Forums

Gielinor Supply Centres

Quick find code: 322-323-443-66281860

The Stuff
Feb Member 2023

The Stuff

Posts: 248 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I recently watched a OSRS Podcasts video where they had former Mod Mat K on, and one of their discussions was on the issue of bots and their impact on the RS economy. Boiling it down, one main solution Mat K gave was to "legalize" RWT, and have Jagex take a small piece (e.g. 5%) of each trade, and hide the bots in separate worlds. I will say, that made me feel uneasy, as I'm sure it would for many players and perhaps J-mods alike. It is an interesting and worthwhile thing to consider though.

This got me thinking about another idea, which went kind of in the opposite direction: What if there were something like
Gielinor Supply Centres
?

What it is: The "Gielinor Supply Centres" could have game-generated, high-demand, heavily-botted items (e.g. flax, fish, logs, etc.) available to freely distribute to players at several major locations.

In order to not just tank prices, the amount of supplies dispensed could be fixed according to something like the current amount of supplies coming into the game daily via bots. The amount and quality of the supplies could also vary based on the player's individual achievements, such as combat level, quest points, base skill levels, total levels, boss kills, player kills, etc. Another option is allowing players to pay hefty one-time gold fees (e.g. starting in the tens of millions) to unlock more/better quality supplies in a rewards store format. Price floors and ceilings could also be managed by J-mods for certain items, to ensure various skills and activities remain viable money-making methods, while allowing merchant players to still turn decent profits on bulk items.

14-Jun-2023 16:00:31

The Stuff
Feb Member 2023

The Stuff

The main benefits:

1) Deflation of prices for common, high-demand, heavily-botted resources, which could justify something like more widespread/total bot-busting. Less bots = less strain on servers + more real people (immersion) encounters vs bots.

2) Content which recognizes and adequately rewards previous player achievements would make a lot of folks happy.

3) Players could continue spending more time doing the activities they enjoy, as opposed to having to make up for (e.g. picking flax) the lack of bot-generated supply in the economy.

4) Less market abuses + RWT, due to resources being more reasonably available to players.

5) Leads to more dev time being available for creating new, high-quality content, which would attract more players to the game.

Just curious to see what folks think. Honestly, the main goal of this suggestion is just to try to make the game more fun to play overall.

14-Jun-2023 16:00:53

mastercast3r
Mar Member 2023

mastercast3r

Posts: 438 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The Stuff said :
What it is: The "Gielinor Supply Centres" could have game-generated, high-demand, heavily-botted items (e.g. flax, fish, logs, etc.) available to freely distribute to players at several major locations.
Originally, the grand exchange was suppose to be the grand market doing precisely that. It was believed that almost no one actually did skilling for the skilling itself and that the majority of players were pkers. Knowing they would get a backlash they put out a poll to provide reasonable proof that people did not want to "waste" time gathering. They were shocked when they got the result that only 8% of the players were pkers and 46% were actually in the game to skill. (42% were playing to do quest). Thinking they had just asked the question wrong they asked how much time people spent in the wild. The lowest was 30 minutes a week or less. That got 60% of the votes. The one they expected, 10 hours or more per week only got 3% of the votes. They tried two more times before they finally accepted that the majority of players did not play the game to pk, but to skill.

So pking was taken out of the game instead of skill. You are not likely to get 75% of the votes to get rid of it now.

14-Jun-2023 21:29:12

The Stuff
Feb Member 2023

The Stuff

Mastercast8r,

Alright, that's some interesting information. I do think maybe there's been a misunderstanding or two here though.

1) The grand exchange is for the most part fine as is imo, this post was moreso meant to focus on creating new content (i.e., these would pretty much be small amounts of free supplies per player, as opposed to a player market like the G.E.).

2) It seems like you've gotten the sense that the supply centres are just targeted towards/pandering to pkers and against skillers. I am not trying to "get rid" of skilling in any way, shape, or form. I have skilled plenty myself on both OSRS currently, and RS3 back in the day. I'm currently working up to trying out pking. This content suggestion was meant to improve gameplay for players of all stripes. Skillers, in practical terms, would not be too affected by this. Players mostly skill for the exp drops, 99s, capes, and perks, none of that would be threatened by this, in fact, it would be more rewarding for those who have done more in the game. Additionally, if J-mods were to add some light price moderation (some common/bulk items) as I suggested along with the supply centres, skillers and merchants alike wouldn't have to worry about their profits being affected.

3) I'm thinking in couple different ways in terms of how players would be affected by this. The Gielinor Supply Centres (GSCs, going forward) could free up time and lessen anxiety for players who do want to try out higher-stakes, more engaging content (e.g., bossing, pking). It's not meant to just replace gathering or production, as I said, just small amounts dispensed (maybe two inventories worth per day?). I'm also thinking of folks who typically play other games, but who might find the skilling/grind aspects a bit daunting. If you've ever tried to convince anyone to play RS in general, you know this is a real problem.

A response to your last comment: Didn't sailing start out as an April Fool's joke?

15-Jun-2023 18:02:34

mastercast3r
Mar Member 2023

mastercast3r

Posts: 438 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Many of the resources that skiller get are sold to people wanting to buy their levels. This means that we gather the resources and sell them on the ge for a decent money. IF you were to sell those from a supply center, you would destroy the prices. The ge price would ALWAYS be a little below what ever price was in the center.

There is no way that you can add more supply without destroying the skiller economy to the point that more of us would leave.

A few years ago, jagex wanted to add something to wilderness mobs drops that would encourage pvmers to go to the wild, and thus creating a supply chain, with the pvmers being the bottom of the food chain. The problem came when they decided to add a set of armor that would decay, meaning that it would need to be replaced frequently. The problem is it would have competed with armor that was gathered outside the wild and which also decades. Since the time they would be used would be similar, the only difference would be the outlay of the original price of the regular armor. This created a fear that people would buy the pvp armor instead of the regular armor. The jmods finally promised that they would not make it available to use outside of pvp areas, but a supposedly mistaken link lead to a post that said they would be used outside of pvp. They changed it after the voting started but the vote was based on the first post and it was negative. We said if they would redo the poll with the correct link from the beginning, we would agree to it. Instead of doing so, they decided to dump a huge amount of resources on the game.

The result was that every price in the game suddenly nose dived. Pkers complained that instead of getting 10m an hour as promised, they were getting less than 1 mil. Jagex quickly fixed it, but the damage had been done. The only player numbers went from 500k most days to only 100k most of the time.

16-Jun-2023 00:34:25

Quick find code: 322-323-443-66281860 Back to Top