Forums

Potential false recovery!

Quick find code: 408-409-114-66283506

Markjow

Markjow

Posts: 212 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dear Jagex staff and mods.

My account recently got hacked and when I got my account back, my bank was stripped of its valuebles with a total worth of 3B+.
The big question of this all is, how did they bypass the 2FA security from OSRS?

Too bad I did not made a Jagex account yet, which I offcourse did after I got my account back.
But before we get into more details, here is a list of measurements I have taken to protect my account and my pc.

- I have 2FA on both my RS Account and my E-mail adress
- My RS password had more characters intentionally, since they dont allow symbols/special characters
- I have good security (active antivirus and anti malmware) on my pc, there is zero chance of any keyloggers.
- I did not link any other accounts (like steam) on my osrs RS account.

My e-mail is 100% NOT compromised, otherwise I would have known. I get notified on 2 different e-mail accounts when there is a new log-in.
To my big surprise they where able to hack into my account and somehow bypass the 2FA and yet I did not recieve any e-mails from Jagex about changing password/2FA (which is normal).
Another strange facts is, when I got my account back, it was linked to a steam account, clearly it was from the hackers, but then again.. How??

The only way I can imagine they would have been able to acces my account and bypass any 2FA, is by a false account recovery.
Therefor I am kindly asking account support to take a look into this matter and the way I got hacked, also asking for the retrieval off the stolen items from my osrs account.

Years and years of progress and grinding has been removed by a potentially false recovery!

Kindly awaiting your soonest reply and assistance.

Markjow

13-Jul-2023 23:00:33

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,113 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi there
Markjow

If you want to message Jagex with information about the hijack of your account, you need to email: [email protected]
Posting here in the forums won't get your message seen by JMods as your audience in here is other players.

It is insanely difficult for a hijacker to succeed at account recovery as they have to prove that they created the account.
The account recovery system is so tight that any attempts to recover by anyone other than the actual account creator are doomed to fail.

You seem to have your security well set up but, the fact that a hijacker was able to access your account and set up a link to their Steam account means that there has been a security failure somewhere.
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

14-Jul-2023 01:36:11 - Last edited on 14-Jul-2023 01:37:11 by Malua

Quick find code: 408-409-114-66283506 Back to Top