Forums

Macroing & RWT bans [Info] Thread is locked Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 408-409-176-66257875

Samora Kiba
Jan Member 2008

Samora Kiba

Posts: 9,254 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Most bans in both RS3 and OSRS are related to either macroing or real world trading. Due to this, there are a number of myths, misconceptions and questions regarding this topic. The intent of this thread is to offer a compact overview and answer frequently asked questions.

Macroing
(otherwise known as botting)

This includes macroing major, macroing minor and bot busting moderate.
Macroing major is a permanent ban and you can get this as first offence . Macroing minor and bot busting moderate are temporary bans.

The most recent information regarding what is allowed can be found here: Third Party Clients Update . Currently, the only allowed clients are:
- The official Jagex clients
- Runelite
- HDOS
- OSBuddy
If you are detected using any other third party client, you risk getting a permanent ban. There are many clients out there claiming you will not get detected or that detection will result in a warning first. It would be rather bad for their business to say you’ll likely get permanently banned if caught after all.

Using the allowed clients does not mean you are immune to macroing bans. If you choose to use a third party client, be mindful of the third party guidelines here: Third Party Client Guidelines.

Applying a plugin with one of the prohibited features to an approved client can still get you banned. The same applies for:
- auto-typers/clickers
- binding multiple keys to 1 key
- moving the cursor to a specific location upon keypress
- keyboard auto-repeat
- game mouse/keyboard macro’s
- oscillating fans
- training a crow
- a dippy bird mechanic
- taping your keys down
Any neat contraption that is not you providing input can be picked up a macroing, and no, pictures of a ruler strapped to a fan will not get you unbanned.
~Samo

Community Helper

Member of the godless. It's not that I don't want to devote my soul to an RS god, the problem is that I can't find it.

16-Jul-2022 23:53:56 - Last edited on 17-Jul-2022 02:38:50 by Samora Kiba

Samora Kiba
Jan Member 2008

Samora Kiba

Macroing bans can be appealed through Appeal an offence or by clicking the appeal button next to the offence in account status. If the appeal is denied, there are no further official contact channels to appeal your ban.

Note: these bans are issued at a random time interval after the macroing is detected to protect the macroing detection systems. It is very possible to get a macroing ban on a day you didn’t play or during a moment that you’re not using the detected macro.
~Samo

Community Helper

Member of the godless. It's not that I don't want to devote my soul to an RS god, the problem is that I can't find it.

16-Jul-2022 23:55:50 - Last edited on 31-Jul-2022 19:43:05 by Samora Kiba

Samora Kiba
Jan Member 2008

Samora Kiba

~ Macroing FAQ’s: ~

Q:
Can I get banned for grinding without talking?
A:
You can grind a skill in complete silence as long as you want without a ban, as long as you don’t use a macro.

Q:
Why did I get a perm ban at first offence?
A:
Temp bans as warning are not guaranteed, they are more an exception. Historically, if players were guaranteed a warning, they would make as much use of macro’s until the warning was issued. The guaranteed warning wasn’t a deterrent to stop, it was an invitation to start. That’s why they are an exception now.

Q:
The offence expiry is next year, am I banned for a year?
A:
No, you are likely banned for a few days, check the yellow bar in account status for that. The offence expiry is when the offence is ‘removed from your record’, so to speak. Note that it is still possible to get a perm ban at your next offence, even if the next offence is after the expiry date.

Q:
I saw a streamer use a super efficient plugin, is that safe to use?
A:
Streamers using it does not mean it’s safe to use. They are not immune to bans, so read the third party guidelines and if you’re not sure, don’t use it. The excuse ‘but person X did it too’ will not get you unbanned!

Q:
Why can’t I provide context in the appeal?
A
: When you submit an appeal, Jagex checks the evidence that they collected regarding your account. The only information Jagex can verify is information stored on the account. Information supplied by the player could not be verified in the same way, and may be falsified, thus cannot be relied upon.

Q:
What are the criteria to get a temp ban?

A:
I'm sure there are plenty of players & bot makers who'd like to know that. Let's keep it that way.
~Samo

Community Helper

16-Jul-2022 23:55:59 - Last edited on 17-Jul-2022 00:38:22 by Samora Kiba

Samora Kiba
Jan Member 2008

Samora Kiba

Real world trading

Real world trading includes real world trading buying minor and real world trading major. There are a number of ways to get a ban for this: selling/buying gold or wealth, selling/buying services that breach the Terms & Conditions , commission staking, (hosting or participating in) stake cap circumventing and selling/buying accounts.

These bans are all manually applied and deemed one of the most severe offenses. If you are permanently banned for this reason, you can’t appeal the ban, no matter how long ago this was. Similar to macroing bans, these bans are issued at a random time interval after the RWT is detected, so you can receive a RWT warning, temp ban or perm ban weeks after the offence occurred.

There is only one type of RWT ban that can be appealed: ‘Real world trading buying minor’. This is a temporary ban for buying gold. The duration varies and it may or may not include removal of the purchased wealth. The appeal option can be found in account status next to the offence. If the appeal is denied, that is final.

It is also possible to receive ‘Warning: Real world trading’ in your inbox. This is not an offence by itself and thus cannot be appealed as it doesn’t affect your account. It does however mean that you’ve been detected purchasing gold. Use this moment to reconsider your choices as the next time it will be an offence.
~Samo

Community Helper

16-Jul-2022 23:56:05 - Last edited on 22-Aug-2022 13:37:21 by Samora Kiba

Samora Kiba
Jan Member 2008

Samora Kiba

~ RWT FAQ’s: ~

Q:
I’m an ironman, how is it possible to get a RWT ban?

A:
It’s very possible to get a RWT ban as ironman, e.g. through buying/selling the account or services. In addition to that, an account with an OSRS ironman character can have an RS3 character that is not an ironman. If the RS3 character sells money, the entire account gets banned.

Q:
Can I get a RWT buyer ban for getting a PvM split?

A:
No, receiving a PvM split is not going to result in a RWT warning or ban, even if the person you received the split from is associated with RWT.

Q:
Can I get a RWT ban for trading my alt or lending things to/from my friend?

A:
No, this will not result in a RWT ban or warning.

Q:
Is swapping RWT? I see a lot of swappers getting banned!

A:
Swapping by itself is a trust trade, it’s allowed but not recommended. The reason swappers do end up with RWT bans is because swapping relies on having a stock of RS3 and OSRS gp. It is not uncommon for swappers to buy gp they need for swapping, or to sell excess gp for IRL profit.
~Samo

Community Helper

17-Jul-2022 00:00:20 - Last edited on 17-Jul-2022 00:12:12 by Samora Kiba

Samora Kiba
Jan Member 2008

Samora Kiba

The moral of the story is: if you have any sort of attachment to your account, just don't try these things okay?

You will not be able to complain your way out of it. It will be too late to reconsider if you are permanently banned. There will be no pity for players caught for this, no matter how long you've been playing legitimately.

Thanks once more to my favorite trial reader Asahel for picking out the spelling errors and ensuring sentences make sense :)
Edit: missed a spelling error anyways, thanks Corder as well :P
~Samo

Community Helper

17-Jul-2022 00:00:56 - Last edited on 17-Jul-2022 02:32:12 by Samora Kiba

Quick find code: 408-409-176-66257875 Back to Top