Forums

Mobile only player feedback

Quick find code: 429-430-847-66178833

Rob Mobile
Dec Member 2018

Rob Mobile

Posts: 30 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've been searching for a high quality mobile game to play for years. When I heard about old school RuneScape and the mobile application I got very excited because I used to play a lot as a teenager. I reached 350m exp back in the day when exp was difficult to get. I was one of the players that stopped playing because the exp rates in the game continued to get easier and it devalued my past investments. It's fun to be back and I love the flexibility of mobile as an adult.

I have only ever played old-school from mobile. I am also a HCIM - for the added challange!

I have never played on a computer or tablet. My total level so far is 1,483 with a total exp over 44m - I have one 99 which is Thieving.

I thought it would be nice to share my thoughts on the mobile-only experience.

In terms of game content - I will not discuss that here. As long as the focus is on fun, unique and interesting gameplay and not constantly making exp faster and faster to get then I will generally be supportive of new content!

There are many things which are fantastic about the mobile experience - I will not list them here but I would just like to say thank you for the amazing work and keep it up.

Suggestions which I think would improve the mobile experience:
- I sometimes miss the circle buttons around the mini map. Mostly while prayer-flicking. It would be great if they were slightly larger.
- The "function" button is very slow to activate so I rarely use it and often go for the "long-touch and drag" method for NPCs due to this. I also wish it was under the minimap so it was close to my right thumb and backpack.
- I wish I could see which world I was logged into without needing to select the "World Switcher" button
- Reporting a player is risky because the options are very small for fingers on a mobile. I would feel more comfortable reporting players if there was a "confirm" or "submit" button so that I can correct a miss-click

03-Sep-2020 21:40:33 - Last edited on 03-Sep-2020 22:00:21 by Rob Mobile

Rob Mobile
Dec Member 2018

Rob Mobile

Continued:

- Chatting on mobile is very difficult because the IOS keyboard takes half the screen. It isn't a very efficient use of space and contains features such as auto-correct, voice-recording and emojis that I don't need. In fact auto-correct keeps causing issues. I wish there was an option to use a RuneScape keybboard - that you have made. It can take far less space and not cover the backpack. This would be very difficult to get right but the end result could be amazing and really make mobile more accessible - I think this is one of the biggest issues that might put people off playing today.
- When searching my bank, IOS adds a space after my search so it doesn't work. Could you trim the search query to solve this?
- Responding to private messages is annoying because it covers the chat box. I wish I could reply to friends in the text-box without covering the chat box. I think you could come up with a solution here to make this possible.
- Bank value! I never used runelight or any client because I believe many of the features are too cheaty but I wish I could see bank value. Even if it only updates once a day with a time of value that would be enough!
- Sometimes I accidentally select the take X option in the bank - so I cancel or set to zero to close the keyboard because it gets in the way. When I do this I lose my previous "X" quantity which is annoying - I wish it kept the quantity unless I select a non-zero number.
- Mobile-only recognition. Anything! in-game item, something unique on the display name - doesn't need to be as grand as a high scores but it would be great to show off the risk you've made - especially as a HCIM mobile-only.
- Spells that I do not have the runes for are very hard to see - if I want to determine which runes I need for a teleport spell using the info toggle it's difficult to know which one is which. If the design could be improved so that icons I don't have runes to use are still somehow readable that would be amazing.

03-Sep-2020 21:40:46 - Last edited on 03-Sep-2020 22:35:20 by Rob Mobile

Rob Mobile
Dec Member 2018

Rob Mobile

Continued:

- When I level a skill I really like to read the message and see what things I have unlocked - but when clicking on something or during combat it goes away. I don't see a need for this. It should stay up until I click continue no matter what I do.
- There are also some messages that do this already - they don't close until you click to continue; but these prevent you from doing anything. One example is when I return to the docks from Minnow fishing - I can't fish on that platform without clicking to continue and it is a little annoying. I think these types of messages, as well as level up messages - should stay covering the chat box but NOT stop me from doing other things. I don't think covering the chat-box until I say I have finished reading is a problem.
- Logging out - just FYI, the HCIM highscores update right away but the general highscores have a much longer delay to it. I don't think this is a problem but thought i'd share in case it's not by design.

