Burthorpe Danger

Quick find code: 49-50-286-66236905

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Posts: 27,892 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Burthorpe Danger , an animated story

Welcome to my story!

As you may have noticed, the name is based on the in-game soundtrack 'Burthorpe Danger'!
It portrays the battle of Burthorpe against Death Plateau.

The story is best told through animation, but I've left a rough rundown of the story below which should help give an idea of where I'm going with this!

Knights of Burthorpe are planning a military mission as thunder cracks outside - or that they assume and think no more of it. Suddenly a great blast lights up the room and the furniture and bricks flies all across the space. The trolls at Death Plateau are firing catapults targeted towards the Burthorpe and Taverley towns, loaded with explosives and fiery objects. Knights run to the rooftops and return fire by cannons and arrows. A short while later, Richard wakes up at the hospital wing, comes to his senses and runs outside as he sees flames and debris everywhere around. Right as Richard makes it out of the hospital, a huge troll is about to cut him in half, but right in that moment Eleanor jumps into frame and cuts her sword right through the troll. Later, the stone mage statue on top of Warriors Guild reanimates the other statues on the roof which jumps down into battle. As Richard enters the Burthorpe fortress he notices the head knight lying wounded by the wall. Outside, the battle is finished off by the stone mage who casts a strong spell on the trolls which causes them to turn to dust.

The animated story has been in the works since June this year and is expected complete by the early months of 2022. Unfortunately I've come across many obstacles due to not having enough experience in animation.

Naturally I'll be sharing my progress on the project here, and if you have any questions or feedback you're absolutely welcome to leave them below :)

Most recent stylished image from the story:
Life is like a camera: Just focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot !

24-Nov-2021 23:45:22 - Last edited on 25-Nov-2021 01:30:57 by Corder

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Art direction

The story is inspired by the great VFX breakdown of Olav by Thomas Berg, Lord of the Rings (Battle for Minas Tirith) and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 (Statues & Courtyard Apocalypse).

Olav : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89sx0Kj4SsM
Battle of Hogwarts : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Tkx6AmDe4
Battle for Minas Tirith : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcJwKVAaIWM

The art direction is stylished assets with photo realistic shaders. Most colors are rendered using vertex colors, as that is what RuneScape used as of latest Burthorpe version.

The animation is 25 frames per second at 1920x1080 resolution.

Explosions and FX are still very much experiemental, but my idea is to fracture objects using physics simulations, and as for liquids and smoke I'll be creating particle systems.

Lights will generate volumetric lighting to some extent as it simulates real lights in a dark, foggy environment. Fog will be made of a mix of particles and ZDepth passes. The ZDepth channel is usually used for depth of field in post production, but it can also be multiplied onto the beauty pass to create a sense of fog. From my experiements this should work fine.
Life is like a camera: Just focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot !

24-Nov-2021 23:45:28 - Last edited on 25-Nov-2021 00:36:47 by Corder

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Scenes

Scene 1 shot 1 - meeting at the headquarters

Scene 2 shot 1 - villager running out as she hears and sees explosions

Scene 2 shot 2 - villager scared as she covers her eyes

Scne 3 shot 1 - head of Burthorpe Knights looking down with raised eyebrows as his body starts shaking from a blast that hit the building

Scene 4 shot 1 - trolls pushing out their catapults and some pulling ammunition

Scene 5 shot 1 - trolls firing their catapults

Scene 6 shot 1 - barrel being shot towards a house

24-Nov-2021 23:45:32 - Last edited on 05-Dec-2021 11:57:50 by Corder

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

General Tap said :
Sounds exciting! Good luck and I can't wait to see the finished product! :)
Thanks Tap!! I've updated the thread with some images from the scene, these are all from the blocking out phase lit with a skydome :)

ps. there are some "bugs" that I've yet to take care of lol

Corder said :
Scenes

Scene 1 shot 1 - meeting at the headquarters

Scene 2 shot 1 - villager running out as she hears and sees explosions

Scene 2 shot 2 - villager scared as she covers her eyes

Scne 3 shot 1 - head of Burthorpe Knights looking down with raised eyebrows as his body starts shaking from a blast that hit the building

Scene 4 shot 1 - trolls pushing out their catapults and some pulling ammunition

Scene 5 shot 1 - trolls firing their catapults

Scene 6 shot 1 - barrel being shot towards a house

05-Dec-2021 11:59:39

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

A bit more media from the project-
Original message details are unavailable.
Hi all :D

Created a pretty cool fire sim and thought to share it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWBphQDUK2o

Particle emitter

In game

Working on a RuneScape animation since June. Been getting my feeet wet in a new tool I've got on Black Friday. Amazing how much detail you can get out of a single cube emitter!

05-Dec-2021 12:01:28

Van Berick

Van Berick

Posts: 1,600 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This is very interesting to see the screenshots of the current development. I've always wanted to do an animation to tell a story I created. For you'r animations are you re-modeling Burthrope to then animate it? I've always wanted to do something similar but the amount of scenes I'd have to make would be daunting. I'm in the planning phases of getting my story into a presentable format and think I may go for drawn images like the newer quests than doing a full on animation.

08-Dec-2021 20:22:52 - Last edited on 08-Dec-2021 20:23:28 by Van Berick

Quick find code: 49-50-286-66236905 Back to Top