Forums

Would you still play?

Quick find code: 259-260-331-66123847

UtaChao

UtaChao

Posts: 1,702 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"’Tis impossible to be sure of any thing but Death and Taxes"

- Christopher Bullock, 1716

Now I don't want to be negative, I've recently received motivation to start playing actively again for the first time in a long time (see my other thread), but as the above quote suggests, nothing lasts forever.

Here's the question, when Runescape breathes its last breath, if you were given the option to download the full game as a single player version, would you take it?

Probably not going to be an option, but I'd like to think that all my 'hard' work would not simply be wasted when the servers were finally closed down. I don't know when that will be, it's likely to be a sure thing however.

What do you think? Could you continue playing a single player version of the game, no internet / subscription required, no jmods, no other players, no trade?
Ironman: Autark

05-Oct-2019 15:04:28 - Last edited on 05-Oct-2019 15:05:15 by UtaChao

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,453 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nope, I wouldn't. The main appeal of this game is the fact it's online.

You may choose to go your own way and play alone, but you are not actually alone. There's still people surrounding you and you're aware of that.

I'd say a huge appeal of games like this are impressing others. We grind and build our characters not because we 100% want to do it for ourselves and only ourselves, but to impress others. It doesn't matter whether you're being direct (bragging outright to people) or saying nothing, it is likely one of the main driving forces for you deciding to grind something out. You want to look cool, you want your account to look good in front of others. Otherwise, I think many people would see very little point in grinding most things out on this game.

Then you have the social factor. Lots of people love interacting with others and meeting new people. It keeps people around. If people get bored of the game, they still find a reason to play because of the people they've met.

Take the people away and I think RS loses almost all of its appeal. Of course, they'll be people that may play it in single-player mode, but for how long? Is it a game they could play for decades? Like the online version? Or would the boredom slowly creep in as they begin to feel the loneliness and isolation?

RS isn't exactly what you would call an extremely fun game. It is very grindy. The people are what get you through those long grinds. I'd say both work together (that being people and the grind) to create a game that we just can't seem to fully quit. RS needs both to work well and that's why it's still somewhat popular today. Take one away and the game just..dies, imo.

06-Oct-2019 02:54:01

Lithuanian
Apr Member 2014

Lithuanian

Posts: 2,913 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No. Group content is the only thing left for me to complete that I still enjoy.
Success
consists of going from
failure
to
failure
without loss of
enthusiasm

5.6b xp [x] Moa [x] Mqc [x] Trim [x] Boss/Slay Logs [x] Max Runescore [x]

06-Oct-2019 12:53:22

SanguineMage
Sep Member 2023

SanguineMage

Posts: 1,922 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I wouldn't. I hate the combat system and think a lot of the bigger updates from the past couple years have been terrible. Right now, I basically only log on to do dailies. No other players means no GE (even though the economy is kinda messed up). The drop rates are bad for most things, so it'd just be a mess of chores.

06-Oct-2019 14:38:28

Chee
Jul Member 2016

Chee

Posts: 1,946 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
UtaChao said :
Here's the question, when Runescape breathes its last breath, if you were given the option to download the full game as a single player version, would you take it?

no, I find that a lot of the time when I'm training a skill I like to talk in FC/CC, not being able to talk to someone while training something like Dungeoneering sounds disastrous lol
@Chee__RS
Maxed
Ironwoman
Completionist
Q
ue
st Mas
te
r

Max: 28 Jan 2018 | MQC: 9 Aug 2019 | Comp: 18 Oct 2019

06-Oct-2019 23:59:58

UtaChao

UtaChao

Posts: 1,702 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Performs said :
I would just to keep my progress, but id most likely never play it.

I think I'd only do it for this. There's a part of me which likes playing the game and I hardly ever talk to real people anyway. I love single player games also. However, like many contributors to this, I find myself constantly looking around and engaging with people indirectly, be that stat sniping or looking at their wardrobe. I'd deffo want to keep some of my progress, maybe log in from time to time when I'm away from network connections.
Ironman: Autark

07-Oct-2019 15:11:33

J R Kerr
May Member 2007

J R Kerr

Posts: 7,222 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
idk. I have played every single fire emblem game, and I might take long half break (still dailies) with a switch lite to play FE three houses, and... comparing the two things...

FE royally kicks your ass, so you power level, and then dominate it for revenge. RS doesnt kick your ass so bad, and you cant quite dominate this game, so its way deeper and serves my purpose of virtual mandala (elaborate sand drawing to blow away once complete).

this aint my first rodeo though. I seen stuff like ultima online vanish, and it doesnt really come back the same way as a emu/rom.

like... how would I buy a seismic wand off GE? it couldnt quite exist in an emulated version of this game in the year 2045 or w/e. I could kinda ironman my way through and use a nox staff I guess, but... if I was signing up for that kind of abuse... I would actually want the game to be shallower, and have save points like resident evil, silent hill, etc. I did happen to play 15,000 hrs of RE OB f1 and f2 online, but thats a whole different story, cause I was injured and laid up with not a lot else I could do, and I am never doing that again on purpose. Later when RE revelations came out I was kinda proud of myself for playin on normal, clearing in like 15 hrs, and being done with it. I didnt have the same drive to be like gaaah must get SS rank and beat all the japanese girls for results.

and that version of RS that could be solo/offline would be like... do the quests and you've won. You would pretty much only need a sunspear. I already did that, so being honest... I might not want to do again, and would just move on. Don't let that sound like I didn't like it. I'm glad I played RS and killed a lot of time, and subdued impulses that woulda got me in trouble... like... I have pirate mechanic peers that distill their own gas, and Im a little tempted, but nah. Not going to jail is ftw.
I have quit rsof because moderator found comments about darklight bonus damage on demons "off topic" for wildy flash mobs full of demons

07-Oct-2019 20:17:20

Salve eel
May Member 2019

Salve eel

Posts: 5,007 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Although I agree with the people saying it wouldn't be as fun as a single player game, I think the fact it would never be updated is what would make me not play it. I would still be able to play and enjoy the company of other people who also play the game through discord... more than half of the time I type is on discord not the in game chat. I would probably play it for awhile but I would eventually true trim due to no updates and there would be no point whatsoever for me to continue.

08-Oct-2019 03:05:31

Quick find code: 259-260-331-66123847 Back to Top