Forums

Outstanding balance, hacked?

Quick find code: 410-411-191-66282096

St Scourge
Sep Member 2023

St Scourge

Posts: 7 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So after years of playing i got my GF to try OSRS with me, she tried logging in today after not playing in a few weeks and she now has an authenticator she didn't set up, she has an "outstanding balance" that needs clearing. We can't even see what the outstanding balance is because we can't log into the account due to this authenticator. All the recovery emails aren't showing up. The only thing that makes sense is that Jagex has allowed the account to be recovered? They don't have access to the email as it's 2FA and the only other way of changing it is through recovery.

I'm hearing horror stories about this, she's got a bank PIN but that's no use if we can't log in to stop it, 2FA on the account is being used as a weapon here. Is there any way i can help her get the account back? She just wants to quit and never play again which is such a shame as she was really getting into the game.

The sods haven't even changed the accounts password lol, it's just the authenticator stopping her.
Her IGN is TamerSting

18-Jun-2023 21:19:35 - Last edited on 18-Jun-2023 21:20:11 by St Scourge

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,030 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi there
St Scourge

She should be able to disable the hijackers Auth if she still has access to the registered email.
Instructions: Disable authenticator

If she doesn't have access to the registered email, she will need to submit a recovery request (link on that page).

If Jagex emails aren't showing up, work through the points on the Not receiving emails support page.

If the hijacker has not changed the password, it usually means they don't have access to the registered email and have discovered the login/password to the account some other way.

Them setting up Auth is just a delaying tactic, to stop the account owner from being able to log in straight away.
"2FA on the account is being used as a weapon here"
You are right. But why didn't your GF weaponise her account security first? If the hijacker does not have access to the registered email, Authenticator already set up would have kept them out of the account!

Next: the Unpaid Balance
Once she has recovered full access to her account, she should message Billing Support to get the account checked.
The support page with contact point is: Unpaid balance
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

19-Jun-2023 00:09:49 - Last edited on 19-Jun-2023 00:11:35 by Malua

TamerSting
Jun Member 2023

TamerSting

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
UPDATE
We got the account back, the email hadn't been changed, it's just that the emails didn't come through until today. She's a straight up noob that's why she doesn't have 2FA. i've recovered the account for her and set her up a real 2FA.
The store had bonds in it's basket with £112 outstanding and the store had 2 cards saved as payment methods that we do not recognise. It even has the name of the people who's cards this is! I can't seem to find any transaction history. It could be that only one of these two people have noticed.
I've reported all this and hopefully jagex has some way of letting these people know their cards have been compromised.

19-Jun-2023 10:31:24

St Scourge
Sep Member 2023

St Scourge

Posts: 7 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
UPDATE 2
We have the account back, bank cleared of most things, GE history says the account had sold 20 bonds, nothing else. So the stolen stuff must have been traded off to another account. They didn't steal any member items as she was f2p at the time, suppose they didn't think it was worth using a bond to steal her mystics! She's just happy she still has her mithril legs, rune chain and trimmed rune scimmy. They left all her f2p noob armour on her and didn't steal all her runes.
Good job jagex, you resolved this very quickly! I hope you get the sods and ban the crap outta them. A lesson learnt the hard way for my noob.

19-Jun-2023 11:33:09

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,030 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Congratulations on getting the account back. :)

It is quite possible that the cards used were stolen.

Also, Jagex has already returned the money to the card owners, this is why the account was frozen with an unpaid balance....because Bonds were purchased and paid for but the money was claimed back.
The hijacker would have straight away transferred the Bonds off the account or sold them and transferred the gp. Jagex can track this pretty easily and they will go after the hijacker.
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

19-Jun-2023 11:49:14 - Last edited on 19-Jun-2023 11:50:58 by Malua

Quick find code: 410-411-191-66282096 Back to Top