Forums

Linking Items in Chat

Quick find code: 322-323-842-66269826

Chemdawg

Chemdawg

Posts: 6 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello friends,

Linking an item in chat that provides information isn't an unfamiliar feature to many. If you're acquainted with this topic, but would still like to read a few of my ideas please continue reading. If you've never used this feature before I mention a few possibilities on how it might work specifically on the users end. Players should be able to access an in-game chat feature that allows users to link & view an item in specific chat channels.

restricting this feature from being used in Public Chat to prevent abuse

How it Would Work:

Players would hover their curser over an item in their inventory or equipment tabs, and press a specific keybinds (ex:Shift + Z) causing the item's name to be mentioned in the players chat bar.

Other Ideas:

Player could select use on the item in the player inventory/equipment and then press a specific keybinds.
Player selects an in-game option either listed under the item(in the inventory/equipment tab or near the chat menu.
Player types command in chat bar (ex:/mention) then hover over the desired item.

What Players Would See:

After the player mentions a specific item they would be able to interact with the text by simply hovering their cursor over the text or by clicking the item's name. A small window with a transparent background, featuring the item's name with a list of characteristics(ex: bonuses, weight, Grand Exchange Rate, max/hp restore), should appear.

Other Ideas:

The item's name either highlighted, italicized, bold, or a different color than the player's chat settings. This would allow the player to tell if an item's was linked in chat or not.

Thanks for reading; feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas
&
Happy Holidays!

23-Dec-2022 00:22:55

Avid Sparx

Avid Sparx

Posts: 28,124 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've enjoyed being able to do this in other games...I remember when RS had the "auto-chat" deal that allowed one to link their level in a skill, and I don't see why this would be much different. 'Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.'
T. Pratchett, 1948-2015 RIP, you are missed

18-Jan-2023 00:53:42

Quick find code: 322-323-842-66269826 Back to Top