Hacked with authenticator +pin Thread is locked

Quick find code: 408-409-871-66290268

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,113 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi there
Master99

It sounds like you have checked everything pretty thoroughly.
The 'Manage' term on the Steam and Amazon links is standard. You have to click on the button and go further to check whether there is a link there.

So, your password was still the same and I assume your Authenticator is still active and your Bank PIN also.
If these are all in place the things to suspect are:
1. the hijacker has set up a linked third party login. (third party logins bypass all the Jagex security)
2. your computer has malware
3. someone knows you very well and has physical access to your Auth code generator

Do you have a Steam account? There was a security flaw a few months ago. I don't know the exact details but Jagex shut down new Steam account linkups for a while. It is possible your hijacker used the Steam security flaw to gain access to your RS account.
Point #2 is less probable if you have been inactive on your RuneScape account for months. It does rely on a victim being active in the game.
Point #3 is the least probable though it should not be completely excluded.

The most common reason for this hijack MO is an insecure third party account (Steam, Facebook, Google etc.) coupled with multiple use of the same logins/passwords.
While it might be difficult to set a new login (as many websites just ask for your email as the login), you should always set a different password to each web login.

Consider upgrading your RuneScape accounts into the new Jagex Account. The security protocol is much stronger.
Information: Upgrade your RuneScape character to Jagex account
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

12-Nov-2023 21:06:55

Master99
Oct Member 2023

Master99

Posts: 6 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello. My auth was active and i had same password, However my bankpin was disabled and i was at ferox enclave stripped off everything upon login.

I have never used the link account features. I have had a steam account but it was never linked to my rs acc. 3 is impossible in my case. Also 2 is highly improbable as my pc i use for rs is turned off always, and i rarely use it. As to 1, i dont know, How would this work? And How is it allowed to bypass all Security?

12-Nov-2023 21:52:45

Master99
Oct Member 2023

Master99

Posts: 6 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Is it possible for this to be investigated further by a staff member at jagex? Because I cannot understand how this is possible when I took all the security measures, always being aware and careful of suspicious links in mail and fake mails and so on. I am literally afraid that if this is possible to happen with all these security measures then my real email could be hacked the same way as I have 2fa there too. I was 100% sure that I would never get hacked on OSRS with all these security measures. Being hacked even though all of this just makes me feel disbelief and I’m just shocked honestly. This is the biggest mystery ever for me. That’s why I think it may be worth to investigate this further by jagex, to at least prevent this in the future for other players.

12-Nov-2023 22:03:51

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

"As to 1, i dont know, How would this work?"

I can't answer that. I don't have a Steam account and never fully understood what the security flaw involved.

"How is it allowed to bypass all Security?"

When a third party linked account is used to login, the security in force is whatever security the third party website have in place for their account holders.
Forum Community Helper -

12-Nov-2023 22:06:12

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

"Is it possible for this to be investigated further by a staff member at jagex?"

You can email about the hijack to: [email protected]
They WILL investigate and try to track your hijacker back to their personal account as the 'Account Hijacking' offence is a bannable (and unappealable) offence.

However, Jagex might be just as much in the dark as you about the cause.
If your account was not locked it means the hijacker got in without alerting Jagex' hijacker detection system.
If a hijacker is clever enough they can mask their access as being the owners own login.

Jagex' main priority in all this is to track and punish the hijacker. They track through the movement of account wealth and where the gp ends up.
The amount of assistance they can provide to individuals is restricted to what's available in the Support Centre.
Forum Community Helper -

12-Nov-2023 22:32:27

Aug Death

Aug Death

Posts: 1,804 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Same thing just happened to me. Took all the prevention efforts you did and 100% sure nothing is compromised or have malware. I also logged into Enclave with nothing on.

I also don't have any accounts linked so it's not Steam.

14-Nov-2023 15:55:09

EN0UGHBR0

EN0UGHBR0

Posts: 3 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Just logged in and the same thing happened to me. This is honestly ridiculous and now I have lost all of my Gold and expensive items. Jagex won’t do anything about it though it’s been this way for years. Hackers never get served justice and we never get our stolen stuff back. Seems like it’s an inside job to me honestly.

15-Dec-2023 16:55:35

Quick find code: 408-409-871-66290268 Back to Top