Forums

Account keeps getting locked

Quick find code: 408-409-480-66277262

Chiyep
Aug Member 2022

Chiyep

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Posting on my other account because the other one is locked..

Last night I got a few password reset requests. Eventually, I stopped receiving emails. Somehow my registered email was unlinked. My password still worked, but it wanted me to appeal. Luckily, the password reset email changed the password, and I was able to log back in.

I changed the email to a completely new email, changed the password, made sure everything else was unlinked, went to bed happy. The account has had an authenticator, bank pin, 2FA etc for a few years now.

This morning, I find that the account is locked again. Password still the same. Someone keeps getting me locked out. I have no idea what to do right now. It's not letting me reset again, the new registered email isn't receiving emails anymore, and the original creation email is old as dirt (childhood email) and I can't access it..

What can I do? Do I have to go through the recovery process...? The password is still the same.. it just keeps getting locked..

27-Mar-2023 18:28:33 - Last edited on 27-Mar-2023 19:29:02 by Chiyep

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 23,025 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Visit the next page Security tips ... <- (link) ... in '
Jagex's Support Centre
' and go through that page before you contact them to make sure you have everything done to rpotect your account.

Visit the link on said page where it says (top of page)
Take action to keep your account out of the wrong hands. If your account is currently hijacked,
recover it here
... and click on that link to recover your account with help from Jagex/JMods.

27-Mar-2023 21:26:06

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 23,025 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
... and the original creation email is old as dirt (childhood email) and I can't access it...
That's where your problem lies, someone else in control of that account/email still having ties with your RuneScape account.

27-Mar-2023 21:27:36

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 9,010 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey, Chiyep.

First of all, have you scanned your computer for possible malware/viruses/keyloggers/trojans? I didn't see any mention of this on your post so I just want to make sure that we tackle that. If you haven't done so, it's highly and urgently recommended to do so as soon as possible because this may be the reason why the hijacker keeps trying to get access to the account but Jagex is stopping it by locking it.

An account gets locked when a suspicious login with the correct password is detected. Even though you keep changing the password, the hijacker knows it. This means that there is a flaw in your security settings and you can start by checking your computer, as mentioned above.

Once you are done, ensure that you change everything again, i.e., your registered email address (use a Google Mail account); your RuneScape password; and remove the "remember me for 30 days" option from the Authenticator if you have this enabled. I know you said that there are no linked accounts, but if you want to check that again, here are the instructions on how to do so, even with screenshots added for visualization:

How To: Unlinking Unrecognized/Unwanted Linked Accounts

All of these suggestions and tips may be found in the link that 2_Tron shared above: Security tips . If nothing is found when the scans are completed, then it'd be ideal to consider employing a factory reset on your computer as that would remove anything that may have been missed by those scans.

28-Mar-2023 15:25:41

Quick find code: 408-409-480-66277262 Back to Top