities and adding incredibly simple default option customization, but with the people in charge I don't see it getting better than a C

23-Feb-2021 19:29:27 - Last edited on 23-Feb-2021 19:30:20 by ChrisWebster

Narangren
Sep Member 2022

Narangren

Posts: 160 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"They are not a top tier game design company lol. RS is passable, certainly - but with like a D+. Could be improved substantially by designing for future possibilities and adding incredibly simple default option customization, but with the people in charge I don't see it getting better than a C"

Interesting... I would give Runescape a B+, personally, there are things to improve, and some nuisances, but, by and large, the game works and isn't completely riddled with bugs (they exist, but every game has bugs), it has fun and engaging storylines, easy and hard parts, grinds and quick completions, as well as hundreds of options for what to do and how to play. It still has a large, active community, and is getting updates, which is a huge positive in my book.
I've played better, but I have also played far, far worse.
I've played games that I would give an A, but only one of those is a MMO like Runescape is, so I'd say that it is doing really well.

As a side note, why do you play/why pay for a membership (or grind the gold for bonds) if the game is "barely passable?" Why not spend your time playing something you enjoy more?
Narangren Tirthallion, sword-for-hire, at your service.

23-Feb-2021 21:11:43 - Last edited on 23-Feb-2021 21:13:42 by Narangren

ChrisWebster

ChrisWebster

Posts: 28 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Narangren said :

As a side note, why do you play/why pay for a membership (or grind the gold for bonds) if the game is "barely passable?" Why not spend your time playing something you enjoy more?

It's a game I can literally afk while studying for post secondary lol. The amount of time I actually spend paying attention is relatively low, to be entirely honest.
I only pay attention when I'm doing one of the agreeable pieces of content - I actually do enjoy bossing with the eoc changes, for instance. One thing Jagex actually did right.

I've played far worse too, in terms of overall bug presence (my god man, I've played cyberpunk, and to be frank, CoD Cold War belongs in /dev/null) but in terms of general vision for where they want to go and actual implementation, Jagex is just clueless. It's not necessarily big things either - it's a million and ten straws that break the camel's back.
You know, the really stupid shit like the action bar default for augmented EE being inspect, or numerous "......why though?" points in quests, certain boss mechanics, the million different layers of RNG....
It's fine as a game to play afk when I'm doing other stuff, maybe one of the best afk simulators out there.
As an actual game, being played?
Too many questionable design decisions for me

24-Feb-2021 19:06:36 - Last edited on 24-Feb-2021 19:11:37 by ChrisWebster

Quick find code: 16-17-51-66203706 Back to Top