Forums

Is Kal'ger Really an Infernal?

Quick find code: 341-342-264-66019813

OrangeSphere

OrangeSphere

Posts: 168 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello everyone!

I'm currently trying to collect as much information on the demon races as I can, and I was wondering where in the game it explicitly states that the Kal'gerion demons are actually infernals. I've searched around, but beyond a vague allusion in Palkeera's memory, I haven't found anything confirming their infernal-ness.

Based on their physical traits and behaviors, I am much more inclined to believe that they are avernic demons, seeing as they share the body structure and general violent culture of avernic demons, and since the massive schism between avernic and chthonian demons would suggest that infernals are also bound to be significantly different than the other two.

Here's what I know:

Avernic Demons
- Brawny build, often very tall, ressemble traditional European "demonic" depictions.
- Culture glorifies war, always very aggressive and destructive.
- They explode on death, likely why Chthonians can't eat them.
- Barbaric tone...

Chthonian Demons
- Bulbous build, lots of tentacles and fleshy bits, Lovecraftian in appearance.
- Culture is decadent and bureaucratic, like the worst parts of Rome.
- Can eat other beings to gain their power - but NOT avernic demons.
- They do NOT explode on death. Instead, they disintegrate calmly.
- Very Latin...

Infernal Demons
- We don't know what they look like...
- We don't know what they think like...
- We don't know their vibe...

Notice that Kal'ger and his associates match the avernic description almost perfectly. They are brawny, glorify violence (to the point of actually annoying Bilrach), they explode on death, and resemble traditional European depictions of demons. Now, granted, I could be miserably wrong about this, so if you do have proof of their infernal lineage, please let me know.

16-Jun-2018 00:07:14

Wahisietel
Oct Member 2005

Wahisietel

Posts: 3,426 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
JMods have confirmed that they are infernals. Their pre-graphical update graphics were distinct from avernic, but alas. IIRC Mod Jack said he'd thought of a lore reason for this at one point. You never were our brightest star, Khazard. 'Vermin slaughtered like lambs'? What does that even mean?

16-Jun-2018 00:55:45 - Last edited on 16-Jun-2018 00:55:54 by Wahisietel

Kailithnir
May Member 2006

Kailithnir

Posts: 2,107 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That JMod comment Wahisietel mentions seems to be our only source claiming Kal'Ger and his generals are Infernals (and possibly also the generic "Kal'Gerion Demons" in the resource dungeon). Everything else for all the world points to their being Tsutsaroth Avernic, kin of K'ril and Gree'Gar. Unless and until we get a second source - preferably something ingame - placing Kal'Ger et al as Infernals, I personally subscribe to the notion that they are Tsutsaroth.

By the way, you mention that Chthonians have an amorphous morphology (which going by word roots should be an oxymoron), but Abyssal Demons and Nechrael are also supposed to be Chthonian. My personal headcanon explanation is that only particularly ancient and powerful Chthonians are blobby like that, from millennia of devouring creatures of all kinds. As they take the essence of so many and divers beings into themselves, they lose their once-coherent form.

07-Jul-2018 08:46:12

Hguoh

Hguoh

Posts: 7,581 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kailithnir said :
By the way, you mention that Chthonians have an amorphous morphology (which going by word roots should be an oxymoron), but Abyssal Demons and Nechrael are also supposed to be Chthonian. My personal headcanon explanation is that only particularly ancient and powerful Chthonians are blobby like that, from millennia of devouring creatures of all kinds. As they take the essence of so many and divers beings into themselves, they lose their once-coherent form.

I mean, sort of...

Chthonians have some capacity to control the traits of their spawn, and they have an inclination to do so for their own benefit rather than that of their race. Younger Chthonians are therefore fairly likely to have been created to serve older Chthonians and be comparatively simple.

Older Chthonians, on the other hand are more likely to have have come from the time before Hostilius's bureaucracy when only the strongest and most cunning Chthonians survived the cannibalism of others (and to, in turn, cannibalize them), which gives them a higher inclination toward complex physiology.

Over time of course, a relatively simple spawn could accrue traits from those it consumes to become like their progenitors. That being said, I question how many Chthonians have done so given the bureaucratic quagmire of Hostilius's rulership and the race's relatively recent downfall. Because of this, I suspect the apparent variation owes more to the changes caused by Hostilius asserting control over the race than it does to age.

07-Jul-2018 10:15:38

Quick find code: 341-342-264-66019813 Back to Top