Use of VPN in OSRS

Quick find code: 317-318-614-66290148

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,980 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Using a VPN is like putting a 3rd party between you and '
Jagex's Servers
'.

Can you trust your VPN? That's up to you to find out, if there are issues with your Jagex/RuneScape account(s) it will be your responsibility and yours only.
Some people do use a VPN, but personally, I do not recommend one.

You always are entitled to protect yourself your way if you think you need to. There's no rule that prohibits you from using a VPN.

If a VPN starts acting up doing illegal actions against '
Jagex's Servers
' problem is Jagex/JMods are entitled to take action upon these issues.

10-Nov-2023 08:08:40

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 9,000 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey, Chronotach.

There is nothing malicious nor against the rules in using a reputable VPN to play RuneScape; however, there are two potential issues that you may come across if you embark on this path:

1) You may be flagged for rule-breaking IF you utilize a VPN that's known to be used by rule-breakers. This means that it's highly recommended to do some research on VPNs to ensure that you don't get mislabeled as a rule-breaker. Usually, the free VPNs are the ones that cause an issue, but always make sure before you continue.

2) Your digital record with Jagex may be non-existent . This means that if you EVER have to recover your account -- for whatever reason(s) -- it may be impossible to do so as VPNs do not allow Jagex to create nor maintain a digital record of your account. With that being said, ensure that your account is completely secured -- See Security tips -- to avoid the possibility of ever having to try to recover your account.

Other than the above, as long as you are careful, your gameplay shouldn't be affected :) .

10-Nov-2023 15:56:53

Inq
Oct Member 2023

Inq

Posts: 314 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I find it incredibly misleading that jagex does not make a more clear stance on VPNs. Their current stance is a bit under handed and gets many innocent users banned. Many botters use vpns and they get many ips flagged. when you use a vpn its random what ip adress you get. Its very easy for you to accidently get an ip that has already been plagged by somone else who was botting. does this mean most vpn users are botters? Id say no. But becaause jagex wont come out and ourtight say "usuing a vpn can get you banned" is very misaleading because average people think they are just protecting themselves by using a vpn. Just like anti virus. Would you expect jagex to possibly ban you for using anti virus or safety measures? NO. But they do and they hide the fact that they use these essentially publically available vpn ip adresses as the main factor for banning accounts and thats just plain wrong that they openly still say vpns wont get you banned because they have vpn sponsors and vpns would lobby against them because they are marketed as safety measures. so they have this weird stance of supporting it publically but condemming it privately against many innocent people. The botters just move on to the next vpn adress while genuine users have years of work destroyed with no evidence or any real chance to appeal. I find this very underhanded and misleading by jagex. ^.^

22-Nov-2023 22:37:54

Bruce Waayne
Oct Member 2023

Bruce Waayne

Posts: 4,611 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I use a vpn all the time EXCEPT for scape, because every time i use my VPN i gotta put in my auth code after the 3rd time of doing that i just closed the VPN too much trouble. But i never got a ban or a warning or anything like that from using it. Have common sense dont have an auto typer or clicker program running on your PC and you wont get banned, ect.
OSRS - Filled with harassers sad...~
- Give me Private Hiscores this should not be public information! - ! REMOVE OSRS TAX !

24-Nov-2023 18:47:38 - Last edited on 24-Nov-2023 18:48:40 by Bruce Waayne

Quick find code: 317-318-614-66290148 Back to Top