Forums

Aftermath: Woodcutter's Grove

Quick find code: 15-16-76-66282204

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

Posts: 1,666 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The following content partly is speculation about the upcoming quest 'Dead and Buried', as well as describes the Woodcutter's Grove update to Fort Forinthry. Both of those focuses of discourse may delve into spoilers in the Fort Forinthry saga up to 'Unwelcome Guests.'

Not too much lore this time around. Oak and his charming 'Pokemon' examine text and his lovely partner Willow now watch over a tree sanctuary east of Fort Forinthry, and the walls and new guard seem to be holding well. What has kinda gone pretty unsaid however, is that the Grove also has a yet-to-be-accessible cave entrance underneath the plateau of Silvarea (specifically, the Rag and Bone Man's location, which may be relevant in it of itself...?)

Could this be a safer entrance to that Dragonkin Crypt we and Zemouregal uncovered in UG? Or is it perhaps another expansion to Fort Forinthry entirely?

---

It appears that people are -not- pigeonholed into waiting at the Fort for trees to respawn in order to find T3 Grove bird's nests. This is a major relief, as it encourages people to simply woodcut for the logs they wish, which may allow them to take advantage of the Fort's newly hiked price tag, and kind of brings life to several tree locations around the game as opposed to just the brand new one.

I'm a fan of the wood box, but not of wood spirits, and these aren't even on boss drop tables yet.

According to the Wiki, if you wait to talk to Oak after getting a T3 Cabin built, he will give you a nest with an axe piece in it that is next in the cycle . This means, you can find the first three pieces, and then immediately claim your last one (and thus, your Incamdo Hatchet) from Oak. I didn't know that until after I claimed mine first thing.

I love the Grove. If it were missing anything at all, it would be either a Teak at T2, or a Mahogany at T3. It didn't need all of the trees in game. ;)
Quest Cape Owner since 2021

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

20-Jun-2023 09:10:56

Mr Brushie

Mr Brushie

Posts: 1,161 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
H 1 L D A said :
It didn't need all of the trees in game. ;)

Oh, but it did.

It's the Woodcutter's Grove , after all. It should represent at the very least one tree of each and every type.

I mean, is anybody seriously going to be cutting the normal trees that make up 35% of the tree population?

20-Jun-2023 09:47:08

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

I don't know about everyone, but in the short term, I could see the Fort's normal trees being the original source for players' newly crafted wood box. That's what I did. I was already there after having built my cabin and wanted to experience the update without porters or the golden cape perk as it will be experienced by newer accounts.

I'll run through the trees.

> Normal, present.
> Oak, present.
> Willow, present

> Teak, a very understandably confusing omission given how sparse hardwoods in general are, and how mid-level building equipment is used in Fort Forinthry. The easiest ones to reach are either utilizing the Hardwood Grove after coughing up trading sticks to the denizens of Tai Bwo Wannai, or running all the way west just south of Castle Wars.

> Maples don't have the same marketability as Teaks in that they aren't used in Construction. While they are cheap Firemaking xp, Maples found in Seers Village can be argued to be a unique trait of the Member's specific area, while the Daemonheim Resource Area is the only place Free players can find them. Maples can be farmed in the Grove if so desired by lower leveled players.

> Acadias, while on the wood box progression list, are notable for only being found in desert climates in RuneScape. Climate will be a routine argument for the missing trees in the Grove if you want to talk about Hollow trees (Swamp), or Evergreens (cold areas).

> Mahogany, pretty compelling reward for building a Cabin with the same Construction value as Teaks. Would like to see the hardwoods. I had to cut them on Mos'Le Harmless for the wood box upgrade.

> Magics are probably the most ideal tree to plant in the farming patch rewarded at T2, but maybe didn't get a natural spawn location due to clashing with the autumnal color palette the rest of the Grove offers.

> Elder, present.

> Bloodwood, would be an interesting, sensible, reward, but clashes with "nature healing."