I hope these suggestions are somewhat helpful or insightful. If I think of anything else I will update here. :)

Thanks!

03-Sep-2020 21:41:00 - Last edited on 03-Sep-2020 22:35:49 by Rob Mobile

Rob Mobile
Dec Member 2018

Rob Mobile

I also wish that when I open a tab on the left it didn't close the tab on the right! Why does it do this? Why can't I see clan chat, friends list, prayers, magic spells etc while having by back-pack open at the same time? I find this really annoying at times.

Maybe this can be one of the options in the "advanced options" section of the mobile settings? That would be great!

05-Sep-2020 14:32:29

Rob Mobile
Dec Member 2018

Rob Mobile

Another thought - the EXP tracker that shows on mobile doesn't include a percentage. If you tap on the exp progress bar you do see a percentage but this doesn't automatically update when you gain more exp and it doesn't stay visible.

It would be much better for me if instead of showing a yellow "tool-tip" on tap it changed the existing design on tap to include more information - which remains showing and constantly updates. So in other words: tapping switches between a "breif" design and a more "detailed" design that contains the information you currently see on tap.

It would be cool to train while seeing my percentage value go up and my remaining exp to go down. :)

09-Sep-2020 09:01:13

Alchimia

Alchimia

Posts: 2 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The new mobile settings tweak makes farm runs and just dropping items in general twice as long. Why is there a constant need to just keep doing these little “fixes” the tap to drop option needs to be prominently displayed to mobile players. I’m a 100% mobile player (iPad Pro). Dont make me go through hell.. make tap to drop easy again..! Stupid.. mobile plays dont need that extensive new system.. the minute I have to search to toggle tap to drop... is the moment you’re giving me too many settings to adjust. Just.. stop it’s annoying. It was literally PERFECT before.. if I’m the only one then screw it but no mobile player needs all that... Alchimia

02-Dec-2020 18:21:39 - Last edited on 02-Dec-2020 18:24:09 by Alchimia

Alchimia

Alchimia

The new mobile settings tweak makes farm runs and just dropping items in general twice as long. Why is there a constant need to just keep doing these little “fixes” the tap to drop option needs to be prominently displayed to mobile players. I’m a 100% mobile player (iPad Pro). Dont make me go through hell.. make tap to drop easy again..! Stupid.. mobile plays dont need that extensive new system.. the minute I have to search to toggle tap to drop... is the moment you’re giving me too many settings to adjust. Just.. stop it’s annoying. Alchimia

02-Dec-2020 18:21:42

DrmngKitsune
Oct Member 2022

DrmngKitsune

Posts: 7 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mobile player here as well, another advanced option I would like to see is adding the option to make the “use” option the first choice like on things such as food. Spent hours making about 12k anchovy pizzas and you can imagine on mobile how much having to hold for options adds up at large amounts. You also run the risk of accidentally eating ingredients which could screw your profit if that happens a lot. I know there is an option to always long click, but that is also slow and annoying when pulling from the bank. This isn’t a terrible issue, but one that’d bring some quality of life to mobile platforms since we don’t have a mouse.

12-Jan-2021 03:00:04

iTz Sobeit

iTz Sobeit

Posts: 7 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
One of the biggest disadvantages I face playing osrs mobile, although I mainly pk on mobile, is the buttons being to small. If there was just a simple option to choose the size of the general tabs that are available, not so much the items or spells but the tabs that you click to go into those boxes. I know its small as it is but the option should at least be there and it seems there's plenty of room for it. Just a thought

12-Jan-2021 03:22:27

L0rd Finesse
Feb Member 2024

L0rd Finesse

Mobile only here, don't have a PC so everything I've done has been on my handset, all things considered I think the port to mobile is great, there's a few clunky things and pvp is pretty handicapped compared to PC players that have key binds etc.

But I don't feel I'm really that limited I got my quest cape two weeks ago, got my fire cape, avas etc. So the potential for mobile is pretty high would love to see jagex make mobile only worlds especially pvp ones would be great.
The mobile only OSRS prodigy

22-Jan-2021 19:57:14

Quick find code: 429-430-847-66178833 Back to Top