Forums

server reduction - again?

Quick find code: 259-260-99-66140715

Roddy Piper
Jan Member 2011

Roddy Piper

Posts: 13,751 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I saw on the livestream today they are considering once again to remove servers.

Because they like having people around and occasionally a player will ask for that.

I am saying nip it in the bud! Nip it!

1. Right now I checked the most populated world (2). Apparently it is at the same physical location as my preferred server. Nearly identical pings. But due to the heavy load W2 lags EVERYWHERE. No matter how many players are on screen.

2. Every player has the choice to play on that server or any number with increased player counts. So don't cry about the quiet ones.

3. These worlds are funded by membership and OBVIOUSLY a fair amount of players still choose to play on the quiet worlds. It ain't like Osborne has to fork over the cash for this.

4. MY settings and choices. They are going on about more choice for TH but I CHOOSE not to see: overhead skill icons. Wings. Ridiculous oversized pets. People walking in circles. Silly cosmetic overrides that don't belong in the game. Silly walk animations that annoy me to no end. I used them for like 5 minutes and shut them off with good reason!

5. Chatting. There are numerous ways to communicate in-game. Clan chats. Friend chats and if you like to speak with one person at a time for whatever reason, private messages. So don't cry that you feel lonely!

You can claim there are positives to server reduction but I am not buying it. There is nothing you can come up without completely remaking the game to convince me otherwise.

28-Jan-2020 18:38:20

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

Posts: 65,226 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Roddy Piper said :
4. MY settings and choices. They are going on about more choice for TH but I CHOOSE not to see: overhead skill icons. Wings. Ridiculous oversized pets. People walking in circles. Silly cosmetic overrides that don't belong in the game. Silly walk animations that annoy me to no end. I used them for like 5 minutes and shut them off with good reason!
Haven't seen the livestream yet, but I agree... I wish I could disable all the TH/Solomans Store cosmetic off, because a lot of it is annoying and horrible to look at. A while ago someone asked for the toggle so players couldn't see it, and their response was something like "We're not going to add a toggle because it would make the game look bland"...
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

29-Jan-2020 08:06:08

Chee
Jul Member 2016

Chee

Posts: 1,946 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sal VJ said :
The reason they won't implement a toggle is because people wouldn't buy cosmetics. The sole reason cosmetics exist is to show off.

which they can do.........on worlds where their cosmetics are enabled

not everyone wants to walk around and have immersion ruined by the one idiot using jas hands and dwarven jetpack suit with a gigantic eyesore drake following them everywhere, all while trying to get maximum particles on their screen to blind other players

there's a name for that, actually........hold on, lemme see if I can find a picture

https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/images/0/05/Ug.png

fun fact: they smell about the same
@Chee__RS
Maxed
Ironwoman
Completionist
Q
ue
st Mas
te
r

Max: 28 Jan 2018 | MQC: 9 Aug 2019 | Comp: 18 Oct 2019

29-Jan-2020 23:29:55

Sci
Aug Member 2008

Sci

Posts: 612 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If I wanted to be on a high pop server id play on a high pop server. I swear to Rngesus if they take my homeworld again I'm going to self immolate or pout about it. We'll see which if the time comes. Look in the spoiler.
Why are you taking orders from a signature?

30-Jan-2020 00:25:33

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Posts: 18,096 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't wear cosmetics to show off. I wear them to create an avatar that
I
like looking at. It also helps me see myself if there's a lot of people in one area.
I agree they shouldn't reduce the number of servers again. I like a low population world to reduce lag.

30-Jan-2020 09:37:51 - Last edited on 30-Jan-2020 09:39:33 by Megycal

Follow
Jul Member 2010

Follow

Posts: 10,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Majority of players won't agree to the number of servers being reduced until the obvious problem of a few very contended resources/areas is resolved (abyssal demons, corrupted creatures, vyres, probably others I can't think of off the top of my head). Now, this requires design/dev work to devise a sustainable solution (such as creating instances, or, which is more difficult, providing alternatives or balancing changes so that these particular spots aren't swarmed any more - should vyres really be the way to train prayer?) And then there's the problem of players having homeworlds which can't be fixed in an agreeable way. Overall tough situation. Join the RuneScape community on Reddit in
/r/runescape

30-Jan-2020 21:44:20

Cyanid
Jan Member 2006

Cyanid

Posts: 24,133 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
More servers is better, this whole mind set of force everyone to be in the same area is just stupid. If you want to play on a populated server there are plenty of options available to you to do that. Lot of people don't like having 3 second delays on everything they do because of amount of people on a specific world though. Also as mentioned earlier, lot of people don't want to deal with other people and their obnoxious mtx items.

¸¬°™°¬¸
With
¸¬°™°¬¸
Closed Eyes
¸¬°™°¬¸
I §ee
¸¬°™°¬¸
’¸·ˆ·¸
¶¶
`»—«’
¶right¶
`•
†hrøugh
•’
¶¥øu¶
`»—«’
¶¶
¸·ˆ·¸‘
‘•»¸¸«¤°˜¯‘•¸
¶¶¶¶¶
`
¤•¤
¶¶¶¶¶
¸•’¯˜°¤»¸¸«•’
°¬_¸–’
’¸¤·¤¸‘
‘–¸_¬°

30-Jan-2020 22:25:49

Roddy Piper
Jan Member 2011

Roddy Piper

Posts: 13,751 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The response has been just as I expected. It blows my mind that the topic keeps coming up, and that Osborne would flat out say he supports the reduction and wants player feedback.

Been there. Done that. Is he even paying attention??

Still it is scary because these are the same people who cancelled holiday events when people were complaining about the increased demands of finishing events like the one in Lumbridge right now.

Jagex obviously has adjusted these events so that many players cannot finish them and would be forced to pay if they want the final reward.

31-Jan-2020 14:44:50

David James

David James

Posts: 4,475 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The sad reality is because a (very) small amount of players mentioned this, they're gonna do it anyway because it'll save them money.

I'm also one of the ones that customizes my character to what
like, I couldn't give half a shit to what other people thought. Anyone that cares what others think that much are just attention whores tbh.

Personally, if they upgraded servers to be able to handle more than a couple hundred players without becoming a lagfest I wouldn't mind it.

But we all know they're just gonna remove them without upgrading because "It was what players told us they wanted! More socialization!!" even though they know it's not actually what the majority of players want.

TL;DR, it'll happen anyway cuz it's an excuse to cut costs.

01-Feb-2020 00:40:57

Quick find code: 259-260-99-66140715 Back to Top