Forums

Account Security Blog

Quick find code: 380-381-583-66107497

Mod Acorn

Mod Acorn

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user
This thread is for discussing the latest account security blog that you can find here .
Associate Producer for Old School RuneScape
@JagexAcorn

25-Jun-2019 12:06:56 - Last edited on 25-Jun-2019 12:07:48 by Mod Acorn

IPrintable
Mar Member 2017

IPrintable

Posts: 9 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Account issues, i notice when i type my password, it doesn't has case sensitive. which mean if my password is aBcD. but when i type abcd it still manage to access. Will this be resolve?

and also. your registration page also need to be improve, those horde in f2p able to register the game using only ONE email address.

25-Jun-2019 15:02:42 - Last edited on 25-Jun-2019 15:11:06 by IPrintable

Teequoze
Jan Member 2018

Teequoze

Posts: 791 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Account protection is good. But the recovery of accounts is still a lot of work needed.

Im trying to recover one of my first accounts for almost 10 years now. I have the login and pass but the account is locked..

My recovery questions: Not that easy to remember after 10 years. When you made them as a 12 year old.

Détails like whats ur subsciption pins? After 10 years really long gone.

Whats ur internet provider when you made your account (I didn't know what an internet provider was in the day just that I could play the game).

Another pain is contacting Jagex through mail. They straight up refer to those same old recovery questions or a list from 100 previous asked questions. And you should be able to provide other proof of ownership.
Maxed CB on 09.02.2017
Maxed total 25.05.2022
Member of divine kings #1 PvP clan , clan chat "DK Army".

25-Jun-2019 15:04:12 - Last edited on 25-Jun-2019 15:14:24 by Teequoze

S Klasse AMG

S Klasse AMG

Posts: 2,725 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Funny thing is, while they're TRYING to improve on their SECURITY, which should HAVE BEEN DONE LONG AGO, they are still okay with 3rd party clients risks.

The logic doesn't add up.

Proves how much it's just a publicity stunt when enough people wants it. If nobody raised this issue, they probably wouldn't come across in their mind to do this.

_l_ Big F U C K You to Jagex
If you need help, approach a specialized therapist in your area.

Follow @Artidote on Instagram to enhance awareness on mental health.
@the.holistic.psychologist, @lisaoliveratherapy, @silvy**oucasian

25-Jun-2019 15:18:35

Iron Robsham

Iron Robsham

Posts: 1,192 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
Funny thing is, while they're TRYING to improve on their SECURITY, which should HAVE BEEN DONE LONG AGO, they are still okay with 3rd party clients risks.

The logic doesn't add up.

Proves how much it's just a publicity stunt when enough people wants it. If nobody raised this issue, they probably wouldn't come across in their mind to do this.

_l_ Big F U C K You to Jagex

The logic is quite simple. Here, I'll help you out:

Proportion of people hacked because they didn't keep their shit safe: 100%
Proportion of people hacked because of Runelite: 0%

Cry all you like about 3pc, they aren't the source of all of these account breaches. Players being completely incompetent in how they handle security is the root of all of these problems, and while Jagex are improving their systems to keep their players happy and retain them as customers, blaming Jagex for player stupidity is... well, an example of player stupidity.
Anyone requesting updates to make ironman easier should be renamed wannabe-man and have their ironman icon replaced with a dunce hat.

26-Jun-2019 07:19:51

S Klasse AMG

S Klasse AMG

The logic is quite simple. Here, I'll help you out:

Proportion of people hacked because they didn't keep their shit safe: 100%
Proportion of people hacked because of Runelite: 0%

Cry all you like about 3pc, they aren't the source of all of these account breaches. Players being completely incompetent in how they handle security is the root of all of these problems, and while Jagex are improving their systems to keep their players happy and retain them as customers, blaming Jagex for player stupidity is... well, an example of player stupidity.

It's my turn to say now. Maybe you should take a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror.

Ask yourself " Why am I saying that Anyone that wants catering to make ironman easier should be renamed wannabe-man and have their ironman icon replaced with a dunce hat." when the usage of 3rd party clients has made the game more than easier to communicate and navigate, inclusive of ironman"

I shall rest my case here.

26-Jun-2019 16:04:36

S Klasse AMG

S Klasse AMG

Yes, 3rd party client is not entirely the source, but remember, it is possible

Sometimes account hijack can possibly happen because it is kept hidden from the radar, and also back up by the fact the client is heavily supported by playerbase, no doubt that any small suspicion against the client is forcibly dismissed. This is the default human nature, this is a human nature's blindspot.

Do not be complacent, you need to accept it is a risk. Sometimes, a person in a car doesn't know if he's getting T-Boned by a 5 tonne vehicle only until he wakes up confused in the middle of the wreck, not knowing if he is dead or alive, just blank and stunned. Thing can change very fast the next second.

If people reuse same log-in details, compromised accounts, not using authenticator, not using bank pin, any of the above (including private emails that nobody knows), in this case it's natural selections since even stronghold of security is not even taken seriously anymore

This actually reflects on Jagex's decision making and it's priority. The fact that this blog only came now, is not surprising to be honest, since the core of every decision is simply, to put it this way... $$$

This is the truth you have to accept for the company you're supporting because of the asset,which is the game that you seek pleasure playing

26-Jun-2019 16:32:05

Iron Robsham

Iron Robsham

Posts: 1,192 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If people reuse same log-in details, compromised accounts, not using authenticator, not using bank pin, any of the above (including private emails that nobody knows), in this case it's natural selections since even stronghold of security is not even taken seriously anymore

So you're fine with the thing that causes thousands of people to get hacked (which Jagex are trying to fix), because it's natural selection.

Yes, 3rd party client is not entirely the source, but remember, it is possible

Sometimes account hijack can possibly happen because it is kept hidden from the radar, and also back up by the fact the client is heavily supported by playerbase, no doubt that any small suspicion against the client is forcibly dismissed. This is the default human nature, this is a human nature's blindspot.

Do not be complacent, you need to accept it is a risk. Sometimes, a person in a car doesn't know if he's getting T-Boned by a 5 tonne vehicle only until he wakes up confused in the middle of the wreck, not knowing if he is dead or alive, just blank and stunned. Thing can change very fast the next second.

But you have a problem with something that hasn't caused anyone to be hacked (therefore doesn't need to be fixed), because it COULD happen?

Yeah, sorry, you're full of shit. Desperate to twist anything and everything into an attack on Jagex.
Anyone requesting updates to make ironman easier should be renamed wannabe-man and have their ironman icon replaced with a dunce hat.

26-Jun-2019 16:47:38 - Last edited on 26-Jun-2019 16:48:45 by Iron Robsham

Quick find code: 380-381-583-66107497 Back to Top