Forums

Clan Recruitment Untruth

Quick find code: 14-15-482-66293111

Archaeox
Dec Member 2011

Archaeox

Posts: 53,469 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The newspost says:

Naturally, we're eager to help communities find new homes for Clan Recruitment and similar ways to connect – we've already helped our respective Discord servers prepare so that Clans can continue to enjoy the same functionality as before, but with a more direct and timely method of connecting with our JMods and other players.

And yet... the #clan-recruitment channel on the official RS Discord still says:
ONLY links which direct to the RuneScape Official Forums can be posted in this channel. Please do not post other links in this channel or have them in your clan advertisement pictures. This includes Clan Discord server links.

Yeah, LOTS of preparation been going on there, right?
~~~~ Just another victim of the ambient morality ~~~~

~~ Founder of the Caped Carousers quest cape clan ~~

!! Slava Ukraini - heroyam slava !!

13-Jan-2024 16:15:22

Bruce Waayne
Mar Member 2024

Bruce Waayne

Posts: 4,667 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I dont go into discord servers i dont know. Guess ill be finding all my clans in game.
OSRS - Filled with harassers sad...~
- Give me Private Hiscores this should not be public information! Goodbye Forumers its been fun.

13-Jan-2024 16:24:14

YtHaar-Mej
Dec Member 2005

YtHaar-Mej

Posts: 25,052 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There could be plans on the way to utilize the forum feature on discord similar to how the RS threads work, but lets face it.

NOT EVERYONE uses Discord. It's all gatekept from the public unless you're in it.

Clan recruitment has ALWAYS succeeded via the forums. Google search indexing can give people a wide list of options. Sorted sub-forums help spread out listings to narrow down options as well.

Bruce Waayne said :
I dont go into discord servers i dont know. Guess ill be finding all my clans in game.
OSRS has it easy with the advertisement board, but it lacks the ability to post a proper application and have that communication path. RS3 is gonna struggle given that you'd have to find a vexillum, hear from someone, contact to join.
Can I turn in a paper without citing all sources?
"No."[1]
1. William Shakespeare, Hamlet , Act III, Scene 1, line 96.

13-Jan-2024 16:32:19

DrauDaedolon
Aug Member 2006

DrauDaedolon

Posts: 10,129 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't belong to a clan and have very little interest in them, but it seems to me that clans - at least in RS3 - have been somewhat neglected.

An idea that just came to mind - alter the vexillum stands in Burthorpe and the Clan Camp to be a little more permanent. A person could place a vexillum and it would remain there for so many hours, even if they logged out. To stop overcrowding, the vexillum would only appear on the world it was placed in.

13-Jan-2024 17:02:37

Applejuiceaj
Nov
fmod Member

Applejuiceaj

Forum Moderator Posts: 45,000 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I too am worried about clan recruitment with the RSOF going away.

The clan I help lead has used all available platforms for recruiting over our years of existence - we have our RSOF thread, we post on Looking for Clan posts, we post in the RS Discord server following their guidelines, and are listed on Reddit's clan directory.

Looking through my clan's monthly applicant list (which includes anyone has applied, regardless of whether they were accepted or vanished into thin air before being added to our in-game clan chat), members come overwhelmingly from one place - the RSOF. We get none from Reddit, and a couple from Discord, but the rest are the RSOF.

The other platforms are extremely limited in what they allow - what good is a clan advertisement if you can't tell potential applicants where to go to post an application or learn more about your clan with the RSOF going away? Ingame really isn't an option, directing to a Discord server over in-game PM likely would lead to a Chatwatch mute given RWT sites now utilizing Discord links in spamvertisements.

It just doesn't seem that how people use the forums these days was really researched prior to the announcement of the closure. Its not surprising, but it is worrying. :|

13-Jan-2024 17:04:45

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,047 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't know how active the sections are now but in 2016 OS clan recruitment alone was getting 10K+ posts a week.

IF Old School is more popular now it might be getting more posts? If so how can they say the forums are not used (granted a bump doesn't add much but it still needs a user to post).

I also think a lot of clans just ask people in game, when I was out of a clan for a while a few years I got asked a few times.

13-Jan-2024 17:57:08 - Last edited on 13-Jan-2024 17:58:08 by Wilf

YtHaar-Mej
Dec Member 2005

YtHaar-Mej

Posts: 25,052 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ironman Gup said :
they have like 3 months to find an alternative. Perhaps they can link to other clan related discord channels? :)
Sadly, a lot of clans will only have 2 weeks; not 3 months. Posting will be disabled sooner than the site being removed, and people need to post applications to a number of clans before being allowed to join their private space.

Offsite has been attempted many times in the past, and has always failed. The forums have always succeeded and won over the moves elsewhere.

Once again, another attempt is being done, and people think it'll miraculously work....Same thing over and over expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.
Can I turn in a paper without citing all sources?
"No."[1]
1. William Shakespeare, Hamlet , Act III, Scene 1, line 96.

13-Jan-2024 18:55:00

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,311 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Practically, do you really think new players will go to social media to look for a clan?

Discord or elsewhere, I don't think they will help clans. Effectively, clan recruitments work within the game, not outside the game. And it means the game needs to have established clan systems like Clan Citadel and other meaningful game features that entice new players.

14-Jan-2024 16:47:38

Miu

Miu

Posts: 16,996 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dilbert2001 said :
Practically, do you really think new players will go to social media to look for a clan?

Discord or elsewhere, I don't think they will help clans. Effectively, clan recruitments work within the game, not outside the game. And it means the game needs to have established clan systems like Clan Citadel and other meaningful game features that entice new players.

The subject of this thread is the fact that Jagex's own official discord server possesses a rule in its clan channel allowing links solely to the RS forums. The news post claims that the discord has been preparing for helping the discord find a new home for clan communities, but has not updated its rules, contradicting the post.

There's no point to you spending your last days on the forums if you aren't even going to read the posts you're responding to.
Don't forget – RuneScape members get TWO free spins a day instead of the usual one!

14-Jan-2024 19:02:35

Quick find code: 14-15-482-66293111 Back to Top