Forums

New Barrows Content!

Quick find code: 322-323-867-66288683

Iron JammyJ
Mar Member 2023

Iron JammyJ

Posts: 10 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
New Barrows Content!

Don’t get me wrong, the Barrows Brothers is a brilliant piece of mid-level PVM content that is extremely nostalgic. However, I have been thinking about how it could be expanded to create some additional challenging higher-level content and rewards.

The Basic Concept:
Introduce a new Sliske story line quest that provides more of the background surrounding the creation of the Barrows Brothers. This quest could potentially follow on / branch off from the Desert Treasure storyline. Completion of this quest will unlock a new crypt that exists deep bellow the current Barrows Brothers loot room and contains a new high-level PVM duo boss (similar to the Grotesque Gardians).

How this fits into Runescape lore:
Currently, there is no mention of the Barrows Brothers parents in OSRS lore. I am proposing a concept that Saradomin had empowered the parents of the Barrows Brothers, Athena the wise and Vulcan the powerful. This was in order to persuade their children to fight for him in the God Wars. Sliske was quick to identify Saradomin’s plan and rather than killing them decided it would be fun to persuade the parents to serve him by providing them with the same artifacts as the Borthers. However, these artifacts proved too powerful for the parents and Sliske, fearing they would attempt to take the brothers from his grasp, decided to kill the parents. They were buried deep in Morytania to prevent Saradomin ever finding them, and a powerful necromancy spell was cast on their tomb ensuring that if anybody did ever find them, they would regret it.

13-Oct-2023 21:30:56

Iron JammyJ
Mar Member 2023

Iron JammyJ

The Quest:

The quest would be started by speaking with the Strange Old Man after completion of “His Faithful Servants” and potentially at least Desert Treasure 1 (maybe 2). The Strange Old Man would ask the player to help with the upkeep of the barrows crypts. This would involve upgrading the wooden struts, doors and clearing rocks within the tunnels (high level construction and mining requirements). After this, he will produce an ancient gem which needs to be repaired and attached to the chest in the centre of the tunnels (high level crafting requirement). Once the player does this, the floor in the centre of the loot room will give way, revealing a deep hole leading to the crypt of Athena the wise and Vulcan the powerful. Once this has been completed, the crypts will no longer start to collapse when the chest is looted, there will no longer be rocks and debris scattered throughout the tunnels, and the player will be able to open any of the doors within the crypt. This will not include the central mechanism doors which will still be random during the barrows minigame. This will be the end of the quest and the new PVM content is unlocked. Completion of this quest WILL NOT affect the current barrows minigame apart from improving some of the mechanics as already mentioned. The boss fights will remain the same as will the loot.

13-Oct-2023 21:31:19

Iron JammyJ
Mar Member 2023

Iron JammyJ

Athena the Wise and Vulcan the Powerful:

Athena and Vulcan will be a difficult high-level PVM solo boss that require the player to use specific mechanics to defeat them. Players will access the crypt by deploying a rope in the loot room of the barrows minigame. Upon entering their crypt, the players prayer will be completely disabled and there is no way to restore it. This will be an instanced area and if the player dies, their items will be retrieved by the Stange Old Man who will charge 100k to return them to the player. The fight will be started by the player attempting to loot the crypt in the centre of the room which houses the bodies of Athena and Vulcan. Athena will use both ranged and magic attack whilst Vulcan will only use melee. Initially each boss will take it in turns attacking the player until they reach 20% health when they will both attack at the same time. There will be mechanics used throughout the room that enable the player to avoid some or all of the damage for certain attacks. This fight will very much be a tank test and require the player to have high level defensive equipment and food.

13-Oct-2023 21:31:51

Iron JammyJ
Mar Member 2023

Iron JammyJ

The LOOT!:

I am proposing that the main reward from this PVM content will be Athena’s and Vulcan’s armour. This will consist of a helmet, body and legs armour.
Athena’s armour will have an 80 defence, ranged and magic requirement to wear whilst Vulcan’s armour will have an 80 defence, attack and strength requirement.
Athena’s armour will be a hybrid ranged/magic armour and have a set bonus that enables the wearer to use the set benefit of either Ahrim’s or Karils’s when their respective weapons are equipped. The armour will provide a %3 magic damage bonus and +3 ranged strength bonus (+1 for each piece). I am currently unsure what the defensive stats will look like, however this can be tested to ensure it is balanced.
Vulcan’s armour will be a melee armour and have a set bonus that enables the wearer to use the set benefit of either Dharok’s, Guthan’s, Torag’s or Verac’s when their respective weapons are equipped. The armour will have a +5 strength bonus (+1 for the helmet and +2 for both the body and legs). The defensive stats will be slightly better than Dharok’s as well as providing the strength bonus.
Both sets of armour will be looted in a broken state and require charging in order to gain their powers. This will be done by providing a new item “Barrows Scrap” and coins to the Strange Old Man along with the item(s) the player would like to charge. Barrows Scrap is obtained by breaking down the Barrows Borthers equipment (this should give less desirable barrows equipment more demand and increase its value). A helmet or weapon would provide 1 piece of scrap, legs 2 pieces and a body 3 pieces. 3 pieces would be required to charge each piece of Athena’s / Vulcan’s armour along with 100k and would last for 10,000 hits.
A secondary reward would be Athena’s necklace which would be a hybrid ranged/magic necklace that provided a slight damage bonus to both styles as well as defensive stats.

13-Oct-2023 21:32:10

dragonmist49
Jun Member 2022

dragonmist49

Posts: 11 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
man that's a lot to read but I dig it, just finished a barrows slayer task and couldn't help but think it needs something more, was personally just thinking a new piece of loot to make a new slayer helm that acts as a barrows helm or hybrid barrows boots and cape to go with the gloves and necklace but I'd +1 for any kind of new barrows content

18-Oct-2023 21:21:03

Iron JammyJ
Mar Member 2023

Iron JammyJ

Thanks for the support! Sorry it was such a long read... I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

I love barrows as it is and wouldn't want the mini game to change (apart from quality of life improvements as suggested).

I just would love the idea of something in addition to barrows that is challenging but also gives new life to the original mini game. If this was implemented as suggested, the idea of breaking down current barrows equipment to charge the new armour would certainly do that!

20-Oct-2023 17:04:53

Soulkillerpm
Jan Member 2023

Soulkillerpm

Posts: 4 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
man i love this idea, but to be honest, i would be fine if they stopped at just revamping barrows with a quest to clean up and fix stuff, then barrows is better. Now, the added boss fight would be an awesome addition, however instead of a rope to access the room... a key that can open a trapdoor found at the end of the quest. Then after the quest completion and maybe after like 50 chests, The key will start to drop at maybe 1/500 or more. then it can drive rarity of the new items and push more regular barrows items into the game. Imagine the key system similar to the ascended in rs3

04-Nov-2023 16:58:44

Quick find code: 322-323-867-66288683 Back to Top