Forums

Cinder Core

Quick find code: 366-367-468-66130887

M a t k o

M a t k o

Posts: 15 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dear Jagex

Just wanted to display my views on the new item available through treasure hunter the all mighty Cinder Core. Now what I have done in purchasing them is all my fault I fell for what I see as a scam and blame myself for the purchase, even though I have not spent money on these items, I have spent a long time earning up for them and other players may have invested in Irl cash.

I don’t like using stars and lamps to gain xp will not buy keys and convert all lamps and stars to oddment’s save them for cores during dxp, I like to minimise my advantage on gaining xp to just the dxp weekends as don’t like getting free xp all year round and prefer to save up on these weekends and go all out in certain skills don’t enjoy training as much as others with cores so will generally have no bonus xp.

So, when dxp came unfortunately rushed into buying these items bought 241 of them which took me since last dxp to earn that’s 12.3m bonus xp worth of cores, and yes I did read the description of the cores and it is similar to advance pulse cores just the sneaky phrase is misleading to many and did not pick up on the fine print on these items. Now I have no cores to use for dxp. I was planning to renew for another year but after this not keen to renew membership which is a shame as I do enjoy playing this game and had a few goals in mind I wanted to strive for.

The fact that I lost all that xp and can no longer use isn’t want frustrates me with this but the whole concept of these cores seems like a scam to get players who do spend money on keys and such to spend more, taking advantage on the hype of the weekend. Players take advantage of these weekends as certain items spike in value in anticipation of the weekend and you took advantage of players buying cores.

(Need to post in 2 parts as limited to 2000 Characters)

23-Nov-2019 11:47:05

M a t k o

M a t k o

Take the following scenario a car dealer selling 2 cars identical on outside 1 blue one red, you test out the blue car take for a test drive and are happy then when back in office he offers the red car but if he only said the only difference was colour you wouldn’t be interested so give you extra incentive to go for the red, (with cores could have easily made them both 150% xp one for bxp one for regular then you would question the difference between the 2 cores but the 250% added incentive to buy over the regular and quick overview they seem to be identical items just advanced version) so you buy the red car and go out and realise there’s no engine (bxp) to be able to use car. Only option is to spend more money on an engine to be able to use.

What’s the difference, you’re allowing players to buy this item without being able to use them its just not right. Now not everyone fools for this and understands the use but you have to remember this is a children’s game and a lot of players are young and still don’t understand fine print, even a player like me that has been scammed in past and learned from mistakes wasn’t expecting it from Jagex himself so unfortunately I will no longer be renewing my membership and have lost a customer that has enjoyed this game but unhappy of where it’s going.

I’m sorry but this item has just frustrated me in its bare concept, what are you going to think of next to get more money from the kids that play this game??

23-Nov-2019 11:47:17

Treemaid

Treemaid

Posts: 11,286 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Firstly, I'm really sorry for your disappointment Matko; I can certainly see how easy it must have been to make that mistake!

For items that work in such different ways, the descriptions of them are alarmingly similar at a quick read. Also, the shared name part 'core' for both, would suggest to the unaware that they work in the same way, just that one gives more xp than the other. One would certainly have to analyse each description pretty closely and warily to notice that one only works if you currently have bonus xp on a skill saved up.

"Pulse core " A powerful item that grants 150% bonus xp while active. Once consumed it will explode granting an XP bonus (up to 10%) to everyone around you, including yourself."

"Cinder core " A powerful item that grants 250% bonus xp burn rate while active. Once consumed it will explode granting an XP bonus (up to 10%) to everyone around you, including yourself."

I'm sure that many others will have made the same mistake since those descriptions and the names of those items are alarmingly similar, not that that's any consolation I know. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to suggest that the descriptions were written that way intentionally to trap people into having to buy more Treasure Hunter tickets in order to get more bxp to make use of the cinder cores that they have bought under a misconception. It would certainly be understandable to come to that conclusion however. Personally, if I were Jagex, I'd prioritise making sure that the different way cinders and pulses work is made blaringly obvious to avoid others coming to the same conclusion as yourself as to their intentions. :/
AKA: Arbr**** Vie
Please also remove the filter from our siggies Jagex! :)

23-Nov-2019 12:27:19

Mueez
Dec Member 2023

Mueez

Posts: 157 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I honestly would have made the same mistake if I didn't read a reddit post specifically warning other players not to buy this item!

It's the little things like these that really ruins the experience tbh, whether it be a bug or lousy tool-tip.

23-Nov-2019 20:05:53

Ruffyan

Ruffyan

Posts: 92 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey Matko, I made the same mistake with the cinder cores. I did look at the descriptions before using up my oddments to buy them, but didn't see how they were any different from advanced pulse cores except for giving a higher percentage bonus xp.

I wish I had checked the forums beforehand.

24-Nov-2019 06:37:03

M a t k o

M a t k o

Sorry you also made same mistake, I'm sure you are one of many to fall for the same lure of an advanced version of the Pulse Core.

Jagex should never introduce an item onto treasure hunter that is completely useless unless you spend more money to make it work, its a desperate attempt to get more money out of players.

There are only a few small differences between the two items, one is red the other blue if you want to type out the description of the Cinder Core directly from the oddments store, just copy the Pulse Core description change the 1 to a 2 and add burn rate somewhere in the middle that's how similar those two items are so no wonder so many are falling for this tragic item introduced to the game.

