Forums

Email address change issue

Quick find code: 408-409-525-66276877

Lora Huxley
Sep Member 2007

Lora Huxley

Posts: 35 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I want to change the email address on my account. My current registered email address is one that I can still receive email on (but can no longer send) and I don't know how much longer I will have access to it due to a change in internet provider. I requested an email change, received the Jagex email on my old email address, clicked the link, entered my new email address, get notified an email has been sent to that in which I have to click a link to finish the change. However, I am not receiving that email on my new email address so I can't click the link to finish this process. I have tried several times, i.e. cancelling the request and redoing it, to no avail.

- I don't use my email address to log in, I have access to my account by logging in via my runescape name
- my new email address is a gmail address
- I have double, triple, quadruple checked I have not made typing errors
- I have no filters set up on the gmail email address
- the email does not arrive, not in inbox, nor in spam folder
- I have added the official Jagex email addresses (that you receive email from when you request an email change or password change) to my google contacts and did a cancel request (for the email change)/ go through the entire thing again, made no difference.

Most help threads are focused on what to do when you no longer have access to your registered email (whereas I still have access) and I have done what I can following the tips that Jagex lists in their 'not receiving emails' support article.

I really don't want to go the account recovery route if I can help it (why should I, I have access to both email addresses) and am wondering what else I could do? Is there a way for me to contact Jagex by other means than via the account recovery process? I saw a chat option on the website somewhere that I haven't tried yet, would that be my next step?

20-Mar-2023 06:19:21

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,113 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi there
Lora Huxley

The chat option on the website is a chatbot. All it does is direct you to the relevant support page to do self-help. :(

If you are trying to change to a Gmail and you have worked through all the points on the Not receiving emails support page, then you would have to suspect that your current email isn't actually responding to your "verify" click.
Even though you get the message that an email has been sent, that message might be automatically generated by your click, rather than by an actual response from the Jagex website (interesting thought!)

I recommend trying each day for a few days. One day, it might go through properly.
If you just can't get an email to confirm the change to the new registered email your last resort would be to do a 'recovery' on your account even though you are reluctant to do so.
As you have game access, login and talk to Hans in Lumbridge. Hans will tell you exactly how old your account is and you will be able to calculate the month/year of creation.
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

20-Mar-2023 07:22:08

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 23,025 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The fastest way to check if your 'old-emailaddress' is still receiving emails is to send an email from your new emailaddress to your old emailaddress.
If that is OK than maybe there was another emailaddress attached to your account without your knowledge, or forgotten about, where the message from Jagex/JMods is send to.

20-Mar-2023 08:28:09

Lora Huxley
Sep Member 2007

Lora Huxley

Thanks everyone. I am still receiving email on my registered (old) email (I just can't send any email from the address anymore). I have clicked the link in that email that takes you to a dedicated page on the runescape website where you enter your new email address twice and click continue/proceed (I forget what the button says) and then it displays there and then that an email has been sent to the new address. However, the email never arrives on the new email address. So I don't think what any of you are describing is applicable in my case. As for the chatbot, if it's a bot, then why does it state you can chat with them between certain times? That makes no sense and I had hoped that in between those times, an actual person would be manning the chat. I haven't tried that yet though. I'm going to cancel the current request and then will try again but I have already tried 3 or 4 times to no avail.

20-Mar-2023 12:07:15

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 9,010 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey, Lora Huxley.

I highly recommend that you try to recover your account in order to force a change on that inaccessible registered email address, as Malua mentioned above. Since you have access to your account, head to Lumbridge to speak with Hans. He will tell you exactly how old your account is and this piece of important information may be utilized during the account recovery process.

Head to Change registered email and click on the blue "
Recover Account
" link. You should then click on the "
contact Jagex support
" shown on the screen after the link has been sent. I have added a screenshot for visualization:

Once you click on that, you will be shown the image below. Enter the NEW registered email address that will replaced the old, inaccessible one. As mentioned above, please try to use a Google Mail account. This is where you will receive your response to the account recovery request:

Keep scrolling down to fill out the information/details that are being asked of you.

20-Mar-2023 18:17:41

Lora Huxley
Sep Member 2007

Lora Huxley

Hm. I just typed an elaborate reply but now I can't see it; so apologies if I now end up 'double replying'.

The problem has been resolved! Instead of clicking the button in the email that I get in on my old email address, which takes you to the RS website where I put in my new email address etc. which always resulted in me not getting any email; I copied and paste the URL that Jagex also provides, went from there and now I did get an email in on my new email address! So, clicked the link in that to confirm and my gmail address is now my registered email address on my account.

Super glad I tried that before doing account recovery. Wasn't sure that would make any difference but it did!

23-Mar-2023 17:25:06

Quick find code: 408-409-525-66276877 Back to Top