Forums

Lost Elements.

Quick find code: 341-342-790-65873941

Lord Remus

Lord Remus

Posts: 288 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but apologies if it has been.

With the release of Sliske's Endgame, I have been thinking more and more about the Elder God's and what to expect from them. While doing this, something pulled at my curiosity and I'd like to know what others think of this.

Each of the Elder Gods represent some form of Element:

Air is attributed to Jas.
Fire is attributed to Ful.
Ice is attributed to Wen.
Earth is attributed to Bik.
Light and Dark are attributed to Mah.

But these aren't the only Elder Gods to have existed and while we don't know the exact number we do know it was more than the above list. So this made me wonder... Did other Elder Gods have their own unique Element or did they share it with another?

It would be interesting to discover a type of magic from a previous Revision that doesn't exist in ours because the Elder God attributed to it did not make it to the current one.

Thoughts on this?
I'm Godless although I consider myself Independent/Unaligned I "We create ourselves through life. Every victory, every failure and every lesson learned from them... Make us who we are. Once we have lived life to it's end, that is when we realise who we are... or more accurately, who we were."

27-Jan-2017 06:27:48

Summerleaf
Nov Member 2012

Summerleaf

Posts: 3,313 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I wonder if they were as simple as something like wood, metal, and lightning, or something so abstract that we can't even imagine it (like how it's impossible to imagine colors outside of our visible spectrum).

27-Jan-2017 16:47:04

Lord Remus

Lord Remus

Posts: 288 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Summerleaf said :
...or something so abstract that we can't even imagine it (like how it's impossible to imagine colors outside of our visible spectrum).

Good analogy for that lol.

The problem with things like Wood is that it already exists, possibly even in magic form depending on how Hazelmere's magic is classed as. And I can see Metal being a more advanced form of Earth magic but it would be awesome to have a metal bending/shaping magic.

On magic in general, it would be cool for Jagex to put more... Scholary kinds of information for us to find. We have several magical towers that are dedicated to magical study but doesn't really do much for us other than a few minigames, quests and shops. Astromancy, Hydromancy and all sorts of things we could read up lol.
I'm Godless although I consider myself Independent/Unaligned I "We create ourselves through life. Every victory, every failure and every lesson learned from them... Make us who we are. Once we have lived life to it's end, that is when we realise who we are... or more accurately, who we were."

27-Jan-2017 22:25:38

The contents of this message have been hidden.

27-Jan-2017 23:27:40

AesirWarrior
Jan Member 2021

AesirWarrior

Posts: 1,060 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I agree that any "lost elements" would be incomprehensible. I mean, this universe is built up of certain building blocks and as creations of said building blocks we shouldn't be able to comprehend anything beyond these building blocks. ...If that make sense. -
I have noticed your kind does tend to blindly stumble forward towards danger simply because it exists. What is your word for that?
- We call it being a hero.

27-Jan-2017 23:54:07

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

Posts: 5,206 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Summerleaf said :
I wonder if they were as simple as something like wood, metal, and lightning, or something so abstract that we can't even imagine it (like how it's impossible to imagine colors outside of our visible spectrum).

Hey man, that doesn't make any sense. Abstract means only existing in the mind and not having any physical existence. Magic in Runescape is made up of energy, and energy is tangible/physical. That's like saying physical non-physical matter. It's completely contradictory.

AesirWarrior said :
I agree that any "lost elements" would be incomprehensible. I mean, this universe is built up of certain building blocks and as creations of said building blocks we shouldn't be able to comprehend anything beyond these building blocks. ...If that make sense.

That's a tricky position to take up. Yes, all things that exist in this universe are made up of smaller parts. (Assuming there is no principal material such as the strings of string theory). However, every single material is different from any other material. Sets of composite parts that can think (You for example) arbitrarily ignore some of the differences when comparing each set of composite parts, or put more emphasis on the similarities between two sets in order to arbitrarily classify the two sets as the same thing for simplicities sake. (For example, even though there is likely an infinite, or growing towards an infinite amount of differences between two men, we still call them men because it is easier for us to use the data amassed from perceiving the two things we call men)

Even if we have a principal material, there is no logical way to classify two principal materials as the same material without making arbitrary distinctions because they still exist in different space, are acted upon by different forces etc. all things that give rise to differences.

(Continued)

28-Jan-2017 02:55:08 - Last edited on 28-Jan-2017 03:01:06 by Cthris

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

So technically, we always comprehend things that are not made up of the same building blocks as us. If that's so, it stands to reason that we could comprehend things with even greater levels of differences then the materials we are made up of, and comprehend right now.

28-Jan-2017 02:57:37

Summerleaf
Nov Member 2012

Summerleaf

Posts: 3,313 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cthris said :
Summerleaf said :

Hey man, that doesn't make any sense. Abstract means only existing in the mind and not having any physical existence. Magic in Runescape is made up of energy, and energy is tangible/physical. That's like saying physical non-physical matter. It's completely contradictory.

It's not contradictory tho, you just don't know your vocabulary.

The emphasis being on it's synonyms such as the word THEORETICAL. Even my computer has it in all caps.

That, or you're just not understanding what I said.
It's missing, therefor Gielinor's Magic is unable to reflect it. Making the concept of it theoretical, and theorizing on its properties ABSTRACT thought.

Edit: Re-reading this, I realize it sounds kind of hostile. That is not my intention, I'm just tired.

28-Jan-2017 05:38:03 - Last edited on 28-Jan-2017 05:52:42 by Summerleaf

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

Summerleaf said :

It's not contradictory tho, you just don't know your vocabulary.

The emphasis being on it's synonyms such as the word THEORETICAL. Even my computer has it in all caps.

That, or you're just not understanding what I said.
It's missing, therefor Gielinor's Magic is unable to reflect it. Making the concept of it theoretical, and theorizing on its properties ABSTRACT thought.

Okay, I can kind of see what you are getting at, the problem is you are trying to use abstract and theoretical as perfect synonyms when they are imperfect.

One synonym =/= another synonym. They are simply words that can replace one another in CERTAIN circumstances, but not all circumstances. For example pants and breeches are synonyms, but cannot be used completely interchangeably.

Some things can be theoretical while not being abstract. For example, higgs boson was a theoretical particle (because we could only speculate about its exsistance), but it's existence was concrete due to it actually existing in the physical world (though theory behind its existence was abstract).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not to mention, if you were using the word abstract to mean theoretical that's another contradiction. You cannot have something so theoretical that it can't be imagined. Something can only be theoretical if we can imagine it lol.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, if something once existed in reality and then reality was deprived of it, that would only make it abstract if we were able to maintain a concept of that item. (Assuming that the past ceases to exist, otherwise it would exist concretely in the past). If it's nature was to be unimaginable then it wouldn't be abstract because no one could make it into thought or idea.

28-Jan-2017 06:12:51 - Last edited on 28-Jan-2017 06:48:00 by Cthris

Quick find code: 341-342-790-65873941 Back to Top