Forums

Account randomly hijacked

Quick find code: 408-409-333-66288451

W1ld Sp1r1t
Feb Member 2024

W1ld Sp1r1t

Posts: 4,240 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't really play the game any more and I noticed in an email my membership is about to expire. I'm like that's odd I haven't played in over 200 days.. So just for fun I checked my account out and not very surprising alot of items were gone. Since its literally happened to every single person I have played with over the years. Someone was able to get into my account and sell majority of the items and of course most the gold was gone. But I found it odd alot of items were still there and a very small amount of gold as well.

So my question would be how is this possible? My password was never changed and I only have this account logged into 1 spot and I carry it with me. It's very unlikely for some one to actually figure my password out. I haven't changed phones since the last time I logged in.

I haven't checked my R3 but I'm sure it's been hit as well but it's not worth the download to find out.

09-Oct-2023 01:34:03

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,113 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi there
W1ld Sp1r1t

The password not being changed is significant.
It means the hijacker did not need access to your email to find out your login information.

Do you have a shortcut login linked account? e.g. Google, Facebook, Steam
If you do, it is very possible they gained access to your RuneScape account through the linked account. I recommend you check the 'Linked Accounts' tab in account management and unlink any account you see linked (including your own). Click on 'Manage Steam' to check for a linked Steam account.

I also recommend you scan the device you use to login and play through (computer/phone) to check if there is any malware.

If your device is clear and you had no linked accounts, the only other possibility is that you were phished! This would be difficult if you are not a regular RS player. A phishing attempt would raise a red flag to you.

If you discount ALL the above possibilities, then I would go back to the insecure device as the most likely.

It isn't a given that a RuneScape account gets hijacked. Plenty of players keep their accounts secure for the whole time they play the game.
Please work through the instructions on the Security tips support page as you must ensure the hijacker cannot return.

Give some thought to upgrading your RuneScape account into a Jagex Account. Jagex introduced the 'Jagex Account' earlier this year. It runs on a much more secure protocol than the old RuneScape account
Information: Upgrade your RuneScape character to Jagex account
There is a link at the bottom of that page into the Jagex Account FAQ page.
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

09-Oct-2023 07:52:43

Ladyolake
Jan Member 2008

Ladyolake

Posts: 7,111 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Most people dont have thier account hijacked.

for you to say every single person you play with has been hijacked is very odd.

ive got 18 accounts and only 1 was ever hijacked and it was by a person i knew
in real life that had been in my house.

you need to figure out the weak link in your security.
The richest person is not who has the most. It is who Needs the least.

09-Oct-2023 15:04:18

W1ld Sp1r1t
Feb Member 2024

W1ld Sp1r1t

Posts: 4,240 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I went ahead and did the whole Jagex account and two step authentication and bank pin and changed my password. Which it's hard telling how they got into my account and not into any of my bank accounts just my Runescape account. Also nothing is linked to my account and I ran scan on my device and nothing came back with a red flag.

I can only think of two possibilities the first and most likely I bought an Anbernic RG405M which came from the Anbernic site. But the Anbernic is located in China with a different set of laws. I did hook my Google account to the Anbernic device and download Runescape onto the device. Since your able to play games with a controller I never tried it out though. So my conclusion the Anbernic device has some kind of Malware hooked into and explains why they never aimed for sensitive information.

Second conclusion my account has been inactive for such a long time that some one working for Jagex took it and probably is running one of those gold sites. Absolutely no proof just has always been odd it happens to people who have been inactive for such a long time.

09-Oct-2023 15:05:49

Ladyolake
Jan Member 2008

Ladyolake

Posts: 7,111 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
yes i understood about all the people you have played with.

ive played since 2001. as i said i have been hijacked 1 time by a person i knew in real life
(my daughters real life boyfriend).

so in all these years 18 accounts i have never been hijacked.

most people i know playing have never been hijacked.

It just concerns me that all these people you play with gets hijacked.

And as far as a jagex employee.. that is not likely.. the one incident years ago made jagex
buckle down and im sure its all checked and double checked now.

i would scan your computer and make sure that you have no malware. i would unlink everything associated with the company you got computer from.

I do wish you all the luck in world.

also, 3rd party software.. make sure you are downloading it from the runescape homepage.
you dont want to get a bad copy of runelite and it cause hijacks.
The richest person is not who has the most. It is who Needs the least.

09-Oct-2023 21:33:24

Quick find code: 408-409-333-66288451 Back to Top