The only way not to get fooled is to be warned by another play or actually understand the meaning of burn rate in the description, but honestly how many players are going to pick up on that.

24-Nov-2019 14:28:26 - Last edited on 24-Nov-2019 14:29:03 by M a t k o

CuddleBucket

CuddleBucket

Posts: 17,474 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There's pretty consistent feedback here TREASURE HUNTER TEAM.

What you did was short-sighted at best, and a lot of bad words at worst.

Part of the problem is recycling old material to cut costs, but when the items are as different as cinder cores & pulse cores are, it's just plain stupid.

Different items should be explicitly different in at least 1 area, appearance and description.

Anything less and it makes it look like you are intentionally thieving from your player base, and that manipulative appearance is one you shouldn't aim for, it's completely disrespectful.

I'm NOT against TH as my forum posts show, so this isn't criticism for the sake of criticism.

YOU SHOULD NEVER BE IN THE SITUATION WHERE YOUR PLAYERBASE EXPECTS AN ITEM TO WORK 1 WAY, & IT WORKS COMPLETELY IN ANOTHER WAY.

Learn from your mistake.
YOU WIN OR YOU LEARN

~
^
~
B
onus
XP
~
^
~

28-Nov-2019 07:29:15

Xavathos
Nov Member 2016

Xavathos

Posts: 718 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't really see the problem. I gave one look at the Cinder Core when it got released and instantly knew it was trash.

You spend time, money or at least in some way effort to gain bonus xp. Why on earth would you want to use an item that burns it 2.5x faster? The only ever possible reason I could find is if you have more bonus xp than your set goal requires, that way Cinder Core would get you to your goal faster, but you still pay the bonus exp price to do so. Essentially, the Cinder Core saves time but nothing else. And in a lot of cases, it doesn't even really do that either.

It's such a stupid item imo and should be removed entirely. Pulse Cores are way, way better, because they act a lot like Cinder Cores in that they increase XP rates, but do so in a much more valuable way while also providing an additional 2% (base, up to 10%) xp rate when consumed.

Let's look at some numbers:

For this example, assume DXP is on, because that's usually where people spam cores. Also assume that you have bonus exp stored, obviously.

Assume an example XP pop of 1500 (500 base and 1000 as bonus exp)

Add a Cinder Core to that. It sets your bonus xp burn rate to 250%, meaning your saved up bonus exp will be used 2.5x faster than normal. So instead of the above 1500 pop, you would get 2250 (500 base and 1750 as bonus exp) but you will have used up 1250 instead of 500 of your saved up bonus exp.

Add a Pulse Core to that instead. It sets your total exp gain to 150%, which is multiplicative on your entire XP gain. This means your XP pop would go up to 2250 as well. (500 base and 1750 bonus exp) However, in this case you've only used 750 of your saved up bonus exp to get this XP pop. Then there's the small 10% base exp buff to add as well. Which translates to only 75 on the whole in this case, which isn't much but it's there, so a total of 2325 xp would be gained with it up. For this reason, Pulse cores are amazing value at DXP events.
Be the change you would like to see in the world.

02-Dec-2019 10:49:19 - Last edited on 02-Dec-2019 11:07:24 by Xavathos

Miagexy
Jan Member 2009

Miagexy

Posts: 590 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wow they still seating in my bank, They just look preatty; Red is for Love at Valentine's day...
So I still tryig to find out how to use them. Well I got them for free some how... I guess with challenge tickets.
I took them out today but I am using skills that have no bonus xp so I am going to bank them again for future use...
So; if I togle a skill to a red x, That is the skill that is going to get the xp faster or the ones that are not mark with the red x ? I can never get them to work either way...
So if I have 3k extra bonus xp on farming for example and I togle farming with a red x nothing interesting hapens, the core stays at the same charge number; and if I clear the red x the number stays the same and I wonder what I might be doing wrong. Yes, I did some skilling both ways...
Can some one please explaing to me how it actually work; just pretend I still a kid at times at many times like atm and make it child simple explanation so I can understand how to use the red cores ( Cinder Cores ) Many Thanks in advance for your help about this matter.
Can I use this Cinder Cores during double xp weekend with the skillls that I have bonus xp...?

07-Aug-2020 23:57:26 - Last edited on 08-Aug-2020 00:05:22 by Miagexy

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Miagexy said :

Can some one please explaing to me how it actually work; just pretend I still a kid at times at many times like atm and make it child simple explanation so I can understand how to use the red cores ( Cinder Cores ) Many Thanks in advance for your help about this matter.
Can I use this Cinder Cores during double xp weekend with the skillls that I have bonus xp...?

You just wear them like the other pocket items including Advance Pulse Core. First, you select what skills you want to burn bonus xp with the core from the configure interface, then you wear them and start skilling. You get bonus xp starting from 2% and it stacks up to 10% when the the players around you use their cores. When your core expires due to enough accumulation of xp, it explores and grant you and everybody around bonus xp.

That said, DXP is the best time to use the Cores as there are plenty of players skilling around you and they are far more likely wearing the Cores too.

08-Aug-2020 18:36:09

Quick find code: 366-367-468-66130887 Back to Top