Forums

The Egyptian/Menaphite Soul

Quick find code: 341-342-776-65924212

Swolllliosis

Swolllliosis

Posts: 161 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Since Menaphite lore is somewhat based on real life Egyptian lore, I thought it would be great to share this fascinating connection and ties to real life lore I noticed while doing the three Menaphos quests.

-----------------------

The ancient Egyptians believed that a human soul was made up of five parts: the Ren, the Ba, the Ka, the Sheut, and the Ib. (In addition to these components of the soul, there was the human body (called the ha, occasionally a plural haw, meaning approximately sum of bodily parts), but we won't talk about this in this thread because his body blew up.)

Why am I bringing this up? Because after Tumeken blew himself up, it is confirmed after 'Phite Club that he isn't dead at all and is fully conscious! His body is destroyed, but his soul is still alive and in tact, perhaps separated into the five aforementioned parts above, with the Kharid-ib his main center of conscious and thoughts, and Amascut is trying to finish off her Dad once and for all by corrupting and devouring each of his parts.

Let's take a look at the parts of the Tumeken's soul we may have found in game:

IF THE FOLLOWING ARE TOO SMALL, open this imgur link up and click on the individual pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/9Flma

(I decided to make a table so it is more organized than cramming it in the forum.)

I really think the souls in-game are based on the Egyptian template of a soul. What do you think?

Amascut is so close to finishing off her Dad's soul.
Owner of the first 6th age church of Tumeken
| Twitter: @RSTemekel

22-Jun-2017 08:00:37 - Last edited on 22-Jun-2017 08:02:47 by Swolllliosis

Ptolemy Dean
Dec Member 2023

Ptolemy Dean

Posts: 4,044 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Certainly interesting. I wonder if Tumeken's ascension and divinity is more unique than we think. "Ptolemos, the friendly, informative Mahjarrat."
Member of the
Godless
and an advocate of
Moia
Zamorak
Role-player and proud owner of eleven Capes of Accomplishment.

22-Jun-2017 13:40:11

Solmestix
Aug Member 2020

Solmestix

Posts: 477 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ptolemy Dean said :
Certainly interesting. I wonder if Tumeken's ascension and divinity is more unique than we think.

It seems to me that Tumeken may have used a different method of ascension, maybe one more effective at keeping the ascendee's soul in the process. As despite his energy being scattered, Tumeken stayed alive. Why? Because of this ascension method.

23-Jun-2017 07:13:31

Swolllliosis

Swolllliosis

Posts: 161 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
New research on Egyptian lore has led me to belief that "Tumeken" may not even be his actual Sheut/Name but some nomenclature.

Usually, in Egyptian lore, Tumeken would be a 'title' more than a 'name' and that there would be a second name, one that is his true name that holds power.

The Egyptians believed that if you knew something's name, you had power over it. If you wrote the name of a dangerous animal or evil spirit on pottery and smashed it you were symbolically killing the evil. So called "execration texts" have been discovered all over Egypt particularly near burial areas. A typical Pharaoh would usually have 5-6 names, one true name that contained power. You would address the Pharaoh with other names, or their title.

In-game, I notice the Pharaoh of Menaphos is never given a name. Perhaps it is tradition to keep secret of the pharaoh's true birth name and call him as thus, until their deaths at least.

When it comes to Infernus demons, I know for a fact that they all have true names, too. One that is powerless and hard to pronounce using the human tongue and one that holds power, probably powerful enough to exorcise them from our plane.

"I have a name, but it cannot be pronounced using your fleshy mortal tongues, just as my age would have no meaning to you, for I am ageless. A demon's true name is a powerful thing; I can only grant you the boon of knowing my kin name, which is powerless: S'malyo Gsot't." - Postbag 29
Owner of the first 6th age church of Tumeken
| Twitter: @RSTemekel

23-Jun-2017 07:38:38

Quick find code: 341-342-776-65924212 Back to Top