Forums

Renmark's Corruption.

Quick find code: 341-342-834-65971653

AesirWarrior
Jan Member 2021

AesirWarrior

Posts: 1,060 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey, I know what you're thinking. "We already have a Xau-Tak thread!" Well, what if I told you the corruption spoken of by Guthix in the (prestiged) Elder Sword echo is not Xau-Tak? I propose that the corruption at the core of Renmark is not connected to Xau-Tak, it's connected to the Wand of Ressurection/Death of Chivalry.

(Elder Sword Echo Transcript found here: http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Transcript%3AElder_Sword_(echo) )

I'll admit that when this lore tidbit from the Memorial to Guthix was first released all I could think of was Xau-Tak. After all, Xau-Tak was all the hype back then (still is) and it fit him perfectly. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realised this didn't quite make sense. Xau-Tak is not about death, if anything he's about life. How could a being that "feeds on the living" be the same being that raises pirates from the grave?

Then I saw this tweet by Mod Stu.
Clearly the intent was not for this to be Xau-Tak
https://twitter.com/JagexStu/status/932890637720018944

It seems we have missed something. Renmark was created by Mod Stu,who also created the Death of Chivalry, and its macguffin, the Wand of Ressurection. Horns are a rare occurence among centaurs and with hers, Elora was able to ressurect the dead. However, if the wielder is not pure of heart the risen dead are corrupted. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Centaur homeworld happened to also have a corrupting parasite at its core. I believe Stu was setting up Death of Chivarly 2

Let's compare the echo to Death of Chivalry.

Sir Owen: The urge to destroy boils within me. The corruption claws at my mind.

Elder Sword echo: A corrupt, ravenous presence; a bloated parasite that fed voraciously on the living , whose appetite could never be satisfied.

If Sir Owen is indeed the host of the same parasite Guthix encountered it would certainly explain why he has an urge to destroy.
-
I have noticed your kind does tend to blindly stumble forward towards danger simply because it exists. What is your word for that?
- We call it being a hero.

08-Dec-2017 20:36:48 - Last edited on 09-Dec-2017 12:55:36 by AesirWarrior

AesirWarrior
Jan Member 2021

AesirWarrior

I also don't think it's a coincidence that the corruption is said to "entwine the threads of mortality", and that the wand has the power to ressurect.

So what does this mean? If we assume the corruption at the heart of Renmark is somehow connected to Death of Chivalry and the Wand of Ressurection, what does that imply? Well, I have two main theories.

1. The Wand of Ressurection's ability to ressurect is directly tied to the parasite. Centaurs with horns are unwilling hosts of this ravenous corruption. It is only through their purity that they manage to keep it in check, and ressurect people (relatively) unharmed. You are using the parasite's energy, but you are able to overpower it with your own "purity". If however you are not "pure" the corruption is able to take hold of the ressurected individual.

2. The parasite is directly connected to the decay of the human (or, well, mortal) body and all who die are affected by it. Remember, it is said to "entwine the threads of mortality". This could mean that whenever a person dies their body's decay is the result of this parasite. Now, in real life this is not the case, but Runescape operates in a Fantasy universe, so its "rules" could be different from our own. Saradomin claims that " Sir Owen's body is contaminated with the rot of the grave ." This "rot" is the corruption, and it's also why most undead, even the ones ressurected without the wand, appear to be quite malevolent. They are all hosts to the parasite. Alternatively, the parasite may not be responsible for all decay, but rather a more metaphysical/magical kind.

I'd love to see you share your thoughts and theories below. I think we've got something here.
-
I have noticed your kind does tend to blindly stumble forward towards danger simply because it exists. What is your word for that?

08-Dec-2017 20:46:48 - Last edited on 09-Dec-2017 12:57:07 by AesirWarrior

Hguoh

Hguoh

Posts: 7,581 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nope. The wand of resurrection was the horn of Elora, Fern from DoC's sister. She lived during the God Wars.

Guthix came upon Renmark during his travels of the planes, which ceased during the 1st age.

Unless centaurs are incredibly long lived, the wand has no relation to the corruption.

And it can't be a trait shared amongst all horned centaurs or we'd have more than just one wand of resurrection.

08-Dec-2017 21:01:04

AesirWarrior
Jan Member 2021

AesirWarrior

Hguoh said :
Nope. The wand of resurrection was the horn of Elora, Fern from DoC's sister. She lived during the God Wars.

