Forums

Noob questions

Quick find code: 341-342-771-66003992

Slayerpvp96

Slayerpvp96

Posts: 44 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've never been an expert on runescape lore but basically what I know what's new from RS3 is that the player is the "chosen one" who was given a small amount of power from guthix that makes you resistant to god magic. And you're title is the world guardian. You're job is to stop the other gods from taking control over the planet. Completely opposite of old school runescape or runescape in general before RS3. Before, you're just a random adventurer, pretty much yourself being dropped in the world of runescape

That's all I know. Is that right?

And are you born the world guardian or do you become the world guardian and are granted powers after you complete the quest The World Wakes?

Also does RS3 really take place after OSRS, runescape classic, and RS2? It seems like a bunch of crazy stuff went down because, for example, castle wars is in ruin in RS3 but not in OSRS

Are there any signs of your(the random adventurer) accomplishments before RS3 in RS3 lore?

09-Apr-2018 23:49:28 - Last edited on 09-Apr-2018 23:54:21 by Slayerpvp96

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

Forum Moderator Posts: 9,861 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Slayerpvp96 said :

*snipped*

That's all I know. Is that right?

It's a bit more complicated than that, but for the bare basics you're pretty much right. The World Guardian is supposed to protect the world from Gods, but Guthix (who basically asks you to do that) never said anything about how to accomplish that, and the different gods themselves have other goals that you may or may not agree with too.

Slayerpvp96 said :
And are you born the world guardian or do you become the world guardian and are granted powers after you complete the quest The World Wakes?

You're given World Guardian status after The World Wakes. The entire quest shows the process leading up to it.

Slayerpvp96 said :
Also does RS3 really take place after OSRS, runescape classic, and RS2? It seems like a bunch of crazy stuff went down because, for example, castle wars is in ruin in RS3 but not in OSRS

For simplicity's sake, OSRS is generally assumed (to my knowledge) to be an 'alternate universe' that's self contained with it's own world and lore (though some of the earlier stuff may cross over because of the release dates).

Classic and RS2 are just older versions of RS3 that are outdated, so RS3 has all the same areas and quests as those 2 games but with different game mechanics and more stuff in general that was added in later over the years.

Slayerpvp96 said :
Are there any signs of your(the random adventurer) accomplishments before RS3 in RS3 lore?

RS3 lore (mainly, the Sixth Age) typically assumes that you've already completed all of the quests prior to The World Wakes, so yes. But for newer players it might be a bit confusing because of how Jagex handles the Fifth/Sixth Age split when it comes to the storylines.
^+^ Antediluvian of the Draculesti Bloodline ^+^

^+^ If the Gods see fit to curse us with the Blood, then we shall raise ourselves above them ^+^

10-Apr-2018 01:10:34 - Last edited on 10-Apr-2018 01:11:40 by A Mad Hatter

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

Posts: 5,206 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A Mad Hatter said :

Slayerpvp96 said :

You're given World Guardian status after The World Wakes. The entire quest shows the process leading up to it.

Arguably, one could affirm that it was timelessly true that the world guardian identity has been a constitute of the player character's identity; that is to say that even in the first, second, third etc. age the player character is the world guardian. You can come to this conclusion by considering the implications of time travel, bootstrap paradoxes, destiny, prophecy, Xua Tak; the player isn't bound by time so it's impossible to say when the player character is the world guardian and when the player character is not the world guardian. That being said, the player character only experience's the powers associated with world guardian status post their experience of The World Wakes, as far as we know.

10-Apr-2018 03:20:58 - Last edited on 10-Apr-2018 03:22:21 by Cthris

Xifang Baihu
Aug Member 2006

Xifang Baihu

Posts: 27,311 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Slayerpvp96 said :
And your title is the world guardian. Your job is to stop the other gods from taking control over the planet. Completely opposite of old school Runescape or Runescape in general before RS3. Before, you're just a random adventurer, pretty much yourself being dropped in the world of Runescape.

