Forums

Randomly logged out of forums

Quick find code: 278-279-685-66188746

Pepsi River

Pepsi River

Posts: 216 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think there was a recent post concerning this but I don't know.
I wanted to say that if I was really that concerned about my runescape account, I'd surely have a password set for my logging into my PC and have it sleep after so long.
More than that, I don't understand this logic; if someone hijacked my account why would it matter if I was logged out of the forums. Isn't typing my login details actually more risky, than not? I've never been hacked on rs in the 15 years I've played, but I don't know what it's like for other people.
But still, if I got a RAT on my pc, it wouldn't matter if I was logged out of the forums or not, they'd still have control over everything and be able to view anything for when I did log in to the game or whatever.
It's an issue that literally is up to the player to solve, and giving them training wheels will negatively impact the rest of us. I'm not going to lean towards one side here though.
Convenient links
Forum Help V2 : Support Centre : Too many logins?

12-Nov-2020 23:58:27 - Last edited on 13-Nov-2020 00:10:51 by Pepsi River

Tranq
Nov
fmod Member

Tranq

Forum Moderator Posts: 61,815 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Actually if you don't interact with the forums at all for a period of 1 hour it logs you out. That isn't posting that just clicking on any thread or forum section. There's an automatic 6 hour logout no matter what.

The forums are different than in game. A permanent ban here isn't appealable. So if someone got access to your account cause you weren't at the computer and did something to warrant a permanent ban from the forums. You'd be responsible for it and the account wouldn't be foruming any longer.

So it's for our safety. Yes there are days I find it annoying if I get busy with something else and realize I gotta log back in. There are some days I hit the mandatory 6 hour mark, and there are other days where I could be logging in 5+ times dependent on real life getting in the way. Still at the same computer the whole time but it depends if I have projects that need doing or not.
When the day becomes the night and the sky becomes the sea, when the clock strikes heavy and there’s no time for tea; and in our darkest hour, before my final rhyme, she will come back home to Wonderland and turn back the hands of time.

13-Nov-2020 11:52:01

Pepsi River

Pepsi River

Tranq said :
Actually if you don't interact with the forums at all for a period of 1 hour it logs you out. That isn't posting that just clicking on any thread or forum section. There's an automatic 6 hour logout no matter what.

The forums are different than in game. A permanent ban here isn't appealable. So if someone got access to your account cause you weren't at the computer and did something to warrant a permanent ban from the forums. You'd be responsible for it and the account wouldn't be foruming any longer.

So it's for our safety. Yes there are days I find it annoying if I get busy with something else and realize I gotta log back in. There are some days I hit the mandatory 6 hour mark, and there are other days where I could be logging in 5+ times dependent on real life getting in the way. Still at the same computer the whole time but it depends if I have projects that need doing or not.

That's kind of strange that you can't appeal forum bans, when they can check IP address of accounts and see if an account was hijacked anyways.
I guess if an account posted nudity or something, it'd be too risky for the company to allow that user to stay on the forums, even if the culprit was likely someone else.
(I'm not saying this is factual, but it's a possibility).
Also there's no way to know if it was someone else if it's the same IP.
But still, a reply I made to another related thread:

Miles Prower said :
Would be nice to see an option to remain logged in for a few days.

I agree with this. The site seems user-unfriendly in certain aspects.
It's like sacrificing a convenient system so we can have 'better' security, which may or may not help prevent hacking or intrusions. There's a sign out button, so a user should be responsible enough to use it, and not sign into the forums on a public device to begin with.
Convenient links

13-Nov-2020 12:26:48 - Last edited on 13-Nov-2020 13:08:42 by Pepsi River

Pepsi River

Pepsi River

I definitely got logged out randomly just now. I was interacting with the forums, had just posted something, then I was logged out, I logged back in and it happened again in a matter of seconds. I think this thread sort of went off-topic, when the original issue is an apparent bug. I apologize for that, I wanted to discuss the auto logout in general also. Convenient links

13-Nov-2020 20:09:45 - Last edited on 13-Nov-2020 20:14:16 by Pepsi River

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Pepsi River said :
I definitely got logged out randomly just now. I was interacting with the forums, had just posted something, then I was logged out, I logged back in and it happened again in a matter of seconds.

It seems like you went over the 6hr limit then as was mentioned:

Tranq said :
Actually if you don't interact with the forums at all for a period of 1 hour it logs you out. That isn't posting that just clicking on any thread or forum section. There's an automatic 6 hour logout no matter what .

Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

13-Nov-2020 23:06:21

Pepsi River

Pepsi River

Draco Burnz said :

It seems like you went over the 6hr limit

It happened within a minute after I logged back in.
The only conditions I could think that may've caused it, is having multiple tabs of the forums opened when the logout happens. So like you try to navigate somewhere on the forums in one tab, then are logged out, but still logged in on the other tab, so you log back in, but then get logged out from the other tab again. I guess that would make sense, but it could be something else. I'm not sure if those conditions were even met last time, and I haven't had an opportunity to test it yet. I know I had two tabs open though.
Convenient links

13-Nov-2020 23:35:17 - Last edited on 14-Nov-2020 00:03:19 by Pepsi River

Quick find code: 278-279-685-66188746 Back to Top