Forums

Am I A Light Mahjarrat?!

Quick find code: 341-342-582-65857322

Angof Cywir

Angof Cywir

Posts: 66 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile

-We can shapeshift like the Mahjarrat.
-We live for a looong time. From my in-game dialogue, it appears that I have lived way before the time Seren first left Tarddiad to Gielinor.
-Made of divine crystals.

As crystal shapeshifters, are we technically considered divine beings like the Maharrat, due to being made out of Seren's crystals - which came from Mah?

Zaros (fotg): "Their name means 'the children of Mah'. Their crystals mark their divine origin..."

Could we be considered some distant cousins of the Mahjarrat, sort of like adopted children of Mah?

In Children of Mah, Wahisietal suggests the Mahjarrat are likely formed from the same crystal that shaped Zaros (the dark crystals}. Crystalline shapeshifters are formed from Seren's crystals. We are basically the "light" version of the Mahjarrat, amiright? Or maybe on the level of pre-nadir Moia at least?

Does this also mean we could be considered somewhere on the godhood scale?

Yes, I know the World Guardian is capable of killing us in-game, but the World Guardian is the World Guardian and could be resistant to what might have been a quick death by us were they not immune to divine energies. (and in-game levels are no where a reflection of lore, plus you have to account for the adventurer being ridiculously op, being able to take on Mahjarrat in tWW. )
I submissively obey Lady Seren's every whim and relish every waking moment willingly serving her. She is my mistress and I am nothing without her. I am without thought, self-awareness, and being without her. She is my everything.

05-Dec-2016 06:33:43

Half Centaur
Jun Member 2010

Half Centaur

Posts: 6,959 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think you're closer to the order of ascension. Mortal origin- in a desperate attempt at the divine, just different intent behind each.

Seren wanted to preserve the elves- thats why she created the elves, as an attempt to give each elf a taste of her power, so they could live indefinitely like her. Like Zaros. Like the Mahjarrat.

Ocellus wanted power- so he fabricated the crystals the order of ascension has, and used them to try and accumlate as much power as possible.

Either way- mortal creatures at heart. Just like in time the order will die, so to did the elves, so to will the shapeshifters. All bound by their mortal coil. The only way to truly sever that, would be true ascension.
"We call it being a hero"
"That's interesting, we call it utter stupidity"

05-Dec-2016 07:23:53

Autumn Elite

Autumn Elite

Posts: 3,487 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No, not really.

Mahjarrat come directly from Mah albeit unintentionally. Even Moia, a half mahjarrat offspring, has that partial direct line from her full mahjarrat father.

Crystal shapeshifters do not. Their shapeshifting abilities and long life comes from Seren, another offspring of Mah, but not directly like with Moia. The shapeshifters got their powers from crystals containing traces of Seren’s essence. Crystal shapeshifters began as entirely different creatures - elves not made by Mah - that have adopted the traces of essence of Seren left on Tarddiad.

So even though Seren is a more coherent descendant of Mah than the Mahjarrat (in that she meant to create her and has more power), the crystal shapeshifters got so little from her that they are far below the Mahjarrat and even Moia I would say in terms of strength.

Imagine Mah as a concentrated drink in a glass. Zaros and Seren are a tidy amount of water added. The Mahjarrat are a quatre of the glass. Moia is say half. Crystal shapeshifters are an entire glass of water diluting the power, maybe more so.

I’d also severely doubt the crystal shapeshifters are on any sort of god tier. The traces of Seren have been diluted so much it enhances them but does not count as god tier. I’d imagine it being like the measure. Sure it is an elder artefact but so weak it is barely worth mentioning. Maybe if you managed to siphon all the Seren essense from a incredible amount of shapeshifters very efficient, you might nudge into tier 7.

But I wouldn’t see it as god like as all. They are elves pushed to the extreme removing all emotion and thought and acting on a all consuming need. So more powerful than regular elves but not enough to beat us.

The crystal shapeshifters are a fascinating group, one of the best things introduced in recent years IMO and dripping with potential but not near Mahjarrat or god levels.

Or we should just do a slayer task and win the contest for the Stone of Jas.

05-Dec-2016 07:42:27

Hazeel

Hazeel

Posts: 6,735 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No. Not at all. Don't ever suggest it again. Never. Runescape doesn't need a hero...it needs a villain. An all encompassing force of evil that will remain ever-threatening and use chaos to make the peoples of Gielinor tolerate each other, grow strong together, and fight side by side against this evil. I am that villain.

