Forums

Long Overdue F2P Changes

Quick find code: 322-323-134-66274717

Sir Codeman

Sir Codeman

Posts: 53 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
For a very long time I have always felt that free to play players should be able to use up to yew bows for ranging. Mostly because free to play players can chop up to yew trees while woodcutting. Also free to play players max out with rune armor and weapons and the yew bows would allow free to play players to use rune arrows which only makes sense. Also I would like to see fletching become a free to play skill that would max out at creating yew bows and rune arrows. This only makes sense and would make for a more complete game experience for free to play players. Sir Codeman

15-Feb-2023 20:59:49

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Posts: 389 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I support your idea of being allowed to do more with yew related logs but I'm hesitant to introduce an existing P2p skill into F2p as it'd tarnish the fairly good nostalgia that the F2p version of the game successfully maintains.

With regards to the notion of a complete game experience, I've always felt the current state of the free game provides much more than a demo. There's many players who made most of their childhood memories on the free version of the game. Nevertheless I do respect your opinion on this. :)

I'd be quite interested to see whether the current F2p game is enough to attract new players or where new players are actually dropping off. That would help aid future changes to F2p imo.

16-Feb-2023 04:12:58

Sir Codeman

Sir Codeman

Thanks for your point of view Zeffirino. I understand where you're coming from as far as if we keep everything the same the nostalgia would be perfect and unchanged. I want to point out that old school rs as a whole has several changes from what it once was but I think most of them have been for the better. In some ways I think we've gone a little too far but I understand we still need new content to keep players engaged so there needs to be a balance.

I also want to let you know I agree with your comment that F2P provides a lot more than a demo because it 100% does. I think JAGEX's intent for F2P was always to have it resemble a complete game and membership would unlock much more and we can all agree that it does that now.

There were many incomplete areas of this game from 07, which is was what OSRS is based off of. Since then there have been a ton of fixes and loose ends have been tied up. I view this as another one of those loose ends. Let's face it, F2P maxes out with rune armor and weapons. It should be no different with range, it should max out with rune arrows and yew bows.

Another perspective I would like to point out is that to achieve a complete F2P game, it should be possible for players to be able to gather all of the resources they need. For example if I was an ironman and I could not trade, currently I can grind high enough mining to mine rune and high enough smithing to make my own rune weapons and armor. It should be no different with rangers to get high enough woodcutting and fletching to make rune arrows and yew bows. To go one step further, arguably it should also be possible for F2P players to runecraft up to death runes as they can use them and cast the spells, but they cannot craft them.
Sir Codeman

16-Feb-2023 21:18:57

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Posts: 389 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Definitely agree with your overrall intentions Codeman, I think ranging equipment is definitely a good way to bridge these issues.

Tying loose ends is extremely important especially if the lack of it is resulting in new players dropping off so I do hope we get some version of what you're suggesting.

Although I'm not sure crafting deaths would be possible for F2p given the fact that crafting them is locked behind MEP part 2 which is a members quest. Perhaps easier access might be food for thought here. :)

17-Feb-2023 05:19:06

Sir Codeman

Sir Codeman

Zeffirino thanks for your support! Yes I am unsure how F2P players would be able to craft deaths due to the member's areas and quest MEP2, but I'm sure JAGEX could come up with something if there's a will there's a way! Sir Codeman

17-Feb-2023 22:29:07

Quick find code: 322-323-134-66274717 Back to Top