Forums

My old account has been hacked

Quick find code: 408-409-498-66290234

Suck Mouth

Suck Mouth

Posts: 16 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The registeted email for my old account has been changed! I have an email from 2021 on that account saying what email address it has been changed to and i do not recognise it. Ive looked at account recovery and its not helpful.

Please can someone help me get my account back? :(

11-Nov-2023 21:09:22

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,113 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi there
Suck Mouth

I strongly suspect that 2021 email you have is a phishing email. I hope you did not respond to it at that time. Responding meant clicking the 'cancel' button in the email.

If you have lost access to the account and no longer control its registered email, you will need to do a recovery to regain control.
Start on the Change registered email support page and follow the instructions under 'If you don't have access to the registered email'.

Why are you finding account recovery not helpful? Are you struggling to remember information about the account? Have you tried to submit a recovery?
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

11-Nov-2023 21:42:43

Suck Mouth

Suck Mouth

Posts: 16 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't know if i fell for the phishing at the time but regardless, it appears that any of my attempt to reset the password don't come through to my email,leading me to believe that someone has changed the registered email. I made a jagex account today with that email and the RSN of the hacked acvount was automatically set as the username of the jagex account. Despite this, the account is not linked and i cannot play it.

I have access to the accounts login email (creation email) as it is my childhood email address. However the registered email has been changed. Despite entering as much info as i could remember, attempts were instantly denied. I have submitted a recovery to no avail. Please help.

11-Nov-2023 23:23:28

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,113 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
An instant deny is a bad sign. :(
It means there is something very wrong with the recovery information you have submitted.
For example:
* the login was incorrect
* no correct old passwords were submitted
* you were recovering from the wrong country (not the country where the account was created)
* you were using a VPN (don't use a VPN during account recovery)
* The login was correct but the account information submitted was very weak or mostly left missing off the form

Are you certain an email is the login?
If the account is very old (pre November 2010), its login will be a username, not an email.

It is certain that your email was accessed by the hijacker.
Either they changed your accounts registered email or else they fiddled with your email settings to stop you from receiving Jagex emails.
You could try the troubleshooting points on the Not receiving emails support page, then try a password reset request again.
If you still don't get a password reset email, you will have to continue trying account recovery.
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

12-Nov-2023 03:06:08

Quick find code: 408-409-498-66290234 Back to Top