05-Dec-2016 07:47:28

Angof Cywir

Angof Cywir

Posts: 66 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Half Centaur said :
I think you're closer to the order of ascension. Mortal origin- in a desperate attempt at the divine, just different intent behind each.

How dare you compare us to those savages! We shapeshifters are way closer to divinity than the Order! The Order's puke-green crystals didn't come from an elder god directly. It came from Guthix's divine essence and the anima, and Guthix's power came from Skargaroth, and Skargaroth probably got his powers from another god and so on to the genesis point where probably the first being probably got it from hanging around an elder artefact for too long. Now, we shapeshifters got our crystals directly from Seren, who was hand crafted by Mah's essence. We are like the Mahjarrat more than anything else, along the lines of Moia!

Hazeel said :
No. Not at all. Don't ever suggest it again. Never.

shush! You nasty creatures of darkness just don't want competition.
I submissively obey Lady Seren's every whim and relish every waking moment willingly serving her. She is my mistress and I am nothing without her. I am without thought, self-awareness, and being without her. She is my everything.

05-Dec-2016 09:00:14 - Last edited on 05-Dec-2016 09:28:11 by Angof Cywir

Hguoh

Hguoh

Posts: 7,581 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Are we just supposed to ignore the most glaring issue with this theory: the crystal shapeshifters aren't made of Seren's crystal. As was explained in TLW, the crystal that converted the elves into shapeshifters was Tarddiad's own crystal that had been suffused with some part of Seren's power during her time spent there.

Beyond that, there appears to be an inherent misunderstanding that being composed in some part of Zaros's or Seren's crystals would make one a Mahjarrat or Mahjarrat adjacent. If that were all it takes, however, than Nex would also be considered just as Mahjarrat-ish as she was given sentience when Zaros combined a shard of his being with her.

As for the OoA crystal comparison, it is important to note that their origin lies tangential to Guthix rather than directly from his power. They are the result of combining some Tears of Guthix and some rune stones. As such, the OoA crystals build their power from 4 sources: the SoJ (rune essence), elemental energy (rune altars), Anima (ToG), and Guthix himself (ToG). Whilst not directly from an Elder God, it does seem like a plausible recipe for imitating their power to me.

05-Dec-2016 12:51:00

Half Centaur
Jun Member 2010

Half Centaur

Posts: 6,959 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I really don't see a big difference between the source of the power for the OoA and the shapeshifters. They're both forms of anima, its just the latter is far more elegant and was shaped by a god through part of the way that knew what she was doing.

Also, when you say that you're light mahjarrat, that seems to imply that Mahjarrat are inherently dark, which isn't really the case imho. They just gravitated towards more militant spells to keep alive. That could very well change without the rituals though, in due time.
"We call it being a hero"
"That's interesting, we call it utter stupidity"

05-Dec-2016 15:35:47

Hguoh

Hguoh

Posts: 7,581 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Half Centaur said :
Also, when you say that you're light mahjarrat, that seems to imply that Mahjarrat are inherently dark, which isn't really the case imho. They just gravitated towards more militant spells to keep alive. That could very well change without the rituals though, in due time.

I assumed that Angof here was referring more to that part of the reason Mah made the Mahjarrat was to replace Zaros. This would mean that while they would be comprised by various forms of magic/substances, dark magic (what Zaros was made of) would be the most prominent type.

As the crystal shapeshifters incorporated the residual power left by Seren's presence into their being, they'd, of course, be made of some degree of light magic (what Seren is made of).

05-Dec-2016 17:24:10 - Last edited on 05-Dec-2016 17:24:25 by Hguoh

Solanumtinkr

Solanumtinkr

Posts: 22,240 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Half Centaur said :
I really don't see a big difference between the source of the power for the OoA and the shapeshifters. They're both forms of anima, its just the latter is far more elegant and was shaped by a god through part of the way that knew what she was doing.

I think you will find that when she referred to dark and light it was to do with the simulacrum crystal types zaros and seren have. Zaros' is dark. Seren's is light.
So Dark crystal Mahjarrat and Light crystal Mahjarrat, would there be a difference? Good and evil never enter into it.
The purpose of adventure is to shine light into dark places,
Poke monsters with a sharp stick, Then steal anything that isn't nailed down!
To the Manor Born QFC 185-186-367-65788716

05-Dec-2016 19:24:30

Quick find code: 341-342-582-65857322 Back to Top