Forums

When did 'rares' spike?

Quick find code: 259-260-567-65996789

UtaChao

UtaChao

Posts: 1,702 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Like title said,

I know I've been on my iron for a while, but last time I checked, rares such as the santa variants and the h'weens were a lot less.

Like red was max 190m, now 400 and something.
Black was 250ish, now max stack +
Green h'ween was a simple 100 ish and now 400m+
Blue around 180? now 600m ish

Wth happened?
Ironman: Autark

12-Mar-2018 01:01:47

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

Posts: 65,226 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Rares spiked just after I sold mine so Jagex could taunt me in all the GP I lost

I'm not too sure why or when, but I'm assuming it's because a lot of people who have rares, eventually quit the game, but don't sell their rares... they're then stuck on an inactive account never to get again. Same thing with blue partyhats. Not too long ago they were like 4B each... now they're over 25B each..
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

12-Mar-2018 01:12:43

UtaChao

UtaChao

Posts: 1,702 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Loki said :
Rares spiked just after I sold mine so Jagex could taunt me in all the GP I lost

I'm not too sure why or when, but I'm assuming it's because a lot of people who have rares, eventually quit the game, but don't sell their rares... they're then stuck on an inactive account never to get again. Same thing with blue partyhats. Not too long ago they were like 4B each... now they're over 25B each..

25bn???!! What's the point. They may look nice, but genuinely I see no point in them. If I want to wear a rare I'll log into my os account.
Ironman: Autark

12-Mar-2018 02:20:04

Dsctatom
Dec Member 2023

Dsctatom

Posts: 12,987 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Step 1. Trade phat to friend for Xb
Step 2. Take screenshot and tell everyone on the forums it's worth that.
Step 3. Reverse the trade with your friend because they aren't that stupid.
Step 4. Wait a month or so and repeat step 1.
Step 5. Sell phat for stupid amount to some random person that has fallen for it.

12-Mar-2018 03:52:58

Bentoki
Jan Member 2023

Bentoki

Posts: 846 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I sold blue phat on a bit of a panic sale after Mod Osborne discussed and confirmed his bank bidders update for 8.5b. Planning to buy it back when it had crashed a little more. It's now sitting at over 30b rip. Around this time last year though.

12-Mar-2018 17:09:59

Posts: 5,208 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gItt-YNlNB4

Afriend made a very interesting video concerning this topic. All I can say is how glad I am to have my jack lantern mask. I don't even want to know how much it would be worth if it was tradeable. That and my combat beta contract. I am still not sure what that message means from the RS anniversary cake. But oh well...
`·¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸`·¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸
2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™
¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸·´¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸·´

12-Mar-2018 17:22:14

Riedon

Riedon

Posts: 4,098 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As of right now, RuneScape has no real money-sink except for invention. There is an extreme excess of gold in the game, and new gold is introduced into the game (drops from PvM, Slayer, alching, etc.) at a greater rate than it can be taken out. (Spending at shops, repairs, death's office, etc.)

That being said, rares are a great way to "invisibly" sink money (invisible because the wealth is there, but in items rather than being 'eaten' by the game). By players controlling high value items, it allows for lower-value items and consumables to not dramatically increase in price.

For example, Rune ore is stable around ~10k rather than increasing to ~30k because of the overpopulation of in-game wealth.

I hope this makes sense.
Addicted to Staking
| Happy 'Scaping!
Dangerous

13-Mar-2018 16:30:51

Quick find code: 259-260-567-65996789 Back to Top