Forums

Banned Account [Info] Thread is locked Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 408-409-479-66034999

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,113 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If you have tried logging in to the game only to find you can't because your account has been banned, the following information is for you.

How do I check what has happened?

Details will be provided in there about the offence and whether the ban is a temporary or permanent ban.

But there is no evidence!

Jagex may or may not show evidence to you.
This could be because they assume that you already know what you did wrong.
It could also be because they don't want you to find out exactly how they found out.
Jagex will not provide evidence in certain cases e.g. where a macro script writer could use the information to improve their macro script to make it 'undetectable'.

But it wasn't me/I was hijacked!

If you know you did not commit the offence, Jagex provide an opportunity to appeal.

The APPEAL SYSTEM

Head over to the Account Bans support page to read about what offences can and cannot be appealed.
The Appeal a Ban button is also on that page.

Temporary Bans

Temporary bans usually last for 48 hours.
There is no point appealing against a temporary ban as the account is usually back in the game before the appeal can be checked.

Permanent Bans

Head over to the Account Bans support page and read it for more detailed information about permanent bans.
Some offences cannot be appealed, they have been listed in the dot point list on that page.
If your offence is not on that list, you are welcome to submit an appeal via the 'Appeal a Ban' button at the bottom of the page.
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

11-Aug-2018 00:01:26 - Last edited on 11-Aug-2018 13:44:07 by Malua

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Appeal a Ban

The Appeal a Ban button takes you to a form which asks for only three pieces of information.
* the login
* the in-game Display name
* a current contact email for you

But I didn't get a chance to explain!

All the information Jagex need is already contained in the digital record of game-play including whether the account owner or a hijacker was using the account at the time of the offence.
A judgement on the offence and punishment is made after looking at the facts of what happened. The context or backstory of why the offence might have been committed is not taken into consideration.

My account was hijacked and the hijacker committed the offence!

When examining the rule breaking on your account, the JMod will also check for hijacker activity.
If hijacker activity is detected at the time of the offence the account will not be banned, however the JMod may lock your account if they feel the account is still insecure.
If you find your account has been locked, you will need to unlock it by following the instructions on the My account is locked information page.

My account was banned by mistake/there was no offence committed at all!

All bans get a follow up check within 24-48 hours after the ban has been placed.
The follow up check is done by a second JMod, just to check that the previous JMod made the right call.
If the account has been banned by mistake, it will be picked up at this point and the ban removed (no appeal necessary).
If you find your account remains banned beyond the 48 hour mark, it means there was no mistake, an offence was committed on your account.
Forum Community Helper -

11-Aug-2018 00:02:01 - Last edited on 11-Aug-2018 13:10:14 by Malua

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

How long do I have to wait for a reply to my appeal?

Appeals can take up to 14 days to be replied to but typically it is much sooner.

How will they contact me?

The reply will be both emailed to the contact email you provided in the appeal and left as a message in the 'Messages' tab of the affected account.

I appealed but was denied!

Unfortunately this means the of the road for your banned account.
Each ban gets just one appeal chance.
Jagex need to see clearly that you were not in control of your account at the time of the offence.
If you honestly believe you did not commit the offence, you need to consider that your computer is not secure. The Security Software support page has links to scanning software you can use to check your computer.

I appealed and I've had a message saying they can't find a banned account!

This means that the information you provided on the form doesn't link to a banned account, this is usually due to a mistake in the log in information provided. Log in information never changes, when you submit an appeal make sure that the log in you provide on the form is the exact text you would type to log into the banned account.

I have waited 14 days and there has been no response to my appeal!

No response at all could be for one of several reasons:
* the ban has already been appealed and a response has been sent
* typo in the contact email provided on the form
* the response from Jagex has gone to a filter in your email mailbox settings (such as 'junk mail') - check the message centre of the banned account which should also have a response

OK, I admit I committed the offence. Can I please get the ban removed? I promise I will never break the rules again.

The Appeal System is primarily aimed at removing hijacker caused bans from accounts.
If you did commit the offence you will have to accept the ban.

My account was banned and an appeal submitted years ago. The appeal was never replied to. Can I submit another appeal now?

Yes, as long as you are not appealing about one of the 'unappealable' offences.
All old appeals (pre 2015) have been deleted and Jagex is allowing owners of accounts that were banned years ago to submit an appeal to get a second appeal chance.
Forum Community Helper -

11-Aug-2018 00:02:38 - Last edited on 05-Apr-2019 08:32:49 by Mod Dare

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

This isn't fair. My appeal was denied and I can't contact Jagex to discuss it!

By the time your account appeal has been decided on, the account has been looked at by at least three JMods.
Jagex don't give players the opportunity for further appeals/contact/discussion because the fourth, fifth and sixth JMods are going to see exactly the same information the first, second and third JMods saw.
At the end of the day, the account owner is responsible for all activity on their account, both their own and those of a hijacker.

Most problems can be avoided by ensuring the account is secure and by re-reading the Rules of Runescape from time to time.
Securing your computer and account
Rules of Runescape

I appealed and received a reply to say the ban has been removed, but my account is still banned!

Re-read the reply carefully then check that the same reply has been left in the 'Messages' tab of the banned account here on the website.
If you cannot see the same message in the 'Messages' tab, it means you did not appeal the right account.
Appeal replies are addressed to the Display name of the account. When you log into your banned account here on the website, it should be showing the same Display name.

Check that the Display name matches with your email reply.
If the Display name matches, you will need to post a thread here in the Account Help forum to request assistance as the affected account will need to be flagged for a JMod. Make sure you include the Display name of the affected account in your thread.
Forum Community Helper -

11-Aug-2018 00:03:13

Quick find code: 408-409-479-66034999 Back to Top