Just my two gold pieces on the issue but while Guthix named you World Guardian and asked you to defend the world against the various 'gods' that would come to take, destroy, use, or otherwise mess with it... Well, as A Mad Hatter said above, you may or may not agree with the various beings and their goals.

From what I immediately remember, you are by NO means obligated to follow the letter, spirit, intention, or any variation on Guthix's request.

If you want to align with a particular being and/or their followers in your official role as World Guardian, you can.

If you wish to not give a flying gnome about Guthix's wish and just go around doing what you want because you want to, you can. Which is one of the reasons why Guthix chose you, the adventurer: he believed that we were not tied up by any one group's belief and would make choices independently of what any group may want. Which, naturally, includes his own wishes.

If you want to side with one god or another, do it.

If you want to help Sliske, do it.

If you want to side with fanatic idiots, do it.

Guthix gave you some additional abilities and asked you to do something. BUT as I have been saying, you are free to do what you want with those abilities and title. Including ignoring them whenever you have the chance to [whenever Jagex doesn't make you take up the mantle and abilities for a quest, for instance].

In short, it's all up to you if you do or do not. Use it at your discretion.

As for Castle Wars... Just an aesthetic change between RS2 and RS3. Nothing big from what I immediately remember.

10-Apr-2018 09:31:35

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

Forum Moderator Posts: 9,861 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cthris said :

Arguably, one could affirm that it was timelessly true that the world guardian identity has been a constitute of the player character's identity; that is to say that even in the first, second, third etc. age the player character is the world guardian. You can come to this conclusion by considering the implications of time travel, bootstrap paradoxes, destiny, prophecy, Xua Tak; the player isn't bound by time so it's impossible to say when the player character is the world guardian and when the player character is not the world guardian. That being said, the player character only experience's the powers associated with world guardian status post their experience of The World Wakes, as far as we know.

I'm not saying you're wrong (I haven't been following the Xau-Tak/time travel/destiny stuff too closely personally so for all I know you could be right), but I was trying to keep things simple because the thread author is new to RS3 lore and probably doesn't fully understand what any of that is about.

Slayerpvp96 said :
Thanks for the responses

But is castle wars being in ruin really just aesthetics? There's no reason it's all destroyed now?

Nope, just aesthetics. It was part of some Castle Wars update a while back that did a makeover on the whole thing if I'm remembering it right. Apparently Jagex wanted to make it look more like it was part of an actual battlefield, but I'm not 100% clear on if that was their actual intentions or just some Jmod giving their opinion on twitter or something since it happened so long ago. O_o
^+^ Antediluvian of the Draculesti Bloodline ^+^

^+^ If the Gods see fit to curse us with the Blood, then we shall raise ourselves above them ^+^

12-Apr-2018 02:45:49 - Last edited on 12-Apr-2018 02:46:13 by A Mad Hatter

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

Posts: 5,206 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A Mad Hatter said :

I'm not saying you're wrong (I haven't been following the Xau-Tak/time travel/destiny stuff too closely personally so for all I know you could be right), but I was trying to keep things simple because the thread author is new to RS3 lore and probably doesn't fully understand what any of that is about.

Not to worry! :D I wasn't saying you were wrong either! I just wanted to give an alternative interpretation of what it means to be the world guardian, hence why I said "arguably". Thought it might be worth mentioning since Slayer mentioned something about being the "chosen' one and because identity is one of the cooler topics in philosophy and I shamelessly take any opportunity to make a discussion about it ;) . You gave a great answer and I in no way meant to undermine it.

12-Apr-2018 04:32:27

BADGERSLAY3R
May Member 2022

BADGERSLAY3R

Posts: 5 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
hello ive returned after about 3 years and there are a lot of quests that I had completed previous to updates and such. ive looked through them and the updated quests I understand but I have things or items from the quests ive completed before that I don't have complete now that were never updated.

Hopefully this isn't too much of an inconvenience to you guys but I cant find a thread or topic about this anywhere and I cant find how to make a post myself.
hello =]

20-Aug-2018 05:26:10

Quick find code: 341-342-771-66003992 Back to Top