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

20-Jun-2023 10:20:41 - Last edited on 20-Jun-2023 10:23:28 by H 1 L D A

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

One of the best things Woodcutting has going for it is that trees are literally everywhere in RuneScape, and exploring to find the locations of those trees is really the only whimsy and diversity the skill has. Coupled with the news that the birds nests aren't just upgraded if you cut a tree in the fort but everywhere in the game, it's become clear that Jagex wasn't trying to force players to stay in the Fort to woodcut.

Many of the missing trees are either inconsequential, have significant trade-offs (like very long hikes through caves with Slayer creatures and a need for a light source, or paying villagers for access to their exclusive grove with local currency), or may be integrated with other mechanics that set the tree apart (Acadias are an easy source for Menaphos reputation, for example.)

Was the tree distribution perfect? No, the hardwoods could have been pretty easily distinguishable rewards that would have fit both the current use of the land, as well as its previous use as a lumberyard, but when you take into account things like climate and aesthetic, its easy to see why Jagex made the decisions they did and I would say they are justifiable.

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

20-Jun-2023 10:33:23

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,311 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Your grace, the pink elephant in the Woodcutter's Grove is it commenced the expansion of our player owned Fort into existing Misthalin regions. Translations: our RS3 dukedom and its influence is rapidly growing. We may hit Lumford next, and then circle back to Edgeville?

We are going to be breathing down the neck of the Odd Old Man. We may be able to go directly from the Grove to the Skeletal Horror through the cave later. Xau-Tak, do you really really think you can save them?

As soon as we have built the Grove,
new birds
are migrating to our dukedom from the North East.. which is Daemonheim... or further more north east.... which is Anachronia? Anyway, we should be glad to welcome all the new birds with the like mind to RS3.

Oak is suspicious too from the beginning when he is named "???". He is an uninvited guest, although not unwelcome, similar to the mysterious named banker next to the well in the Fort. And as for fortune, and as for fame, we never invited them in...

20-Jun-2023 17:32:16 - Last edited on 20-Jun-2023 18:10:09 by Dilbert2001

Horsechaser
Feb Member 2010

Horsechaser

Posts: 4,200 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There are two teaks west of uzer on coast and two new acadia trees north of uzer, so those are easy to get to if you have the desert ammy teleport.

Also dont forget the two mahogany trees next to each other in the karazi jungle just east of kharazi jungle fairy ring, an easy tele.

Also two mahoganys close to each other at ape atoll south island. A bit more of a pain to get to but glory to karamja to pick up a banana and two laws and elemental staff to ape atoll. Dont forget your gris gris to get out the gate alive to get to mahogany trees. But kharazi jungle mahoganys are a lot faster (and safer) to get to.

A bit odd too that teaks are in the desert as a teak tree is a tropical denizen.

20-Jun-2023 21:07:14 - Last edited on 20-Jun-2023 21:16:33 by Horsechaser

Mini JIT
Oct Member 2014

Mini JIT

Posts: 2,211 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^^ There are also teaks west of the fairy ring in karazi jungle but the wolf can hurt low level players. The fairy ring was added just as I got 200m on iron account before that I just used the witch doctor mask tele and cut into the forest.

20-Jun-2023 21:48:43

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Pulseironic said :
2 new mahogany and two acadia trees added to karamja and uzer respectively. all the logs needed for the wood boxes are now no longer quest/combat locked!

Yes, very good "aftermath" from the Woodcutter's Grove. There should be more future updates on logs and trees leading up to the next Fort update featuring artisan skills related to WC similar to how new smithing mechanics was implemented for the new mining mechanics.

21-Jun-2023 17:58:45

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Perhaps more aftermath from Woodcutter's Grove...

The way it is drawing new animals to the RS3's Grove, it is not far fetched to think it is a fertile. It reminds us of Lumford, the most fertile region of Misthalin. So Lumford may be closer to our Fort than many players think.

24-Jun-2023 01:24:09

Quick find code: 15-16-76-66282204 Back to Top