Forums

Question on Jagex Accounts

Quick find code: 408-409-526-66282787

Lygushkia
Jul Member 2023

Lygushkia

Posts: 131 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My account is very old and I still use my original username to login. That is very important to me. If I upgrade to a Jagex account will I lose that? They say it'll be mandatory in the future. I'd like some input from a mod. Will I still be able to use the login I've used for 10+ years? Or I eventually be finally forced to use a dang email address? I'm interested in the service but not if it takes away a major part of the game for me, the nostalgia of logging in in with the same username I had when I was 10.

29-Jun-2023 13:43:05

Ms Toxicity
Jul
fmod Member

Ms Toxicity

Forum Moderator Posts: 78,487 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Because you are seeking account help, your thread has relocated to this forum.

As mentioned above, if you do choose to upgrade to a Jagex Account, you will be unable to log in with your user name. For more information, I recommend this article in the Support Centre.

Upgrade your RuneScape character
Forum Help

29-Jun-2023 14:12:36 - Last edited on 29-Jun-2023 14:13:17 by Ms Toxicity

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 23,025 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello Lygushkia, I have several links for you from '
Jagex's Support Centre
' ...

Jagex Accounts ... <- (link) to the index page about Jagex Accounts.
https://help.jagex.com/hc/en-gb/categories/4403516390801-Jagex-Accounts

Character or game questions ... <- (link) about the difference between both.
https://help.jagex.com/hc/en-gb/articles/13081481196945-Character-or-game-questions

(sorry but some links do not work the way I am used to)

29-Jun-2023 14:16:11 - Last edited on 29-Jun-2023 14:19:29 by 2_Tron

Lygushkia
Jul Member 2023

Lygushkia

This is extremely unfortunate to hear then. I hope migrating to a jagex account does not become mandatory in the future. If the day comes and I am no longer able to log in with my original username that I've had for over a decade, as a main with no alts, and have spent hundreds of usd on cosmetics alone, I'd be devastated. It would be a final nail in the coffin of my favorite game that finally grew too big, too greedy, and died. Most childhood games can be took of the shelf and played even 50 years later, not RS, obviously because it's an mmo and changes with time. Jagex realized this once and made "Old school Runescape", I feel they should do something like this again but a single player offline Ironman sort of reboot I can buy and play on pc or android or switch. Maybe have local multiplayer. Just that base 2007 version of the game I can enjoy in peace and have a nostalgic time with, without anything new, normal usernames and those sweet polygonal graphics.

29-Jun-2023 20:19:59

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,113 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lygushkia
, many of us have beloved usernames that we use or once used to log in with. The problem is, they were a security problem. Anyone who accessed a cached file of game stats could discover those names and then start to cause malicious problems for the account owner by spam logging the name to block game access. It was a significant problem for veteran players. Maybe you didn't experience it and, if so, you were lucky.

The new Jagex Account login system has jumped account security twenty years forward, into the 2020's. Yes, this isn't a problem experienced by fifty year old board games or even 25 year old Playstation games. It is a modern problem. A current society problem. It cannot be ignored if RuneScape is to survive.

"It would be a final nail in the coffin of my favorite game that finally grew too big, too greedy, and died."

RuneScape is dead? I didn't know.
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

29-Jun-2023 23:38:05 - Last edited on 29-Jun-2023 23:44:04 by Malua

Lygushkia
Jul Member 2023

Lygushkia

In my opinion yeah it is kinda dying. Rs3 barly has a playerbase it feels, probably because most switched to osrs. Slowly over time 99s are simply easier to get, removing the accomplishment it used to be. Forestry made one of the most afk skills in the game a click fest, people like the roots as do I, but mulching is terrible and I noticed the only players excited about the xp are new to the game. So it's starting to happen in osrs too. I'm not saying I never want the game to change ever, I'm excited for sailing I think it's a good idea! Don't give us easy 99s and xp, give us actual new skills, new mechanics in current skills without messing with the xp curve, or even just qol stuff for the client. (Imagine my surprise seeing runelite in the jagex launcher) I have been asking around and most people would be down to try a bare bones offline 2007scape. Because 10 years later it's once again not the same game we wanted, close, but different. I think it'd sell well and people that don't like the slow xp or being alone would switch to the online version and probably get membership too. Or he'll just start doing private servers that you have to make a new character for and try to recreate 2005/2006 assets to sell us. I guarantee people would pay monthly for that. Maybe like minecraft with their 10 person limit or something. Really Jagex it's something you should consider, old farts like me would praise you for it and it'd definitely reinvigorate our passion.

01-Jul-2023 22:06:29

Quick find code: 408-409-526-66282787 Back to Top