Guthix came upon Renmark during his travels of the planes, which ceased during the 1st age.

Unless centaurs are incredibly long lived, the wand has no relation to the corruption.

And it can't be a trait shared amongst all horned centaurs or we'd have more than just one wand of resurrection.

Derp I mixed up Fern and Elora. And while Renmark exploded in the 1st age the corruption still survived, so I don't see how that's an issue. It being related to all horned centaurs is just wild speculation on my part. If that's not the case it does not invalidate the Wand's connection to the corruption.

EDIT: Oh and other wands having healing powers is confirmed

Fern: Among my people, the most virtuous are granted a horn with healing powers.

Other Wands may simply not exist because the Encanted Valley's Centaur population was too small, or because none were as virtuous as Elora.
-

08-Dec-2017 21:03:31 - Last edited on 08-Dec-2017 21:12:10 by AesirWarrior

MystLunaris

MystLunaris

Posts: 299 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't think the Wand of Resurrection has any relation to whatever was on Renmark at all.

Although how the horns grow on centaurs and how they actually revive people is definitely an interesting topic.
I'd like to ask Death or Icthlarin about that sometime since one of them must've noticed what actually happened to a soul when the wand is used.
99-120 Skill content , Skilling boss ideas , Talents , God Emissary D&D/Minigame , Vampyric and Elven tech trees

08-Dec-2017 21:26:08

Hguoh

Hguoh

Posts: 7,581 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Other horns are confirmed to have healing powers, but no other horns are known to resurrect people or cause corruption when used by those without virtue or those who fall out of virtue. As such, there's no indication that the corruption observed with the Wand of Resurrection is common across all centaur horns.

I simply don't see the wand causing corruption as anything other than a skewing of the wand's functions by even the slightest faults in the caster's virtue (both reanimate the person, one just properly brings the soul back).

09-Dec-2017 03:16:00

Marine Doge

Marine Doge

Posts: 1,213 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hguoh said :
I simply don't see the wand causing corruption as anything other than a skewing of the wand's functions by even the slightest faults in the caster's virtue (both reanimate the person, one just properly brings the soul back).

Agreed. Probably has something to do with light energy vs dark energy forms of anima - the dark side of the spectrum creates tendencies towards corruption and viciousness (said somewhere in the January lore corner regarding dark planes), so someone without a highly light-aligned soul would probably corrupt any magic that tampers with the sensitive nature of life and souls. Or something.
Ofc the main problem that might arise from that hypothesis is that it would imply Seren could probably use the wand without problem, but then again even the divine aspect of light energy has darkness in her, so I dunno. It's the only explanation I can think of regarding the relation between "virtue" and soul-related magic. I recently prodded Stu on Twitter about the nature of holy magic and junk, and he says it's an avenue that could lead to character conflict and story and stuff, so I'm guessing he already has ideas for all of this, and we'll have to wait and see.
Mods pls notice me

09-Dec-2017 05:48:13

Wahisietel
Oct Member 2005

Wahisietel

Posts: 3,426 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Why not both? Centaurs are already connected to Xau-Tak via the Hermit crab pet's dialogue. You never were our brightest star, Khazard. 'Vermin slaughtered like lambs'? What does that even mean?

09-Dec-2017 14:54:15 - Last edited on 09-Dec-2017 14:56:13 by Wahisietel

Zulkir

Zulkir

Posts: 7,343 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think the wording used to describe this planetary tumor is incredibly similar to Xau-Tak, Too similar in fact to be a coincidence, Obviously Jmods won't outright say "Ah yes, well done you've unveiled Xau-Tak" on Twitter.

But at the same time this does all feel rather...obvious. Like we made the connection instantly to this, and for the memorial to be the place we learn more about Xau-Tak than anywhere else feels misplaced, like it deserved a grander stage.

It's easy to see how a planetary tumor could ascend to Godhood feeding on the lifeforce and the Anima of planets would do the trick, and it would also explain the answer to my question quite a time ago why Zaros or Seren wouldn't just annihilate Xau-Tak should he ever become a threat to Gielinor, and Mod Jack I believe said they're not necessarily powerful enough to do that.

How would you even with all the power they wield fight a very literal, ascended, planet tumor?
Zarosian Lorehound

Master Questcape Owner

Inconsistent Completionist

09-Dec-2017 15:02:07 - Last edited on 09-Dec-2017 15:57:49 by Zulkir

Quick find code: 341-342-834-65971653 Back to Top